turn screen wake off for notifications

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I was having this same issue with my Note 4. I looked through this thread hoping for a quick answer without new apps and didn't find one. What worked form me was going to settings>sound and notifications>application notifications. I then clicked on the offending apps (messages, messenger, gmail) and turned "previews in pop-ups" off. That worked for me in gmail, but not messages.

I have a Note 4, and I'm having the same problem.

I think turning off notifications for Messages is overkill.

My main issue with this problem is that if the screen stays on, it drains the battery.

I'll have a notification with the phone in my pocket, and the screen will stay lighted for a few hours until I check my phone again.

Filip Kolev

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
I noticed this issue a few weeks ago. It is clearly a problem in Android and is not related to a specific app or phone model.

I have two phones, both with 8.1 - a Nexus 6P and a Xiaomi Mi A1. So this is what I observed with both phones in front of me. On my Nexus, I turned off the notifications for one app, but left these on on the Mi. I got a message, so the Mi showed the notification; at the same instant, the Nexus's screen lit up without showing the notification.
This happens on the Mi as well. Specifically, I disabled the notifications for a game, but I still see the screen of the Mi light up without any obvious reason at the time I expect the game to send a notification.

Pretty stupid to turn the screen on for a blocked notification, seems like a very basic oversight. Something in the notification blocking code is not thought through.