Trade Ins - please help with the fine print [title edited by Mod]

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I got screwed on a trade in awhile back and don't want to make the same mistake again. Every time I do an upgrade it seems there's something sneaky going on and I wind up paying a whole lot more than what I thought it would be and on the hook for 2 years making my bill way over what we can really afford to pay because of the dang payment plans for the phone itself.

We're currently on Verizon and I'm thinking of buying direct from the Samsung site. Looking at this page for example: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...56gb-verizon-sm-f711uzkevzw%2F&token=mobC14fh
in the upper right area they say Unlocked from $449.99 then you go through their trade in process and I got 4 phones with a total of $555.00 trade in value. This phone is $1049.00 full price.

So where do they take the $555.00 off as in what dollar amount am I looking at seeing on my bill as a balance due? The last time I upgraded in a similar way I would up having to pay the entire $1049.00 in payments. I was furious! I don't want any phone payments on my bill.

We have 2 phones, one for hubby and one for me plus I want to add a phone to be the home phone for emergencies and to use for "giving out" when I don't want to give out my cell # I've done this before and it works real slick.

Hubby's balance due on his phone is $140 and mine is $600 (ouch!) Does Verizon still allow me to use my hubby's phone for an upgrade and then swap the phones within the account afterwards?

Thanks!
Deb

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
FYI, I edited your thread just to add some additional text at the end of the title. For some goofy reason, the AC forum software automatically converts any post with the word "print" at the end of the thread title into some weird print format that no one else can reply to.:confused:

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I deleted a longish reply that basically said "read the fine print". I looked again and realized that this is what you want me to do, then interpret it for you. I don't have the time for this but from what I see in your post, if you are actually paying Samsung or Verizon the difference between the MSRP and trade-in value (1049-555=$494), then you own the phone and pay no more. If you don't pay for it outright and $494 is paid via bill credits, then this may be a good deal, as long as you're happy to stay with VZ through the term of the credits or can prepay the balance should you want to leave. Be very wary if any part of the of the trade-in value is listed on your bill as credits.

You could go to a company owned (not a 3rd party authorized retailer) store and they should be able to explain all the details.

Now, just noticed the part where you owe on a couple phones. I don't see how you'll be able to trade these in if they are part of the collective $555 you have,

Last edited:

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi Deb trying to make sure I understand your plan of action.. So you are looking to buy unlocked phone from Samsung? And trading in 4 devices correct.. With Samsung you will owe the balance after trade in.. So $1049 phone minus trade ins $555. You will owe $494 plus taxes.. You can then choose to pay it outright or finance at checkout... Now from my understanding do you still owe on the phones you are trading in?