Stock email app will not sync over wifi

mxpxpxpx

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
This is with the guest wifi, the employee wifi I use on my work laptop, and I can not use it on my phone to test. They are upgrading network equipment and one store out of 10 does not have the new routers yet. The one hold out seems to work with the stock email app. I'll verify next week if that is the case (hoping the one hold out has not installed them yet). These new CENA routers are more trouble than they are worth, but I can do nm nothing about it. Thanks again, any more questions let me know. It is baffling that gmail works on one app and not the other.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never had a Samsung phone (well, not counting the heyday of Samsung Windows Mobile phones -- long live the Omnia!:p), so forgive me if this is a silly question -- but are you using Knox on your phone, and if so, can you turn it off, at least as a test?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I think I've exhausted the possibilities that come to mind. I've encountered various situations with public wi-fi networks, but that's usually an inability to even log into the network due to the captive portal giving some kind of security error.

You can browse sites using the browser without problem, right? It's just so odd that the only app that seems to be affected is the stock email app.

mxpxpxpx

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I can browse just fine. Yes it is weird that only the stock email app is affected. It's no big deal just seeing if it was a know issue or not. Thanks again for the help.

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had the problem from time to time for years. I use K9 mail, and occasionally I will run into a wifi network where I'm blocked for some reason or other. Usually it happens after a network I have been using for years does an upgrade to their routers and some new switch gets flipped and I can no longer POP. The ATT free wifi network has never worked for years with POP. There is a security setting that shuts it down.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting -- I was going to ask the OP if they tried IMAP, but then I saw in a previous post that the stock email app is in fact set to IMAP.:-\

mxpxpxpx

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have narrowed it down to these new Cena Routers the stores installed. 1 out of my 10 stores does not have them and it is the only store that works. Weird that they block the stock email app and not gmail.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's really nothing you can do if the router is set to block a port, unless you have the authority to unblock the port. (POP3, IMAP, HTTP and HTTPS all use different ports, so one can be blocked while the others aren't.)

mxpxpxpx

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, cant unblock ports. Does gmail use a different port than the stock email app? Does gmail use pop3 or imap, what does stock email use? Thanks again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky