Tethering

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if it is possible to tether the Streak? I would be looking to use my cell phone (not the hot spot feature). There was some discussion since it's Android to Android in some other forums I came across and I have read that people have posted some success after adjusting some settings, but never any step by step directions on how to accomplish this. Any ideas?

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
To tether for free u need to be rooted. And install teather from the market

sent through the force using my Thunderbolt

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
What needs to be rooted? The phone or tablet? I got the HTC Thunderbolt and can tether to my laptop for free, but the phone is not rooted.

Bendroid55

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
You do not have to install anything or do anything to the tablet.

Verizon was letting you tether for free on the Thunderbolt for a limited time. I believe that promotion is over, you will need a tethering plan if you are not rooted. If you choose to root, you will need an app like "wireless tether" on the phone.

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
You do not have to install anything or do anything to the tablet.

Verizon was letting you tether for free on the Thunderbolt for a limited time. I believe that promotion is over, you will need a tethering plan if you are not rooted. If you choose to root, you will need an app like "wireless tether" on the phone.
I use PDAnet on my phone and connect a usb cable from my phone to my laptop which gives me free tethering. Verizon was giving me free mobile hotspot (which has now ended), but I'm talking about tethering not using my phone as a hotspot.

Are there any special instructions to use my phone and tablet in a similar manner?

afrats

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I would like to tether from my Incredible to the Streak, but where would I get the cable to go between the two? I doubt that there is even one available. I guess I could run from my phone to my laptop to my Streak, but that would defeat the purpose of having the Streak. Any ideas?

WookieFan

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I would like to tether from my Incredible to the Streak, but where would I get the cable to go between the two? I doubt that there is even one available. I guess I could run from my phone to my laptop to my Streak, but that would defeat the purpose of having the Streak. Any ideas?

I am also using a DInc to tether a wifi connection to my DS7. I have rooted my DInc (it is out of warranty). I installed Open Garden, which sets up a WEP-secured wifi broadcast. It's really the most simple way of paying one less data charge, and having internet on my tablet.

I have not read anywhere that you can use a cabled connection between Android devices - just ad-hoc or Bluetooth.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk