Thinking about switching to Google Fi

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I currently have 4 lines with T-Mobile and am happy with the service and plan I have (have an older Essentials plan with 50GB premium data). I'm paying $145/month with T-Mobile but can save a few bucks with Fi's Simply Unlimited plan. I look to save $50/month if I switch ... Not a huge savings but, as they say, every penny counts. Comparing Fi to my current T-Mo plan it looks like we'd be facing data slow down after 35GB instead of 50GB, which given our usage history shouldn't be an issue:
Screenshot_20220427-072435.jpg

I have a few questions for those that have made the switch to Fi:

1) How does coverage compare? I am imagining it'd be very comparable seeing Fi uses T-Mobile ... Anyone make the switch and have issues?

2) How are transfers from Wi-Fi to data? Most specifically, how are phone calls? Any dropped calls switching between WiFi Calling and cell?

3) If you do go over your data limit, what is the slow down speed? Fi site just says "Data is slower after 35 GB/person" but I cannot find what that slower speed is. (Again, don't foresee this being an issue for us, just curious)

4) How is the initial transfer from carrier to Fi? Is it seamless and easy? I've never used esim before ...

5) (Not specifically a Fi question)
How is switching between phones with esim? I'm a phone junkie and like to switch between the latest and greatest (currently the Pixel 6 Pro and Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra). Is this as simple as removing a physical SIM card?

That's all the questions I can think of for now ... Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input!

Last edited:

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Can you switch phones with a esim? I'd like to know as I haven't used a esim on a phone yet. Can you just deactivate one and activate on the other? Curious

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Can you switch phones with a esim? I'd like to know as I haven't used a esim on a phone yet. Can you just deactivate one and activate on the other? Curious
I have Google Fi and often switch between two phones, a pixel 4a and a pixel 6 Pro. It's very easy to do. All that needs to be done is activate on one phone and it is automatically deactivated on the other phone.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I see. I suppose both has to be esim in order to do that. For instance 1 can't be a pixel and the other be a zfold3 can it?

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I see. I suppose both has to be esim in order to do that. For instance 1 can't be a pixel and the other be a zfold3 can it?
Nope. My Pixel 6 Pro has a Fi sim card and the Pixel 4a has a Fi esim. You'll have to search and find out if the Fold can use an esim. Even if it can't I believe Google will send a sim card when you sign up.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Coverage - I didn't have T-Mobile before I was on Fi, but it seems to be pretty good. I've had very few situations where I wanted or needed coverage and didn't have it. Where it HAS excelled for me? International travel. I've only done Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean but it has worked everywhere I've tried it.

Call transfers WiFi to cellular - It's not entirely seamless, but it doesn't hang up on the person. There's a brief audio interruption as the phone loses the WiFi signal then switches to cellular to continue the call.

Data speeds - I can't speak to going over the data limit as I'm on the flexible plan and rarely even go over 1 GB of usage. However - be aware that Fi is an MVNO so if you're in a situation where the tower is crowded you WILL be the first to experience throttling.

I transferred 5+ years ago, but it was seamless. Some have experienced issues with the porting process but mine went as it should have.

PM me if you want a referral code, saves both of us $20 after your second billing cycle. I will see a real name though...

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Coverage - I didn't have T-Mobile before I was on Fi, but it seems to be pretty good. I've had very few situations where I wanted or needed coverage and didn't have it. Where it HAS excelled for me? International travel. I've only done Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean but it has worked everywhere I've tried it.

Call transfers WiFi to cellular - It's not entirely seamless, but it doesn't hang up on the person. There's a brief audio interruption as the phone loses the WiFi signal then switches to cellular to continue the call.

Data speeds - I can't speak to going over the data limit as I'm on the flexible plan and rarely even go over 1 GB of usage. However - be aware that Fi is an MVNO so if you're in a situation where the tower is crowded you WILL be the first to experience throttling.

I transferred 5+ years ago, but it was seamless. Some have experienced issues with the porting process but mine went as it should have.

PM me if you want a referral code, saves both of us $20 after your second billing cycle. I will see a real name though...

Thanks so much for your time!

All that sounds good ... I don't travel internationally but it's good to know if I do I shouldn't have problems.

Still kicking around the idea of making switch... Just not sure still. If I do I'll definitely PM you for the referral code.

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for your time!

All that sounds good ... I don't travel internationally but it's good to know if I do I shouldn't have problems.

Still kicking around the idea of making switch... Just not sure still. If I do I'll definitely PM you for the referral code.

Curious if you ever signed up for Fi? I'm about to try it out for my son.

Thanks,

Rick

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter