T-Mobile Galaxy S3: free hotspot?

wally27

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Is there anyway to get fee hotspot with out rooting? I don't want to pay 15$ monthly. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: free hotspot?

Is there anyway to get fee hotspot with out rooting? I don't want to pay 15$ monthly. Thanks for the help.

No you must root their are apps that do it but most custom roms come with hotspots unlocked in the settings

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums

Podagrower

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm using one of the free apps to do it without rooting, easy.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

try foxfii. I have it on my droidx as a hotspots and powers up my tablet great

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

pobs123

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site

FoxFi works on Samsung phones, too. I am using it on TMO Galaxy S2. My boss is using it on AT&T Galaxy S3 (9300). Later this week, I will have TMO Galaxy S3 - so will confirm it works on the SGH-T999 too.

pobs123

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site

FoxFi works on Samsung phones, too. I am using it on TMO Galaxy S2. My boss is using it on AT&T Galaxy S3 (9300). Later this week, I will have TMO Galaxy S3 - so will confirm it works on the SGH-T999 too.

Does not seem to work on my SGH-T999, it starts without error but when I try to connect to it from my Android table - it does not connect - and the Wi-Fi connection (on the tablet) reverts back to "Saved" status. When I try to connect to other available W-Fi connections, the tablet connects fine.

dragondotcom

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

My friend has the S3 on ATT and it works with foxfi. But when I try it with Tmobile, never works. And took me 5 minutes to root my phone and install Wifi tether(FREE) and finally it works on Tmobile

DrKrizzle

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

Crap. Rooted, got Wi-Fi tether working, now got the warning from TMo that I need to pay for tethering. :mad:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site

This thread is old. At the time they were on 4.0.4 ICS. There were changes made with 4.1.1 JB and up that kill tethering apps unless rooted.

Jonathan Meade

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

I have the HTC one with sprint I don't want to pay 20 dollars for 2 gigs I've tried foxfi and pdanet and nothing is working and I dontbwant to root my phone yet

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

I ended up rooting my phone. Took me 3 years to attempt to root my phone. Didn't want to mess my phone up. This was To easy, I have a mac and used this link

How to Root Galaxy S3 on Mac OSX! U.S./Canadian ~ Ultimate Droid - Source for Android Rooting, ROMS, Tricks and more!

The wifi works now. Not sure what else i should do with rooted phone now. I'll post a new link for that

Did you just root the original ROM or did you use something else. You can look at Over/Downclocking, changing brightness below the minimum. The best part is being able to backup your apps and files, and the ability to look at all the file structure.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

M Campbell

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

Will FoxFi work on my un-rooted, T-Mobile Galaxy S2, ver 4.0.4 SGH-T989?

If so, is it a free app?

If not, what will work? Any free apps?

Thanks

grahamc1965

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Foxfi and the foxfi key, do you know aptoide ??
use version 2.12.2 . the ones after that are part of pda.net.
You do not have to be rooted , but you do have to allow unknown sources and enable debugging .
If you have the $70 tmo plan, you get 2.5 gb of tethering , if thats not enough, use foxfi. Also, if you tether your laptop, it would be best to get a user changing extension if you use firefox or chrome . That will bypass the 2.5 gb limit . If you tether another android , or tablet to your phone it doesnt go agianst the limit.