Tips for getting the most from your SGT 2 7"

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The following is a response from Michael S to a string of negative feedback comments on the SGT 2 7, recently published by an individual on Amazon.

Michael is obviously a very savy guy, as his comments provide numerous tweaks that every SGT 2 owner (and most ICS users) should be vividly aware of. This info will truly help you get the most out of your SGT 2 7".

Edited by the author on May 2, 2012 6:55:32 PM PDT
Michael S says:

Right now my Tab 2 stats show the device is going 2 days 14 hours on a battery charge with 43% left. I use the Tab a few hours a day web surfing, doing research, checking and responding to emails. There are a number of ways to save juice so I'll mention a few that I use; which some, all, or none, may be applicable to others' situations:

#1 - Go into "Settings", then "Wi-Fi". At the top right-hand side there is a icon of "3 bars and a small triangle" (basically an option button) click on it and and when the "Advance" box shows on the screen, click it. Then click on "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" then check "only when plugged in". This will turn off the Wi-Fi when in sleep mode & running on the batteries. I use a login pattern to unlock my Tab and every time I unlock the screen it states "establishing Wi-Fi connection" I'm using WEP2 encryption on my network and the Tab starts Wi-Fi within seconds of waking from sleep. If one wants their Tab running multiple apps and to always have the most up-to-date information "pushed" to the device even while sleeping and running in battery mode, then one has to trade battery life for always-on information. The Wi-Fi will be active in sleep mode when it is plugged in. If you Always want the Wi-Fi off when in sleep mode then select "Never" instead of "Only when plugged in".

#2 - I mostly use my Tab at home or at the office. I have both Wi-Fi network settings saved in the device, so I turned off "Network Notification" in the same area as # 1 above. This stops the Tab from periodically searching the Wi-Fi Network for "Open Networks". If I go out and want to connect to a Wi-fi hot spot, I simply turn this feature back on.

Note: When you are in "Settings" and "Wi-Fi" mode you will notice that periodically the device shows "Scanning". Because you are in Wi-Fi mode, it scans to refresh the wi-fi networks its found, to help you connect to them. It does not continue to scan the network after you leave Wi-Fi settings, unless "Network Notification" is turn on, although the scan intervals may be different between the two modes.

#3 - In "Settings" then " Location Services" make sure "Use GPS Satellites" is unchecked. This requires more battery and a clear view of the sky, and is really only useful outside.

Those 3 settings will make a difference in battery consumption, and will not affect most people's use of the Tablet, although others' actual mileage may vary :)

#4 - In addition, as I stated earlier, I mostly use my Tab 2 at work or home, so I always know where I am. Therefore, I also turn off "Use Wireless Networks" (Found in the "Location Service" section). This use Wi-Fi to help determine your location for Maps and such. If a App or Apps are running in the background and they have a location feature, this stop them from updating while the Tab is sitting idle, or your while your using other apps.

#5- Because I use my Tab mostly at work or home and I know where I am, I usually turn-off GPS. Click on the "Clock" icon at the lower right-hand side, and then uncheck "GPS". If I ever need it, I quickly turn it back on.

#6- In "Settings" "Account and Sync" I have "Auto Sync" turned off. I turn it on when it's plugged in and then have it Sync. Then I turn if off once its done charging and back on battery power. I usually sync only 1-2 per week, same as my Skyrocket.

#7- Next, in "Settings" then "Developer Options" (I don't run a bunch of Apps and don't use a lot of "Notifications") so I check the box "Do not Keep Activities" This means when I leave an App, ICS closes the app instead of letting it run in the background, possibly sucking more juice. I saved this one for last, as it impacts the tablet operation the most. If a person uses "Notifications" or likes to multitask with many apps running and want to quickly switch between them, then thus option is not useful. What it does do is free one up from going into "Task Manager" and closing down a bunch of Apps you thought you closed but were only minimized when you exit-ed the App.

#8- Lastly, Usually the biggest drain on the battery is the display. Currently under "Battery" in "Settings" the Display has consumed 65%, with the next closest item "Internet" at 19%, and "Android System" & "Android OS" at 5% each, with everything else at less than 5% combined. Unfortunately, I'm unable to recommend the "Auto-Display" mode, as for me, it makes the display too dark most of the time (click on the "Clock" icon and then check the "Auto" box to engage).

I keep the display setting at about 20-25% as I mostly use the tab 2 indoors. As mentioned above, others' actual mileage may vary with Auto-Display turned on. I use Auto-Display on my Skyrocket, as I use it equally indoors and outdoors. When indoors, I find Auto-Display too dark also, but I live with it because when using the Skyrocket outdoors I find the Auto-Display is a must to see the display in bright sunlight, and therefore watch the battery drain accordingly. To compensation for this, I replaced the stock battery (1,850 mAh) with an extended battery (2,250 mAh) for a 22% capacity increase. This is obviously not a option on the Tab 2.

Hope this is of help!! I know it was to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201