Turn off background data/syncing for apps while connected to wifi?

A

AC Question

I have done some research and haven't found a solid answer, so I'm hoping that someone here can help me.

I am trying to figure out if there is a way that I can turn off background data/automatic syncing in all of my apps when I'm connected to Wi-Fi. Besides going in to each app and turning off the syncing.

The reason for this is that I'm going to be going on a cruise and the Wi-Fi on the ship is not exactly cheap, so I'd like not to go through a lot of data every time I connect to it because all of my apps decide that they are going to connect.

I have a Nexus 5 running 6.0.

I've read about the "Metered Wi-Fi network" settings, but it doesn't say exactly what it does - in the help it mainly talks about restricting background data on a mobile network, and setting data limits on a mobile network, even though it's supposed to be the "help" about Metered Wi-Fi networks.

Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated, because I really don't want to have to go through each app and disable any syncing that it's doing - that could take a while!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You can restrict background data universally (and not just for individual apps) by going to Settings>Data Usage, tap Menu, then Restrict Background Data.

EDIT: Sorry, but I just realized that setting also says it's for cellular data, not wi-fi.

What if you just turn off the global Auto-Sync?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. :)

Hmm...cruises are meant to be expensive by their nature.
However you may find that one of the Tasker-type apps will allow you to program the phone to Turn off background app refresh/When wifi is switched on....or similar.
Enjoy the cruise. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rezaking886