Taking video of trade-in

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I've read some are taking videos of the return process in case Samsung denies the return. There was something about the phone not being sent in the box if I recall correctly. They said they made a video of the entire process including dropping it off at FedEx.

Would you explain more about the problem and what was actually recorded?

Hardhat Harry

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I took mine to the T-Mobile store, and they bubble wrapped the phone, placed it in a box and printed the label and taped it to the box and secured the box. I then had him initial the tape. (All while videoing the process including the phone powered up and on the START page). T-Mobile returns are going via USPS.

I've heard too many horror stories here on AC the past several S series phones about returns.

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
This will be the 4th time I have returned a phone to Samsung after upgrade. I have never had a problem. When you drop it off a FedEx be sure to ask for a receipt so that you can track it. Note that when they do receive your return, it will take several days before they acknowledge that your trade in is valid (they send you an email). But, as I said, personally I have never had a problem with my trade ins.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I took mine to the T-Mobile store, and they bubble wrapped the phone, placed it in a box and printed the label and taped it to the box and secured the box. I then had him initial the tape. (All while videoing the process including the phone powered up and on the START page). T-Mobile returns are going via USPS.

I've heard too many horror stories here on AC the past several S series phones about returns.
I don't have Tmo, but I like the idea of initialing/signing the tape.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
This will be the 4th time I have returned a phone to Samsung after upgrade. I have never had a problem. When you drop it off a FedEx be sure to ask for a receipt so that you can track it. Note that when they do receive your return, it will take several days before they acknowledge that your trade in is valid (they send you an email). But, as I said, personally I have never had a problem with my trade ins.
This is my third time. So far, 1 for 2. I want to make sure it becomes 2 for 3. I don't want any doubt about getting the full trade value.

TheMiz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've read some are taking videos of the return process in case Samsung denies the return. There was something about the phone not being sent in the box if I recall correctly. They said they made a video of the entire process including dropping it off at FedEx.

Would you explain more about the problem and what was actually recorded?

Video would need down without any pauses.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest have someone else record the process. Including driving to fedex and handing the package to the store employee. As mentioned in the post above, Just shooting oneself placing the phone in the return package and then turning off the video isn't proof of anything,

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest have someone else record the process. Including driving to fedex and handing the package to the store employee. As mentioned in the post above, Just shooting oneself placing the phone in the return package and then turning off the video isn't proof of anything,
Doesn't seem untennable at all... if people are going to go to these lengths, I would suggest driving to the depot THEN boxing the device up there lol.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't seem untennable at all... if people are going to go to these lengths, I would suggest driving to the depot THEN boxing the device up there lol.
It would definitely be the easiest I would think, to just video the phone being boxed up in the shipping office and handed to one of the employees in one shot 😉

If you have the box prepped with some packing material it would be quick to film the phones condition, show it powered up, then stick it in the box and tape it up. I think that would also be a pretty ironclad way of protecting yourself from any problems, whether from Sammy or anyone else. Sometimes peace of mind is priceless 😜

I think I remember hearing that once people pushed Samsung to look at their videos when they got the dreaded cracked screen messages, Sammy suddenly changed their tune and said trade-in approved, we don't need your video 🤔

Things that make you go hmmm....

Reactions: mustang7757

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It would definitely be the easiest I would think, to just video the phone being boxed up in the shipping office and handed to one of the employees in one shot

If you have the box prepped with some packing material it would be quick to film the phones condition, show it powered up, then stick it in the box and tape it up. I think that would also be a pretty ironclad way of protecting yourself from any problems, whether from Sammy or anyone else. Sometimes peace of mind is priceless

I think I remember hearing that once people pushed Samsung to look at their videos when they got the dreaded cracked screen messages, Sammy suddenly changed their tune and said trade-in approved, we don't need your video

Things that make you go hmmm....
I have done a few trades before but theyy were for kinda trash devices... This is the first year I'll be trading an actual good device, and these posts do make me a little unerved...

Don't recall seeing any other Brits with these issues though, so hopefully our trade-in offices are a bit more honest... at the very least, as you say, they do seem quick to resolve these issues when you make a fuss. Not that you should have to.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
On a mildly off topic note, I had to get a warranty repair on a Playstation 2 years ago... they sent a courier with a replacement in a sealed hard box which I had to open in front of him, take the new console and place my faulty one inside, He then sealed it and both of us had to sign to say everything was above board.

Felt like retrieving some incredibly expensive jewellery from a safety deposit rather than just a swap out for a faulty games console, I was very impressed with the process. Actual peace of mind right there.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
On a mildly off topic note, I had to get a warranty repair on a Playstation 2 years ago... they sent a courier with a replacement in a sealed hard box which I had to open in front of him, take the new console and place my faulty one inside, He then sealed it and both of us had to sign to say everything was above board.

Felt like retrieving some incredibly expensive jewellery from a safety deposit rather than just a swap out for a faulty games console, I was very impressed with the process. Actual peace of mind right there.
I actually had a similar experience with a Sony surround sound system... I was also very impressed 😁 I wonder if they still treat their customers like that?

And I'm sure your trade-in will be fine, rampant theft and corruption seems to be a mostly American thing anymore lol.

And before anyone jumps me, yes I live in America, so I can complain about it 😉

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I sent my Flip 3 to VZW as a trade-in for my 5. I filmed myself booting it up to the setup menu, putting it in the envelope, sealing it, putting it in the box, sealing it, then dropping it off at UPS. I did take a receipt with the tracking number. As of Friday, the phone was confirmed delivered to the TX warehouse. Hopefully, I'll get an email some time this week confirming or denying the trade-in.

Reactions: 1raygin and J Dubbs

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I went to the FedEx store last evening and went thru, hopefully the whole process. Got the video of boot up showing the start screen. Then I placed it in the original Z3 box and wrapped it with red security tape. Then, used the shipping box and material the Z5 came in to box it up. I then videoed but the RMA slip in the box. Once boxed, sealed the top and bottom with the red security tape, put the shipping label on and video walking up to the counter and received a receipt.

My hope is that there will not be an dispute with Sammy, but I'm prepared if there is. We'll see in a couple of weeks I guess.