The $3.86 Pixel 5a Case

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Last week, while waiting for my new Pixel 5a to arrive I went on Amazon and looked for cases. I prefer clear cases and I've bought Spigen and Ringke "crystal clear" cases for my Pixel 2XL. Last week, there weren't many available for the Pixel 5a. Just a bunch of brand names I'd never heard of.

I settled on one made by Hoomil. (Who?) The price was $3.86. The claim was it was discounted 74% off regular price. The features looked decent, certainly in line with Spigen and Ringke. I figured for $3.86 if I didn't like it I could simply throw it away.

I've received it and I won't be throwing it away. It's surprising...good. Not just good for the price, but it seems to be every bit as good as the Spiegen or Ringke. Of course there is the price, $3.86, which was ridiculously good, and it's an Amazon Prime product meaning free 2 day shipping. Fit is very good. All the cutouts and holes are in the proper place and accurately centered. Weighing in at 30 grams it is neither ultra thin nor bulky.

It came with a crazy amount of packaging. There was a styrofoam slab that fit inside snugly the case. The case/styrofoam slab was inside a thin plastic sheath. The case/slab/sheath was nestled inside a plastic tray. The case/slab/tray/sheath were inside a plastic bag. This entire assembly was inside a cardboard box. Geez, waste some resource why don't you?

I just checked Amazon now and it is priced at $13.98, which I guess is the regular price. I see there are several more brands now available, including Spigen ($13.99). Some of the other no-names come with screen protectors.

All in all, a nice case. I'd look for it to go on sale again, but even at $13.98 it's comparable to a Spigen.

Hoomil-5a-Case-Box.jpg

Hoomil-5a-Case.jpg

Hoomil-5a-Case-Pkg.jpg

Last edited:

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Always good to get good deals on cases, especially if they live up to their billing!

Back when I got my Note 9, there was Caseology, with a variety of dirt cheap cases. I bought 4, plus 2 screen protectors, for a whopping $6, delivered. Out of the 4, I hated one, loved two, one of which the outer hard shell broke, and one was meh. One of those cases still rides on it today, 3+ years later.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Always good to get good deals on cases, especially if they live up to their billing!

Back when I got my Note 9, there was Caseology, with a variety of dirt cheap cases. I bought 4, plus 2 screen protectors, for a whopping $6, delivered. Out of the 4, I hated one, loved two, one of which the outer hard shell broke, and one was meh. One of those cases still rides on it today, 3+ years later.
That was a great bargain.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This looks like a beautiful case! I too love clear cases and got one very similar to this for my Pixel 5 (not the same brand though). Unfortunately, the quality wasn't as good and scratches and such began to appear, as well as the film getting a weird coating or texture on it.

Please let me know how this case holds up - I may get it for my Pixel 5! :)

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It's been almost a year with the Hoomil Pixel 5a crystal clear case. Here it is next to a new Bokoo Pixel 6a crystal clear case. I took this picture so the relative yellowing of the Hoomil case could be gauged.

One of the claims Hoomil made was that it never yellows. While it has yellowed along the edges I found it interesting that it only yellowed on the edges where my hand would grip it. The entire back of the case is still clear, as well as the top edge and the bottom edge (mostly clear.) Pretty good job Hoomil. So I'd say I got my $3.86 worth out of this case!

Pixel-Case-Comparo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201