Transfer data from old phone to new phone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello,

I have an old LG G3 that I want to replace with a Galaxy S8.
I used the SmartSwitch App while connecting the two phones to the same USB cable, but it didn't transfer the call log and messages history, not to mention WhatsApp's message history.

I tried using MobileTrans in demo mode, it's not worth the effort, it doesn't do anything. I also looked into Dr. fone, but both require a payment, I'm looking for something that I don't have to buy. Why should I buy a software when I'll be using it only once???

What free software on a Windows 10 PC or App on the two phones can I use to perform a complete transfer, even if it is in two stages?

Thank you,

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Whatsapp shouldn't require SmartSwitch. If you configured backup on the old phone, it should backup to Google Drive. Log in to the Same Google account on the new phone using the same phone number and Whatsapp SHOULD find the backup and offer a restore (FAQ on this is on their page, which I can't access here at work).

Bobs53

Oct 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi Mustang 7757,

Thank you for sending the link to register.
Yes, I used Smart Switch with a USB cable

Maybe I can correct myself, I am mostly interested in transferring text and WhatsApp messages history from the LG G3 to the S8.

Thank you,

Hi Hallux, I manually backed up WhatsApp to Google Drive earlier but for some reason, even the storage usage didn't change.
The size of the backup was 1.3GB (including videos). Are you sure the new phone should find it?

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Mustang 7757,

Thank you for sending the link to register.
Yes, I used Smart Switch with a USB cable

Maybe I can correct myself, I am mostly interested in transferring text and WhatsApp messages history from the LG G3 to the S8.

Thank you,
Text it should definitely transfer over with smart switch , whatsapp... once you install and log in to your account should show last back.up to new device

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Hallux, I manually backed up WhatsApp to Google Drive earlier but for some reason, even the storage usage didn't change.
The size of the backup was 1.3GB (including videos). Are you sure the new phone should find it?

It should. You MAY need to go in and select to restore but I thought there was an automatic aspect to it. The FAQs on their website will have the answers you seek, that's where I learned about it but as I said - I can't access the site at work.

I decided to pull out my tablet to look it up for you. It should have prompted you to restore your history... https://faq.whatsapp.com/android/chats/how-to-restore-your-chat-history/

Last edited by a moderator:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The link worked for me. That article is just a tech blogger's attempt to get clicks using information readily available from the Whatsapp page as I linked above. Skimming the article it seems to be explaining the same process as the FAQ direct from the app developer...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The link worked for me. That article is just a tech blogger's attempt to get clicks using information readily available from the Whatsapp page as I linked above. Skimming the article it seems to be explaining the same process as the FAQ direct from the app developer...
Yeah in forums app , in chrome was broken .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossfrey