text message/email notification on lock screen question

stump24

May 4, 2015
Visit site
When I get a new text or email if I unlock my phone and touch the email or message app and read or delete it, it still shows the notification in the upper left. If I then lock my phone and unlock it again it still shows the notification on the lock screen. I have gone and cleared the cache and data from the message app and restarted. The only way it goes away is if I swipe it away on the lock screen or select it from the lock screen and view/delete after it opens. I hope this makes sense. Anyone else have the same issue?

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
So the notification isn't going away even after you view the message in the appropriate app? Are you using the native apps for text/email?

stump24

May 4, 2015
Visit site
to be clear the notification will go away if and only if I wake the phone up, touch the notification, swipe to unlock my phone and then by default it takes you to that notification. If I read it there it goes away. If I bypass the notification and just open my phone and read the email or text the notification reminder remains.

Last edited:

Needkeys

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Yup. I'm new to the S6 and to Android, and I have to say that the whole notification maze has been a nightmare for me. To your issue, the only way I can dismiss a notification from the notification tray at the top-left of the screen is if I swipe the notification away from the pulldown notification shade (and that is from the home screen, after the phone has been unlocked). If all I do is unlock the phone, and read the email (or text), the badge icon on the app disappears but the icon in the notification tray remains.

So there are 3 areas of notifications -- the notification tray at the top, the swipe notifications from the pulldown notification shade, and the badge icons on the apps themselves. You would think that by reading the email or text to which the notification applies, all would disappear...but that is not how things are working. Each email gets opened...then I still have to pulldown the notification shade and swipe away the notification to dismiss the icon up top. It's absurd.

My situation became infinitely more complicated as I came from the blackberry and wanted a functioning LED notifier. Downloaded Light Manager Pro, an app which addresses a bug in the LED light for Samsung devices running 5.1.1 (tried Lightflow but the existing bug causes it to have certain limitations that Light Manager Pro seems to avoid). Add to the mix things called "persistent icons" and it just gets absolutely hairy. I receive "sent email" notifications for every email I send...which in turn have to be dismissed by swiping away the notifiers.

I spend more time dismissing notifications in order to actually receive the few notifications I want...it's driving me nuts. I can't stand the caged-in feeling of Apple, but I don't see how anyone can argue with the fact that their notification system is incredibly simpler and more stable than Androids....at least with what I'm seeing.

Sorry for the rant...

stump24

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Yup. I'm new to the S6 and to Android, and I have to say that the whole notification maze has been a nightmare for me. To your issue, the only way I can dismiss a notification from the notification tray at the top-left of the screen is if I swipe the notification away from the pulldown notification shade (and that is from the home screen, after the phone has been unlocked). If all I do is unlock the phone, and read the email (or text), the badge icon on the app disappears but the icon in the notification tray remains.

So there are 3 areas of notifications -- the notification tray at the top, the swipe notifications from the pulldown notification shade, and the badge icons on the apps themselves. You would think that by reading the email or text to which the notification applies, all would disappear...but that is not how things are working. Each email gets opened...then I still have to pulldown the notification shade and swipe away the notification to dismiss the icon up top. It's absurd.

My situation became infinitely more complicated as I came from the blackberry and wanted a functioning LED notifier. Downloaded Light Manager Pro, an app which addresses a bug in the LED light for Samsung devices running 5.1.1 (tried Lightflow but the existing bug causes it to have certain limitations that Light Manager Pro seems to avoid). Add to the mix things called "persistent icons" and it just gets absolutely hairy. I receive "sent email" notifications for every email I send...which in turn have to be dismissed by swiping away the notifiers.

I spend more time dismissing notifications in order to actually receive the few notifications I want...it's driving me nuts. I can't stand the caged-in feeling of Apple, but I don't see how anyone can argue with the fact that their notification system is incredibly simpler and more stable than Androids....at least with what I'm seeing.

Sorry for the rant...

eveything you stated is exactly what I was talking about. i didn't include the notification on the sent email since I figured it was a setting that I should look into changing( but I can't find it). I will tell you that I just came from an S4 and it did not have any of these. I still love the phone but I hate how many different ways I have to dismiss a notification.

Needkeys

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm holding out hope that Marshmallow will bring the notifications issue into a sane and logical place. If it doesn't, I'm off to the other platform. I love the ability to customize, just not at the expense of basic efficiency.

stump24

May 4, 2015
Visit site
one thing I noticed. I checked friends S6. we are using the same messaging app and have same software versions. His does not do what mine does. frustrating!

Legendary Crusader

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I have the S6 coming from the iPhone and I have not had any of those problems but now I'm just waiting for it to screw up with notifications.

Posted via the Android Central App

okbow68

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
this just started happening to mine the other day I cannot for the life of me figure out what happened. used to when i read a text no matter which way i navigated to it when i opened it all three notifications would go away. Not now all of a sudden the text message badge up in the bar will not go away unless i pull down and open it that way, even if i have unlocked the phone and read the text by opening the app with its icon. WTH is going on here? This is driving me crazy people.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myicc