Totally Baffled. What would do this?

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'm one of the people who have problems with wi-fi continuously connecting and disconnecting. Which leads to my phone eating my data.

I can't change out my modem since it's a combo modem/router, and honestly, every other device in my house works fine except for this phone, so doing that just to make this phone work isn't something I want to do. (Yes, I've tried both 2.4ghz and 5 ghz, they both do the same thing with the disconnecting/reconnecting.)

On the Google forums, it said a temp solution was to connect to 5ghz and turn on Bluetooth. This will stop the disconnection.

Lo and behold, this works. Granted, I don't use Bluetooth for anything at all, but if it stopped the behavior, I was willing to try. However, with wi-fi continuously connected (no drop in connection that I can visually see on the phone) , the phone is STILL chewing through my data. Not at the rate it was doing before, but I check and just watch my data use go up while I'm on wi-fi with no disconnects.

I know diddly squat about bluetooth, but I'm guessing this wouldn't affect my data since I'm not using it for anything.
I'm really, really disappointed, because it's not like I have a lot of data to waste, and keeping data off is just impractical. I hate flipping it back and forth to receive a photo or send something. It's aggravating.

I had to pay more on my contract plus extra to get the Pixel XL, so at this point, I just feel like I wasted my money. Does anyone know why this phone would still eat data on wifi using bluetooth? Maybe I'm just misinformed, but it's depressing.

Any insight would be helpful.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I would check for a rouge app like Facebook.

I am connected to WiFi most of the time, and my XL uses a fraction of the data my LG G3 used.

If anything, I would say this is optimized to use less data.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello! I'm so sorry that you are experiencing this issue. Has your Pixel XL always been connecting and disconnecting; or was there a time (before you tried your Bluetooth solution) that your Wi-Fi stayed consistent? I only ask because my own device (Honor 8) was fine with my Wi-Fi for a while; and then I had a few days of disconnect/reconnect with Wi-Fi. But that issue seems to be gone for the moment.

I definitely understand your frustration - it's quite disheartening waiting for your Wi-Fi to reconnect; especially when you want to send/receive photos or actually USE it in general! Have you had this issue before with other devices?

Try turning your network/Wi-Fi/data connections off and then on again and see what happens. Keep us posted!

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
My Pixel has done this since launch. But I didn't notice it until my return policy was past and my data usage was completely gone in the middle of a month. I like the phone, but this is just crazy. I have no idea what would cause data to be used when something is connected to Wifi w/ Bluetooth. It doesn't even make sense, but my screenshots prove it. I think I'm just going to take it in and get looked at / fixed. I'm so aggravated at this point. :/

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does this happen on all wi-fi networks, or just the home one? If it's only the home network, then log into the router settings using your desktop browser (look at the router manual to learn how) and try changing the wifi channel that's being used for 2.4 GHz.

MomoMilky

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if google phones has this exact setup, but you can try this:
In settings, under Locations --> Improve Accuracy --> turn off "WiFi-scanning"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel