Touchwiz: Love it or hate it?

Do you love Touchwiz, hate it, or don't really care?

• Total voters

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
jrz5024: your title should be "Touchwiz on Epic love it or hate it?" Many of us early on said Samsung rushed the epic version because of the horizontal format necessity of a slider- they removed many features because they ran out of time.

If you read the impressions of the leaked Froyo build- ALL OF the missing touchwiz features are addressed with Epic 2.2 update...now let's see if they STAY for the official build.

Most of your complaints are homescreen and app drawer issues though... Touchwiz is much more than that. It's the contact/dialer and integration throughout the device - which i think is well done and cleaner to read and better executed than MANY of the Android phones today.

Personally, I hate ANY LAUNCHER that uses default Android spacing. I need 5 columns and 5 rows on each homescreen. It just feels better to me- so I use launchers like Launcher Pro Plus and these days- Zeam, to accomplish this. The poor use of homescreen space using a 4x4 layout coupled with Touchwiz's poorly sized widgets will probably keep me from ever using it as a homescreen or app tray... but I say the same thing of HTC's Sense as well.

I welcome the updated Epic Touchwiz that comes with Froyo- but will I use many of the new features due to not being able to change to a 5x5 grid or a standard android app tray...? Probably not.

That said- I feel the additions that Samsung provides in TW is way better than Motoblur or LG... and I like a customizable dock over the terrible HTC Sense gray arch dock.

Personally, I'd rather see more people using and supporting market app and widget development than expecting device makers to create widgets and the like. Like Jorte for a superior Calendar, Facez or Tweetdeck for social apps, Buzzbox or Pulse for RSS, Zeam or Launcher Pro Plus for homescreen and app tray customization, Folder Organizer for applicaton and folder /icon grouping/changing etc.

Instead of griping about the Samsung UI shortfalls- the great thing about Android is you can change it... something you can't do on another phone OS... Personally, I hope Samsung and the Nexus S will lead to Samsung releasing more "pure Google" phones in the future- and some with a keyboard- ahh for now it's just a dream.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
OK.... I installed Launcher Pro to see what all the fuss was about. Below are a few quick comments I have about it...

I hate being able to hide the apps I don't want to see...
I hate scrollable widgets...
I hate being able to choose how many columns or how many home screens I have...
I hate being able to choose how many docks I have...

While I still say the there is nothing wrong with TouchWiz and it is just fine for most people. I do find that I like Launcher Pro better.

OK I SAID IT.... Are you happy now?

mister2quick

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I just wish that companies would look at android as a "build your own phone" aspect. If companies like Motorola, HTC and Samsung released their own UI versions available for download, that would entice more people to go with android.

The whole reason I waited so long was because I am not a fan of TouchWiz, but having the options to go with ADW or LauncherPro convinced me to go with android.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Huh... What's a TouchWiz??
I actually have NEVER used it.. I bought the phone.. said ewww and replaced with LPP within minutes of having the phone...
Which brings me to another UGLY.. I was in love with the old 2.1 messaging app.. It was simple, professional looking, FULLY FUNCTIONAL and worked.. It is now blue and yellow ugly cartoon kiddie bubbles on the 2.2 leak... WHY??. Sometimes, I seriously feel companies feel things have to be brightly colored and dumbed down for 'the average consumer' whatever that is.. Which unfortunately will leave a power user crying Wwwwhhhhhhyyyyyyy...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Huh... What's a TouchWiz??
I actually have NEVER used it.. I bought the phone.. said ewww and replaced with LPP within minutes of having the phone...
Which brings me to another UGLY.. I was in love with the old 2.1 messaging app.. It was simple, professional looking, FULLY FUNCTIONAL and worked.. It is now blue and yellow ugly cartoon kiddie bubbles on the 2.2 leak... WHY??. Sometimes, I seriously feel companies feel things have to be brightly colored and dumbed down for 'the average consumer' whatever that is.. Which unfortunately will leave a power user crying Wwwwhhhhhhyyyyyyy...

I hope not... I love the current messaging program.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Relax- download Go sms from the market (free) toggle settings / themes/ dark theme

It should meet with your satisfaction. You can change the fonts and text colors if you want. This app also has bubbles but that's for other themes.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Relax- download Go sms from the market (free) toggle settings / themes/ dark theme

It should meet with your satisfaction. You can change the fonts and text colors if you want. This app also has bubbles but that's for other themes.

True, but the default 2.1 was still better, and faster to me. I am really hoping someone can make an installable APK for it. Personally I find that only Handcent(over-bloated) can replicate this the best, but I really just want that perfect(to me) messaging app that I loved before...

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Why does it seem that everyone hates TouchWiz?

I used to have a Blackberry. I think TouchWiz is amazing in comparison. Only thing is i wish they had more widgets like Sense UI on HTC EVO 4G. What are your likes and dislikes about it?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think a big thing for people on Eclair is the fact that you cannot customize the launcher, something that will be rectified in Froyo. I personally go for speed, and the TW launcher is not the quickest around.

Slydragon

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I like it....nothing is ever going to be perfect. I keep reading everyone waiting for the big update and I just dont get it or know enough about it to get hype. I think a lot of people are hyping the update up and it will make the phone perferct, but I think the update will be nit pick and then posted on the interwebs how this or that sucks and when is the next update.

So instead of sweating it, I just enjoy what I have now. I don't want to mess with my phone because once I start my ocd will take over and I will mess with it until I brick it and then bring it back to 100% and still not be happy.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I think a big thing for people on Eclair is the fact that you cannot customize the launcher, something that will be rectified in Froyo. I personally go for speed, and the TW launcher is not the quickest around.
What are people referring to as the Launcher? The four icons at the bottom?

bru4242

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I have TW and I'm fine with it. First time android user, and I haven't played around with other launchers for that matter. I do notice it stutters and lags at times. For those of you who use TW: Have you noticed performance gains by either installing the Voodoo kernel or employing a task manager?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo