Transfer RCS between Samsung and Google Messages

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Question, I want to start to use google messages as the default. The only thing is I have chat conversations that don't transfer from the Samsung messaging app to google messages. Whole pieces of conversations are just missing some of which I would like to keep with out having to go back into Samsung messages. Is there a way to get these messages to appear in the google messages app?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Once you switch to Google message app leave it as default for little bit maybe force close also and see if they repopulate again

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I think when you switch to a new messaging app, it will only show you the messages that are sent to you and not all the messages you've sent. I've run into this as well when I've switched. I've been using Google messages for a couple years now.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Once you switch to Google message app leave it as default for little bit maybe force close also and see if they repopulate again

Its the RCS messages that don't transfer from Samsung messages to google messages. I am going to back up my messages delete all of them and the restore them with google messages as default and set up for RCS.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Ok try that way and let us know.

Does not work, the only way rcs get backed up is if its from the google messages app. Its interesting because I noticed that if I send a RCS message in google messages. It appears in the Samsung messages as an mms message. Would be nice if it worked both ways, oh well. I am switching over in preparation for when I get my pixel 5. Unless in the transfer and setup process the RCS messages get brought over as well.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Does not work, the only way rcs get backed up is if its from the google messages app. Its interesting because I noticed that if I send a RCS message in google messages. It appears in the Samsung messages as an mms message. Would be nice if it worked both ways, oh well. I am switching over in preparation for when I get my pixel 5. Unless in the transfer and setup process the RCS messages get brought over as well.
It should for pixel 5 as it uses rcs , curious you on unlocked version samsung?

Last edited:

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
It should for pixel 5 as it uses rcs , curious you on unlocked version samsung?

The messages RCS I send with google messages on the Samsung will definitely appear on the pixel 5. However the RCS messages in Samsung messages will not ever appear on the Pixel 5. I will just have to suck it up and lose whole chunks of conversation thanks to googles locked down RCS api. Kind of annoying and frustrating that they don't allow RCS messages to transfer between 2 capable apps.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The messages RCS I send with google messages on the Samsung will definitely appear on the pixel 5. However the RCS messages in Samsung messages will not ever appear on the Pixel 5. I will just have to suck it up and lose whole chunks of conversation thanks to googles locked down RCS api. Kind of annoying and frustrating that they don't allow RCS messages to transfer between 2 capable apps.
Are you in the unlocked firmware or carrier? Unlocked firmware unless Sprint has no rcs in Samsung message app , I have on my unlocked Note 20u download Samsung/Google coloration app with rcs , don't use stock Samsung on it anymore.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Are you in the unlocked firmware or carrier? Unlocked firmware unless Sprint has no rcs in Samsung message app , I have on my unlocked Note 20u download Samsung/Google coloration app with rcs , don't use stock Samsung on it anymore.

I am carrier locked to t-mobile/sprint, I have working RCS using the Samsung Messages app. I am able to message using RCS to people with both google messages and Samsung messages. Its just a pain to not be able to transfer rcs messages from Samsung messages to google messages.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am carrier locked to t-mobile/sprint, I have working RCS using the Samsung Messages app. I am able to message using RCS to people with both google messages and Samsung messages. Its just a pain to not be able to transfer rcs messages from Samsung messages to google messages.
For now use one or the other

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I am going to just stick it out with google messages, prefer the interface of Samsung messages and the ability to have tabs with different contact groups. With the Pixel 5 on its way, I need to get use to google messages. With google wanting their app to be the standard, I hope they introduce more features to it. Its just basic and does the bare minimum but it is only one of 2 apps that has RCS which is being pushed to be the standard.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am going to just stick it out with google messages, prefer the interface of Samsung messages and the ability to have tabs with different contact groups. With the Pixel 5 on its way, I need to get use to google messages. With google wanting their app to be the standard, I hope they introduce more features to it. Its just basic and does the bare minimum but it is only one of 2 apps that has RCS which is being pushed to be the standard.
This what Samsung/Google collaboration app looks like , from icon it looks like Google messages but when open it has Samsung UI feel
19b2a4c74e8f5d3de873f6e82c8bac71.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796