The Fairphone 5 isn't headed to the US, and I really wish it was

cuvtixo2

Sep 6, 2023
Visit site
the Verge comments are hilarious. One guy who claims because Fairphone isn't perfectly evironmental pure, and still uses chips circuitboards, that they're "doing more harm to this planet than anything else in our history". Others whining about headphone jacks as if no usb adapater existed. It's fair to say there's resistance to new brands even in the best of circumstances. OTOH I love my Framework, I upgraded the motherboards already, and plan on buying another. I was not nearly so happy with my second-hand Librem laptop; there were design flaws and... well, let's just say these things don't always go right.

Jcmg62

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
This really is the only phone I'm getting g when my current device cranks out on me. I tend to aim for at least four years out of my phones, but even then I feel ripped off at how often I need to replace them.

My ultimate goal / benchmark is that if a phone is going to cost the same as a laptop, then it should last as long as a laptop, which for me is about ten years.

Honestly, I think governments should force apple and Google to support hardware for a minimum of ten years. I'm sick of android oem's pushing out phones with two year OS lifespans. It's criminal.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
This really is the only phone I'm getting g when my current device cranks out on me. I tend to aim for at least four years out of my phones, but even then I feel ripped off at how often I need to replace them.

My ultimate goal / benchmark is that if a phone is going to cost the same as a laptop, then it should last as long as a laptop, which for me is about ten years.

Honestly, I think governments should force apple and Google to support hardware for a minimum of ten years. I'm sick of android oem's pushing out phones with two year OS lifespans. It's criminal.
How would governments forcing Google an Apple to support hardware for 10 years affect Android oems? I'm not sure Google or Apple have ever put out a phone that has only had 2 years of support.

cramleir

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
How would governments forcing Google an Apple to support hardware for 10 years affect Android oems? I'm not sure Google or Apple have ever put out a phone that has only had 2 years of support.
...up until like 4 years ago I think 99% of android phone were supported for just 2 years

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
...up until like 4 years ago I think 99% of android phone were supported for just 2 years
That's true, often less. But it doesn't answer my question or have any relevance to my point.

Or do you think that every phone running Android as manufactured by Google?

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

The average lifespan of a laptop is around 3-5 years. Since parts can not be upgraded as with desktop PCs, most laptops older than that won't be capable of running current software.

Sanjay Aiyagari

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It would be great to know what the technical content of "your conversation with the executive" was. Was it the use of mmWave in the US? If so there is still T-Mobile (which is why Fairphone 4 will only work with T-Mobile). The carrier stores will never care as their business model is an endless debt cycle for consumers. Right now I fight that with eBay phones, but when Fairphone 5 comes to Murena via online purchase I will be very happy to get one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky