Thunderbolt web browsing slow?

tbns

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that when I initially go to a web page, it pauses a bit before the page starts loading. Once a page starts loading, it's pretty blazing quick. However, I put my wife's iPhone 4 side by side with my Thunderbolt, and went to several webpages at the same time (as best as I could coordinate my fingers), and every time the iphone loaded the page quicker, and allowed page scrolling quicker.

What's the deal with that? I have 4G LTE connectivity where I live, so speed shouldn't be an issue. Thunderbolt is completely on par with the iPhone 4 as far as specs go, so there really shouldn't be such a difference.

Am I the only one who has noticed this? Software issue with my phone? I'm running BAMF remix 1.7; though I did notice the web browsing was slow even stock.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've not noticed this at all. Seems very fast to me. As long as you have a good 4g signal it's fantastic. If your iPhone is doing just as well, I would suggest hitting more complex websites.

Actually, web browsing has never been a good performance indicator. Too many variables.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

tbns

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Im running sky fire now to see if it's any quicker. I just feel this phone with 4g LTE should absolutely fly compared to others. It definitely shouldn't feel slower as far as web browsing is concerned.

tbns

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Tried it again with sky fire, and the iphone 4 loads much faster for all sites I visit (digg, autoblog, android central, CNN)! Not trying to be a complainer, i just want to figure out why this is the case. I keep feeling good about having a faster connected phone, but it doesn't seem to be reflected in the browsing experience. Can somebody else do a comparison between this and the iphone4 and tell me if it's just my phone?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I visit (digg, autoblog, android central, CNN)
Any time you attempt to compare web page loading performance of a device, you should use a web page on each device that has never been pulled up on that device before. This avoids the potentially unfair caching or history handling advantage.

-Frank

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Any time you attempt to compare web page loading performance of a device, you should use a web page on each device that has never been pulled up on that device before. This avoids the potentially unfair caching or history handling advantage.

-Frank

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

tbns

May 28, 2011
Visit site

-Frank

That makes sense. Unfortunately that would make this difference even more in my wife's phones (iphones) favor since my browser most likely had the pages cached.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense. Unfortunately that would make this difference even more in my wife's phones (iphones) favor since my browser most likely had the pages cached.
Okay, I just checked each of these websites you mentioned (digg, autoblog, android central, CNN). Each has flash. the iPhone does not support flash. The TBolt does. So, the TBolt has more to download and to process. As is the case with almost 100 percent of the websites nowadays.

-Frank

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Um had no one mentioned flash aside from frank? IPhone won't use time loading flash.

Try a browser that doesn't load flash or flash is optional. More of a apples to apples comparison.

tbns

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I didn't think about the flash issue. I'm going to see if using a non-flash browser speeds it up. Might also try Dolphin HD. I guess being able to view all the flash based movie and game sites comes at a slight cost ;).

lavrishevo

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I didn't think about the flash issue. I'm going to see if using a non-flash browser speeds it up. Might also try Dolphin HD. I guess being able to view all the flash based movie and game sites comes at a slight cost ;).

I can attest to Safari being a fantastic browser in relation to speed, rendering, and so on. I have not found a browser as refined on Android yet but I just switched a week ago. Right now I am using Dolphin HD and I am liking it the best.

Rendering flash does take a lot of time for a phone and other tablet devices. The size of flash content is much the largest on a webpage. This, in my opinion, is the biggest factor for the speed difference.

Last edited:

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

Since I use my TBolt for web access more than anything else speed is important to me. I have tried every browser available and am convinced that Dolphin Mini is the way to go. I think it is a touch faster than HD. Opera may be a little faster than Dolphin but I am not crazy about the overall UI. Use a browser that can turn off flash or find a site that doesn't use it and TB stock, Dolphin or Opera will leave the iPhone in the dust.

HiPower

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I played with dolphin hd for an hour. The UI seems alot nicer to me, but it seemed slower. Did anyone else get the same impression?