TMO lollipop 5.1 rolling out now

ron561

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
You are well aware that this is totally T-Mobile's fault and has nothing to do with Samsung, right? So how many times have you asked your carrier to fix this blunder? Personally, I would be in the phone with them every day until they fix it. But that is just me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Memory is T-Mobile's fault?

*edit*

I see you've edited to clarify. I'm already aware of T-Mobile role in the cell stand by issue. I've already contacted via phone and gone in store. There's really only so many times you can do that before you just give up and wait for an update to fix it. Luckily, we can bypass it for now although it requires disabling a few features. The aggressive memory management on the other hand is something we cannot bypass as easily. As you can see from the xda thread I linked, it requires a bit of work to change the values so that your apps aren't constantly closing. That is something Samsung must correct.

Last edited:

caperailfan

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I just installed the update on my T-Mobile S6. The update took a few minutes to download at just over 600mb. After the update installed, I shut my device off and then cleared the cache partition. When I rebooted the phone after clearing the cache partition, I received a message asking if I wanted to send an error report because logs where gathered from the update. Looking at the about screen I am running Android 5.1.1 though. I reset my phone to the factory default state and everything seems to be working.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: TMO lollipop 5.1

Hopefully AT&T gets this soon!
Are there any UI differences besides removal of the S-Finder and the Theme Store?

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: TMO lollipop 5.1

Both the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge on T-Mobile are receiving an update today to Android 5.1.1. The build drops in as G920TUVU1AOF6 for the regular S6 and G925TUVU1AOF6 for the S6 Edge. The update also weighs in at 630MB and 635MB, respectively.

So what’s new? The only “new” feature is Google’s anti-theft protection for Android, which forces users to login to their Google’s accounts even after factory resetting. This step should make it quite difficult for those considering stealing your phone and then wiping it clean before either using the phone or re-selling it.

The rest of the update should fix who knows how many bugs from earlier builds of Lollipop. T-Mobile lists that the update improves the following:
Black boxes in email is resolved
Camera LED flashlight is resolved
Check for Amazon error is resolved
Failed to reboot – error message is resolved
Fingerprint scanner improvements
Various bug fixes and device improvements

I can’t help but think the bulk of that 630MB file is tied to that last bullet point.

A number of users are already receiving the update, so if you would like to pull it, head into Settings>About device>Software update.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing there's no RAW or shutter speed support for the camera with this 5.1.1 update?? I've heard a couple people saying there is no raw but no one has said anything about the shutter speed. I'm on Verizon so I have to wait... Can someone please see if there are any camera changes?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You are well aware that this is totally T-Mobile's fault (cell standby with VoLTE and wifi calling) and has nothing to do with Samsung, right?

As I have said in the past -- If it was specifically only a T-Mobile issue then why have AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint users also reported the "Cell Standby" bug -- I am not saying T-Mobile's version may not have issues .. Just saying Cell Standby isn't only on the T-Mobile variant.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
As I have said in the past -- If it was specifically only a T-Mobile issue then why have AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint users also reported the "Cell Standby" bug -- I am not saying T-Mobile's version may not have issues .. Just saying Cell Standby isn't only on the T-Mobile variant.

I'm on Verizon and I have never had that issue at all since day one with the release of this phone

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and I have never had that issue at all since day one with the release of this phone

I know people with Verizon/ATT they both have the Cell Standby issues (S6/S6E). I also know someone with T-mobile (S6) without cell standby issues.

I myself suffer from both memory management issues, and cellstandby issues even after update.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Not all have -- Just like not all T-Mobile users experience it... But if you look around the forums each carrier variant has reported the issue.

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Might be placebo effect but battery life seems better. I updated then went to sleep with full battery and woke up 5 hours later with 98 percent battery. Still too soon to say for sure.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I know people with Verizon/ATT they both have the Cell Standby issues (S6/S6E). I also know someone with T-mobile (S6) without cell standby issues.

I myself suffer from both memory management issues, and cellstandby issues even after update.

Cell standby issue(s) typically are seen in areas with weak cell signal. The mobile radio has to ratchet up the transmit power in these weak areas to maintain connection.

i.e. I updated my phone to 5.1.1 this AM. All day, cell standby did not even show up in my battery usage log (I was in good signal pretty much all day). I got home an hour ago (where I have pathetic signal) and within 1 hour cell standby 5%.

I've done similar tests when I was on 5.0.2 and pretty much was able to associate poor signal with the cell standby issue. BTW, I leave VoLTE on.

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Cell standby issue(s) typically are seen in areas with weak cell signal. The mobile radio has to ratchet up the transmit power in these weak areas to maintain connection.

i.e. I updated my phone to 5.1.1 this AM. All day, cell standby did not even show up in my battery usage log (I was in good signal pretty much all day). I got home an hour ago (where I have pathetic signal) and within 1 hour cell standby 5%.

I've done similar tests when I was on 5.0.2 and pretty much was able to associate poor signal with the cell standby issue. BTW, I leave VoLTE on.
It's interesting you say that because after updating to 5.1.1 cell standby has become my highest battery drain.

Sitting on full bars...
2a9c775daa19092b1ff4e32706fb105f.jpg

I'm gonna try doing a factory reset and see if that helps.

Sent from my Galaxy S6.

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here (I'm using an S6Edge - posted in this thread as it's more active than the edge forum).

I updated this morning, and cell standby is currently at 22percent. I've had wifi on while home, and shut it off when I was out and about much of the day.

The standby issue has been non existent for me since I've shut off wifi calling, voice over LTE and smart network switch months ago. Now it's back :(

Attachments

• 1118.jpg
    1118.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 200

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It's interesting you say that because after updating to 5.1.1 cell standby has become my highest battery drain.

Sitting on full bars...
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/15/2a9c775daa19092b1ff4e32706fb105f.jpg

I'm gonna try doing a factory reset and see if that helps.

Sent from my Galaxy S6.

Did you do the Wipe cache Partition in Recovery mode? Try what I'm posting below.

Same issue here (I'm using an S6Edge - posted in this thread as it's more active than the edge forum).

I updated this morning, and cell standby is currently at 22percent. I've had wifi on while home, and shut it off when I was out and about much of the day.

The standby issue has been non existent for me since I've shut off wifi calling, voice over LTE and smart network switch months ago. Now it's back :(

I replied to you in the edge forum's thread, try about the wifi calling, but also, have you done the Wipe Cache Partition in Recovery mode?

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you do the Wipe cache Partition in Recovery mode? Try what I'm posting below.

I replied to you in the edge forum's thread, try about the wifi calling, but also, have you done the Wipe Cache Partition in Recovery mode?
Yes it was the first thing I did after updating. I even checked my settings to see if anything was turned on after the update. Everything was how I had it before.

Sent from my Galaxy S6.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes it was the first thing I did after updating. I even checked my settings to see if anything was turned on after the update. Everything was how I had it before.

Sent from my Galaxy S6.

It seems that way but believe me, if it doesn't say Disabled when looking to it from the Call settings menu, it isn't, just enter to the wifi calling and turn it on and off again, then you'll see that it shows as disabled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pumice stone