Stock email really this bad?

mikeinstlouis

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey all!

Just got my Galaxy S6 yesterday and not sure if I am not just used to the changes in lollipop or if the changes are really that bad!
What happened to the organization of the old email app?

This may be the wrong thread and if so, please point me in the right direction.

I get a lot of spam at work, and sometimes it is easier to click on the date ticker, which selects all of the emails for that day and I can mark them as read or delete them.

Now, my emails are NOT organized by the day of the week

Now it is just one huge stream of emails with no way to pick multiple emails at once (ie by clicking the particular date) to delete or mark as read.

Am I just missing something?

Is there anyway to select multiple emails or do I really have to go through each email individually?

And , if this functionality is not available, can anyone recommend a good email app where I can select multiple emails at once, particularly by date? Otherwise the app is pretty much useless to me.

I have an out of the box Sprint Samsung Galaxy s6 that is unrooted.

Not lovin' these changes at all!!

Thanks all

Mikeinstlouis

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey all!

Just got my Galaxy S6 yesterday and not sure if I am not just used to the changes in lollipop or if the changes are really that bad!

I get a lot of spam at work, and sometimes it is easier to click on the date ticker, which selects all of the emails for that day and I can mark them as read or delete them.

Now it is just one huge stream of emails with no way to pick multiple emails at once (ie by clicking the particular date) to delete or mark as read.

Is there anyway to select multiple emails or do I really have to go through each email individually?

And , if this functionality is not available, can anyone recommend a good email app where I can select multiple emails at once, particularly by date? Otherwise the app is pretty much useless to me.

Thanks all

Mikeinstlouis

did you try new Gmail App? it does it all.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what the stock email client is on your phone but it seems you might be using the Gmail app.

You might try some advanced email clients like MailDroid, Type Mail or Cloud Magic to name a few. i've tried a lot of email clients and AquaMail is my default choice for all of our devices. AquaMail has configuration options for just about anything you can imagine and a lot of little tricks to make handling email quick and easy.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail&token=P2jWeIto

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I just compared the stock email app on my old gs3 and teh S6 and yo are right...it used to group easily by day. I am looking in settings but so far I don't see that option anywhere.

Gmail is NOT the stock email app ...we are talkning about the stock Androind Email app. Very different!

Also, I am looking in Gmail and I don't see a way to group by day either

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
@Erm10: The stock Samsung email app is not the stock Android email app. It's something Samsung dreamed up.

@npaladin-2000: I haven't used Nine myself except to piddle around a bit on a friend's phone, but from all I've seen and heard it's kick-**** for EAS. But it appears pretty specialized for EAS and in fact he uses another app for his other accounts.

jlinz

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey all!

Thanks all

Mikeinstlouis

I have used nine and other, but am currently giving the stock email app a try. You can select multiple emails by long pressing on any one email and then selecting the checkboxes which pop up. If you sort by date, the emails will be grouped by date with the date of the email appearing on the right side (with checkboxes on the left), so you should be able to achieve what you're looking for that way, if I understand what you're looking for.

I'm actually liking the stock email app more than I thought I would. Nine is solid as well.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
@Erm10: The stock Samsung email app is not the stock Android email app. It's something Samsung dreamed up.

@npaladin-2000: I haven't used Nine myself except to piddle around a bit on a friend's phone, but from all I've seen and heard it's kick-**** for EAS. But it appears pretty specialized for EAS and in fact he uses another app for his other accounts.

Didn't realize it was Samsung and not stock Android.

Yeah they took a step back on this feature. You used to be able to expand and collapse by date and it's definitely not there anymore.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I use outlook. I can't stand G mail and it's jerky nature. Slide to delete one email, then slide another. ...it slides up one notch. Then slide another to delete and the first email i deleted reappears. Doesn't happen all the time but enough for me to hate it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Another vote for the Microsoft Outlook App. It's outstanding and even sorts your email for you with remarkable precision so you only get notified on 'real' emails (from real people) rather than automated emails, if that's a setting you like.

ballaonnabudget

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Check out outlook, just make sure to switch off priority inbox if you want all your email in one stream. Do the same in your notification settings too else it will only alert you to priority emails.

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
They definitely have left out all the good features of the older app. One complaint you didn't talk about, which drives me nuts, is that in a reply the cursor isn't prepositioned in the reply space so you can type a paragraph and then find out that it doesn't count and go do it again because you didn't put the cursor in the correct location before you started typing.

mikeinstlouis

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the new stock samsung app is very bad.
I don't use outlook at work..we use google so I am not sure if that or Nine are options.

I think that people are missing the point of my original post.

I do NOT want to click each individual email to get rid of them.

I want to click ONE BUTTON to get rid of ALL OF THE EMAILS for that date.

Gmail does NOT do this.
UGH!
Is there anyway to voice complaints to Samsung? Whoever thought of these horrible changes should lose their jobs! Terrible update!

Amishtech

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
mikeinstlouis - I know the stock Mail client only allows to select each mail independently for marking as read. I recommend to try the "Type" mail app. This app allows to multi-select option to select all emails and mark all read at one time.

Bradskey

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
With this phone I just started pulling my pop3 mail into Gmail, since I was having trouble accessing it over corp wifi. The old Samsung mail app had an annoying bug where it wouldn't correctly handle deleting mail from an IMAP mailbox. I'd hoped they might actually notice and fix it someday (sort of like the annoying SHIFT+SPACE issue with their otherwise superior virtual keyboard), but it seems instead, like with other areas of the OS, they have simply removed features for no good reason.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If you're not using Google's Inbox app, you're missing out. Once you get it set up, the only email you ever read are the ones you WANT to read. It takes a couple of days to get used to it but it's like a J curve from there. I highly encourage that you sign up for it.

Inbox by Gmail - the inbox that works for you

I don't even bother setting up Sammy's email anymore. In fact, using Nova Prime to hide it was one of the first things I did.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
If you're not using Google's Inbox app, you're missing out. Once you get it set up, the only email you ever read are the ones you WANT to read. It takes a couple of days to get used to it but it's like a J curve from there. I highly encourage that you sign up for it.

Inbox by Gmail - the inbox that works for you

I don't even bother setting up Sammy's email anymore. In fact, using Nova Prime to hide it was one of the first things I did.

Correct me if I am wrong but Inbox only works for Gmail accounts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maryjay