The Power of power-cycyling.....

tahx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Seems to clear whatever cache that I can't do manually, and has restored my phone to original performance.

I leave my phone on 24/7, and haven't turned off my current LG Leon LTE since I got it several months ago. After a month or two, it started to get slow in general UI navigation. Functions would run fine, but it would take relatively forever to go from page to page within an app even. I used to leave my desktop on for days at a time, and at least with XP it would get slow after a day or so. Shutting it off/re-starting it fixed this. I finally thought to do this with my phone, and it similarly fixed it. This may be particular to my LG Leon LTE, but it might work for you if in the same or similar circumstances.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
With regard to powering off devices from time to time, some say yea, others nay. Apple, for example, do recommend it. I do it from time to time, not because I know it to be good practice, but because I believe that it may be, and it costs nothing to do.

Posted via the Android Central App

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been turning mine off every night when I put it on the charger since my Treo days.

Back then, it wasn't as easy to set your phone to DND, so shutting it off was the fastest way.

I still do it. No real good reason other than I am truly free of the electronic leash when it's powered down.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
The performance slow down that can be fixed with a restart might be a leak memory in RAM... an app might not close fully or stuck in the ram. I usually do clean my RAM every night using the built-in samsung Smart Manager.
I think it helps performance when you clean RAM but not cleaning it too often.. once a day is good enough.

Posted with ❤Love❤

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What Tech-Newb says.... software isn't perfect and stuff can leak. All it takes is one app that doesn't properly handle clearing memory after use, and bits of memory go bye-bye. This can add up over time and you end up with blocks of junk memory that kind of slog down the system, slowing things down and reducing the amount of memory available.

I don't think I go past a week before resetting... but I am usually flashing an updated kernel, or ROM... or some other thing. I probably should just leave well enough alone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Whenever any of my devices start showing signs of a slowdown, I usually to a restart. To echo belodion, it's simple, and not intrusive at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Authority_Institute