Thinking of Switching from Note 3 to Nexus 5

eliott1306

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for about a week. I hit 4 hours screen on yesterday (mostly because it was a slow day at work) with nothing turned off. I did toss it on the wireless charger for about half an hour or so when I knew I didn't need the phone. People act like this phone has terrible battery life. Is it Note 3? Nope. But it's still pretty good. I haven't had much issue with it so far, and I'm coming from a Moto X. I think it's just as good as my S4 I had before the X. I honestly don't see what people are complaining about.

I feel like some people need to put the phone down and interact with the humans around them...

My nexus is also a camera, a music player, I use it with bluetooth in my car and a phone of course.

I just want to do these things all day long without being stressed by the battery life.

My phones don't have this issue, so I'm a little bit disappointed about the nexus 5.

It's the only thing I hate with this phone.

Don't worry for me, I have a lot of friends in real life and I also talk with them thanks to my phone.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
My nexus is also a camera, a music player, I use it with bluetooth in my car and a phone of course.

I just want to do these things all day long without being stressed by the battery life.

My phones don't have this issue, so I'm a little bit disappointed about the nexus 5.

It's the only thing I hate with this phone.

Don't worry for me, I have a lot of friends in real life and I also talk with them thanks to my phone.

It is also all of that for me, too. If I'm worried about battery life, I toss it on the charger while I'm at work and when I get home from the office. Doesn't take but half an hour and you got 15% or more topped off. You could also plug it in the car. I just don't see how this is such a GIGANTIC issue for people. It gets more than its share of use from me and I'm not panicking about the battery.

eliott1306

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
It is also all of that for me, too. If I'm worried about battery life, I toss it on the charger while I'm at work and when I get home from the office. Doesn't take but half an hour and you got 15% or more topped off. You could also plug it in the car. I just don't see how this is such a GIGANTIC issue for people. It gets more than its share of use from me and I'm not panicking about the battery.

It's an issue because when I live my life during the day, I don't want to have to find a electric plug.
The smartphones I had before didn't need this.
One day without plug-in my phone is the minimum.
I love the nexus 5, I had a nexus S and I don't need to plug it during the day.

Why people can't understand this ?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
It's an issue because when I live my life during the day, I don't want to have to find a electric plug.
The smartphones I had before didn't need this.
One day without plug-in my phone is the minimum.
I love the nexus 5, I had a nexus S and I don't need to plug it during the day.

Why people can't understand this ?

I live my life, too. I don't see why it's so hard to toss it on the wireless charger when I get home from work, change out of the suit, and get some comfortable clothes on. It tops it off and I'm not worrying about it anymore. I don't see this phone being any worse than my S4. It isn't the best with battery life, but it's definitely not the worst. I don't see why this is such a huge issue.

eliott1306

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I live my life, too. I don't see why it's so hard to toss it on the wireless charger when I get home from work, change out of the suit, and get some comfortable clothes on. It tops it off and I'm not worrying about it anymore. I don't see this phone being any worse than my S4. It isn't the best with battery life, but it's definitely not the worst. I don't see why this is such a huge issue.

I don't have a wireless charger, I don't like the fact that I must charge my phone several times a day. It's my opinion and if you like charging several times a day, it's fine but the battery life without wireless charger is not good.

In a day, it could be difficult to plug a phone.

This nexus has a poor battery life for what I do with it.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The battery issues are limited to a small number of users. I have seen battery drain threads for every phone here, from the Note to the G2 and everything else. If you want to leave every single social media app syncing every two minutes, that's your thing, but don't make claims the battery sucks then, when it doesn't for the vast majority of users. :)

Then you'll say, it didn't drain when I had this other phone xyz, well you didn't have the new OS, and who knows what else changed with the social, and other, apps you use since then.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

eliott1306

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a social app sync every two minutes.
If everybody think that it's normal to plug a phone several times a day or not use it to have a great battery life, well !

But it's not my point of view...

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a social app sync every two minutes.
If everybody think that it's normal to plug a phone several times a day or not use it to have a great battery life, well !

But it's not my point of view...

I agree. Alot of people bait off issues they know that are true facts. PEOPLE know that the nexus 5 has battery issues but try to cover it up its a known fact and talked about alot and as i had 2 units of the n5 and did factory settings without installing anything turned down brightness all that jazz i was still getting insane drains between a few mins and barely touching the phone and im not about to buy a 3rd n5 just for giggles to fall for the bait again and run into the same issues.

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Alot of people bait off issues they know that are true facts. PEOPLE know that the nexus 5 has battery issues but try to cover it up its a known fact and talked about alot and as i had 2 units of the n5 and did factory settings without installing anything turned down brightness all that jazz i was still getting insane drains between a few mins and barely touching the phone and im not about to buy a 3rd n5 just for giggles to fall for the bait again and run into the same issues.

No one wants you to!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
U wanna know something i bet people thats getting 4h+ most likely their sync is off or turning down alot of stuff to accomplish that battery life which is something i dont wanna do with a phone. So when people say " oh the nexus has great battery life" More then likely so if you got everything dang near turned off on your phone which yes i know works but eh i didnt buy a phone to turn the brightness down to 20% and to desync stuff etc
I never turn anything off. Everything is syncing, all the time. 4G is on all the time (or at least I don't turn it off). Brightness is on full unless it's night time. 4 hours+ of on-screen time is normal for me.

I do not do heavy gaming, but I do web browse and check mail and IM a lot. And I use apps like Taptu for news reading.

I agree. Alot of people bait off issues they know that are true facts. PEOPLE know that the nexus 5 has battery issues
Yeah, lets just ignore the evidence to the contrary. Your assumptions are surely more accurate than our actual experiences.

Stephan Hall

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Good facts. I've been pleased with the battery life on my N5. I use mine very often through the day ...surfing ...etc. Never had an issue not making it through a normal day and still have approx 30%. I don't understand why many people complain about battery life on this device. As the facts bear ....... better than most! Makes me wonder if it's not trolls ........ can battery life be better ...sure ........ but it's about what other phones get. The G2 and a few others with standing!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sounds great. ..does it charges as fast as an iphone?

I use two chargers... the one that came with the N5 and the higher current charger that came with my Nexus 7... with both, my phone charges faster than any other phone I've owned (it's really fast). I do believe that the phone does take advantage of Qualcomm's enhanced charging crap, so it zips along as long as you have a good enough charger.

But the way you talk it sounds like you might charge it off your computer.... Unless you load a custom module to allow for fast charging (which may or may not be safe for the computer's hardware), it'll charge HORRIBLY slow. The current is limited over that connection, so it takes a lot longer to fill up that bucket.

As for the iPhone, keep in mind that the battery is 2/3rds the size....

Sandy G

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Don't do it! The Nexus 5 is the only Android phone I've had that I hate so much it makes me want to get an iPhone. I'm one if those people that has a Mac and loves Android.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Don't do it! The Nexus 5 is the only Android phone I've had that I hate so much it makes me want to get an iPhone. I'm one if those people that has a Mac and loves Android.

Any reason why or just going to hang that out there?

I switched from an i5 to my Nexus, and the only things I miss is how much easier the iPhone was to use 1 handed, and the ability to link 2 Bluetooth devices at a time(niche use case scenario there).

Battery life is about the same, signal is a bit better, and its just as stable.

My only I remaining issue is I still haven't fully fixed the imessage switchover. But, that's an Apple screw up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mafarth

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I realise this thread is 6 months old and you've doubtless made your decision, but just in case anyone else has the same question. From the fact that you're thinking of making this switch, I guess S-Pen and multi-window aren't important to you? If so, why not just put Cyanogenmod onto the Note 3? That's what I've done and I now have a very fast close-to-stock-Android phone with 3GB RAM, Super AMOLED display, removable battery and micro-SD slot. I get CM updates every night - the nightlies are said to be 'bleeding edge', but I take them every night and haven't yet had a problem. I need to re-initialise Xposed after each CM update but that's no hardship.

Just a thought.

Best,

Mark

acculver

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I made the move from the Note 3 to the Nexus 5 on Sprint. Nexus 5 has LTE issues with Sprint.. and the battery life..... well if no one wants to us the word "sucks".... then I would say it..... "blows". Other than the battery life and the fact I can't tell when I receive a voicemail (no voicemail app on Sprint).... it's okay.
I have been a Sprint Customer for years like 13 years and ever since Google came out with Google voice I have use them for my voice mail 100% of the time I did not integrate Google Voice into my Sprint number. Google Voice has a widget that you can click on to get your voice, you can have it Email to you and / or Txt it to you. Plus you can customize the voice mail greeting message to each contact or group in your list. :)

Sahana Nayak

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 since 7 months and i am selling my phone. Gave me a lot of problems. Call quality is bad. I am not clearly audible to people on the other end. Everybody complains. Battery not so good, basically not worth the money you pay. My sincere advice is do not buy Nexus 5.:'(

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 since 7 months and i am selling my phone. Gave me a lot of problems. Call quality is bad. I am not clearly audible to people on the other end. Everybody complains. Battery not so good, basically not worth the money you pay. My sincere advice is do not buy Nexus 5.:'(

whaa, you hava 32gb model in black?

lemme scrape it off you, **i'll know how to work with it**

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbloom