The Moto Droid 3 - what features do you want on it?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, how is Motorola able to upgrade the Xoom to LTE sometime in the future? Is there already an empty space in the Xoom to place the radio, whereas all the space on the Droid 3 is filled up?

Yes, the SIM card is a dumy piece of plastic and there is a place for the LTE hardware to be added.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Realistically when do you think this phone will come out?

I am guessing September or October. Yes the original D2 came out last summer BUT it was a rushed device (and it showed) and quietly replaced with the global one a couple months later that was the phone they should have released in the first place.

TC_Mits

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Pie in the sky

I am guessing September or October...
That's too late for me to wait for a phone that's almost perfect. I need 4G; it will probably be in my area this Qtr(2) -- before the D3 finally is released.

There is a new thread here on AC:"Lets be serious....4g really isnt that great"
The guy is getting royally creamed!! Six pages+ of replies. Of course, 4G is better. That's what a new generation means. There may be a vzw shill or two out there getting paid to try to point up how you can still get along OK without it...

I love the D3 concept; but in practical terms it is a major compromise at best without LTE. There just aren't two ways to see that. Two ways to talk about it, maybe, but...
Let me quote from the thread:

(1) Droid800:
Surely you must be joking. "3G just seems like an all around better technology" ?

By its very definition 4G IS a better technology.

And no, it isn't a 'little' faster. Its leaps and bounds faster. So fast, in fact, that the hardware and software can't keep up with it, hence why you might notice it only being a 'little' faster. The browser that HTC uses on the Thunderbolt can't render the pages FAST enough to keep up with how quickly the connection is pulling the data. The Facebook app also can't keep up.

So your assertion that "4G isn't that great" is nonsense. Its your opinion and you're entitled to it, but its nonsense nonetheless.

(2) Comineeyeaha (sp?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF DINC View Post
Thats like saying megan fox is not that hot........really????? Get out of lalalla land seriously......why go back to a Audi, when you could be driving a Lambo.....4G!!!
Yeah, Megan Fox isn't that hot.

*Theoretical scenario*
Megan Fox: Would you like me to take off my clothes?
Me: Meh.

Anyone arguing that 3G is something to be happy about on the D3 has an ulterior motive -- or sour grapes. Rumpelstiltskin would have a hard time spinning that one. It may be necessary given market pressures and the current state of the technology, but if so, it's an unfortunate necessity.

My much-loved old V9800 finally cashed in. I tried a TB, but it wasn't for me. Now, I'm back off contract and on an ancient Palm Treo 650. But vzw has no realistic choices for me. I need -- OK I just want -- a keyboard and it would be the height of folly (IM<HO) to commit to two years of 3G just as LTE is becoming the standard.

I could go to Sprint and get an Epic 4G. Samsung somehow managed to mate 4G to a keyboard. Or I can just wait for vzw to catch up with the industry. I'll probably get an old D2, drop in a rom, gussy it up with some gingerbread, focus out the blur, pop in FF4 and sit tight for vzw to offer a real qwerty keyboard and 4G LTE, too. Cake and a satisfied sweet tooth.

The D3 would just be a more costly stopgap for me over my D2 approach -- and then I'd have no NE2 to use next summer when the real thing likely will -- at long last -- come along. (Another new thread, that I didn't look at, suggests that vzw may be changing its early renewal policy.) The D3 -- without LTE -- just doesn't seem like much of an answer to anything -- for me.

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I never said it shouldn't get lte merely that it won't and the reasons why (thickness and average consume demand for thin light phones). Personally I would buy an lte version in a heartbeat even if I had to wait like I did for the droid 2 global, or pay more, but I am not average. Most people hate the thickness of the thunderbolt extended life battery but while it irritated me at first that lasted all at half a day because functin to me outweighs cosmetics. The average consumer however thinks the phone is a bit heavy as it ships but I actually like the the heft as it feels more solid to me than say the fascinate.

TC_Mits

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
same page

I never said it shouldn't get lte merely that it won't and the reasons why...

I feel you. My beef is not even really w/vzw, much less you.

All I'm saying is that, with no 4G, the D3 isn't "the answer" so it makes no sense to wait for it.
And that it's too bad no answer can yet be seen on the verizon.

C'est la vie.

~

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What has BMX sd about the D3's window for arrival? Somehow I can't see a Sep/Oct launch when summer is when you need newer phones. Plus the D2G is on sale "while supplies last" so clearly they are dumping inventory for the D3. I would like the D3, may break my line out from the rest of my lines and go with the SGS2 if things stall on Verizon.,

TC_Mits

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
ME TOO!

If this has a large screen, dual core and 4G, I'll get it for sure.

But. It won't have 4G. Bummer! :mad:

The scuttlebutt on HoFo is for an early summer release, maybe by July 4th. I remain skeptical. Everything is getting pushed back. Look at the Samsung Charge. :-\

I think I've found a rooted DX very reasonable. I'll get that and learn all the Android setup mods so I can have it just the way I like it without having to worry about bricking an expensive new phone. Then when there finally is a 'D4G' -- maybe next summer -- I'll be ready to pounce on it with my NE2 still intact. :D

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I think if 4G was cheaper than 3G I'd be interested, but aside from current promotions, isn't 4G going to cost extra per month? I'm honestly not interested in paying more, even for faster data.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If you lock in now before the geniuses at Verizon jack up or cap the monthly bandwidth you can get unlimited 4G LTE for the same price as unlimited 3G $29.99 on a smartphone. Honestly I have a 4G modem and IF I needed 4G for something I would just use that as a WiFi HotSpot and use the 3G the rest of the time.

Looking to get a D2 or D2G off eBay and ride it out for a while, maybe get the D3 when it launches and keep my eBay buy as a spare (for once).

TC_Mits

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Trade-offs

...Looking to get a D2 or D2G off eBay and ride it out for a while, maybe get the D3 when it launches and keep my eBay buy as a spare (for once).

I just posted this elsewhere, but, since, like most folks, I don't have a 4G hotspot to fall back on, it probly can apply here as well:

It seems I?m in the same boat, holding out for a KB ? and LTE. I might also toss that off as NBD, except that I had the Thunderbolt for two weeks, and I miss the instant web pages, the done already downloads, and the uninterrupted streamed videos.

Since I?m also doing without LTE, for the moment, why would I not want the D3? It?s obviously the best 3G phone for my needs right now. Faster, better screen, better KB, sweet gingerbread, too ? much better than the D2. But I, too, am gonna get a cheap D2 (or something) and tread water. Only I hope to hold out until the ?D4G? shows up, maybe a year from now. Why?

I?m doing that because I don?t want to be faced with another trade-off at the end of that year: pay full retail for the ?D4G? or do without LTE 4G for another year ?til my NE2 comes up again. I want 4G and a true qwerty KB -- ASAP! It seems to me short-sighted to commit two years to a stopgap phone when my dream phone is already visible in the distance. Once you've used it for a while, 4G LTE becomes like a necessity. A lot of folks stayed with dial-up modems for years, because they'd never seen what Ethernet could do.

To use my NE2 for a D3 now, to me, would be like blowing my savings on a super golf-cart because of the specs, when I already have a serviceable golf-cart, and, if I wait a year, I'll be able to afford a great new sports coupe -- my dream car!

Reactions: mayflower
Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
But. It won't have 4G. Bummer! :mad:

The scuttlebutt on HoFo is for an early summer release, maybe by July 4th. I remain skeptical. Everything is getting pushed back. Look at the Samsung Charge. :-\

I think I've found a rooted DX very reasonable. I'll get that and learn all the Android setup mods so I can have it just the way I like it without having to worry about bricking an expensive new phone. Then when there finally is a 'D4G' -- maybe next summer -- I'll be ready to pounce on it with my NE2 still intact. :D

4g phones got pushed back because of 4g problems the inc2 didnt get a delay so if this is indeed only 3g then I don't think there will be a delay.

shamefulzero

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
So is this phone officially no longer stock? And coming with blur? I really want a stock phone. I walked into a Sprint store the other day and they had a great selection of stock phones. Vzw is lacking! They need vanilla experience phones.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Some of the AOSP is pretty bad in my opinion and only tolerable with custom roms. Blur adds email push, better input field cut & paste controls, and the 2.3 stuff is visually appealing to me. I also like the new launcher, task switcher, and task manager. Oh, plus the battery manager. The rest of Blur can die in a fire.

TC_Mits

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Roger that.

4g phones got pushed back because of 4g problems the inc2 didnt get a delay so if this is indeed only 3g then I don't think there will be a delay.

Yes, I have made that same point in other posts when raising the question -- and I certainly hope that will prove to be the case. If the X2 comes out this month I'll feel much better about it. But holding the D3 out of the current vzw catalog doesn't inspire confidence.

On my part, tho', I'm with nerdydesi: no 4G = no D3 4me.
I'm picking up a DX -- cheap! -- this w/e to fill in and to learn root Android with. Since none of the current vzw offerings move me, I see no sense in learning on -- and in risking bricking -- an expensive new phone. I got over my fear of the water by taking a SCUBA course many years ago; maybe the X will teach me to like virtual KBs... NOT!

On both counts, only time will tell...

Btw, we are all thinking that the repeated delays of new 4G LTE phones, and the paucity of new LTE offerings, are both due to problems in implementing the new LTE technology. This HoFo thread offers another possible perspective on that question:
Verizon is violating the 700 Mhz open platform restrictions already

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It wont have 4g guys for thecsamereason the DX2 didn't. It would majorly increase the thickness of the phone to such a degree that it would no longer look like its predecessor at all ....let it go ...

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
It wont have 4g guys for thecsamereason the DX2 didn't. It would majorly increase the thickness of the phone to such a degree that it would no longer look like its predecessor at all ....let it go ...

I suppose the lack of 4G pains some more than others. My previous phone before my Thunderbolt was an Epic 4G, my first smartphone ever. I absolutely loved it but moved to VZW because I work there currently. I suppose because the Epic was my first phone, I got used to and attached to a physical, slide-out keyboard and I do miss it on my Thunderbolt.

But I'm also used to the 4G of my TB and would hate to lose it, but the Droid 3 has all the specs I want, and the lack of 4G keeps it from being my perfect phone right now!

VZWRocks, since you mention thickness, is Moto's Bionic slated to be significantly thicker than their current DX2? Do you think Motorola would launch a 4G version of the D3 by year's end? And since the Epic is a slider with 4G (another 4G slider example is T-Mobile's G2), does Wimax and HSPA require less bulky and power-consuming hardware than LTE?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edneil1967