Turn off Bluetooth auto connect?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

Nuc86

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
I have kind of the same problem with a BT adapter for our stereo. The adapter is always on for everyone to easily connecting to it. However this made it kind of a random race as for whom would connect to it at any given time.
Also when someone was home alone our phones/tablets would automatically connect to the adapter even when we didn't want to use it.

Unfortunately it seems like no one has solved this issue elegantly, though the solution seems obvious; implementing a BT auto connect setting for each BT device paired.

I did however find a usable work around:
By opening the BT settings for each device, for which you don't want to automatically connect to your phone or tablet, you can deselect all the functionalities for that device.
This will actually make your phone or tablet not reconnect to the device until you enable at least one of the devices functionalities again.
Now the trick is to make the device settings as easily accessible as possible. My current solution to this is adding a widget to our phones and tablets. Right now I have only found a widget that will let us enter the BT general settings, and not the settings of an individual device. But even this solution is working, all though it by no means is perfect.

If anyone knows of a widget that'll let me enter the settings of a specific BT device directly, please leave a note in here...
The same goes of course if you know of a simpler solution or work around for the problem causing this discussion.

Activate the Developers options and to "Maximum connected Bluetooth audio devices" and change to 1 device.

Restart your device.

Nuc86

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
Activate the Developers options and to "Maximum connected Bluetooth audio devices" and change to 1 device.

Restart your device.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Restart your device.
Hi, welcome to AC!

Thanks for your tip., we see if anyone still interested or found a fix for this .

Pajerich

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I am still interested. Having the same issues. Unfortunately there is no "Maximum connected bluerooth audio devices" developer option. S10e, android 11
Any solution is welcome. Manual connect config/device or even for all devices would be the best but i am open to anything but unpairing and pairing...

Danq1357

Jan 29, 2022
Visit site
You have to turn on the developer option first before you can access this in the Settings menu, from memory go to About phone in Settings and tap on the Android version number several times. But you should be able to Google the exact steps

mmortal03

Mar 31, 2018
Visit site
I did however find a usable work around:
By opening the BT settings for each device, for which you don't want to automatically connect to your phone or tablet, you can deselect all the functionalities for that device.
This is definitely a helpful workaround to avoid automatically reconnecting to a Bluetooth receiver in the house. Thanks!

Restart your device.
But doesn't that just change the number of audio devices that you can remain connected to, in the sense of *quickly* switching between them? I think this is different than which devices your phone will *auto-connect* to.
I tried to find a good explanation for that setting, and the only somewhat useful description of it I could find online was:
"This setting determines how many Bluetooth audio devices you can keep connected. It is useful if you have a smart home with smart responsive audio devices that practice IoT."
It seems like you'd have to still stay connected to *one* device persistently for this setting to help block auto-connecting to any other device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martinst-uk