Question Unable to make or receive calls

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
Hello -
Since making a carrier switch this week, I have been unable to make or receive calls. Can anyone help me? I have done all the troubleshooting steps suggested by the new carrier, along with everything I could find here, and YouTube, and Google (such as restarting, reinserting SIM, resetting network, updating APN, turning on/off Bluetooth and airplane mode, etc., but all to no avail. Here are additional details that may be useful.
The device is an LG G8 ThinQ. Data works fine; no problem sending/receiving texts or using apps or Internet. Plenty of bars.
When I try to call out, nothing happens. The screen says calling, but it never rings.
If I try calling my number from another phone, it goes directly to voice-mail.
I tried the new SIM card in another phone and was able to make calls with no problem.
I tried putting the other phone's SIM card in my phone and still could not make or receive calls.
This leads me to the conclusion that it is a phone issue, not a carrier issue. Am I on the right track?
I had my previous carrier unlock my phone. They provided a code which I entered into the phone. I also followed up with them and they assured me it was unlocked.
Does anyone have any ideas of what else to try? I really appreciate any help you can provide. The carrier phone reps have attempted to be helpful but not accomplished much.
Thank you in advance.

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
It's possible that your phone isn't properly unlocked from your old carrier... I've seen and experienced issues like that trying to unlock phones. That's one of the reasons I only buy factory unlocked phones anymore 😉
ATT swears it is and I entered the provided code with no issue. I tried an online IMEI checked and it didn't say there was an issue. Is there another way to check?

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
A couple of things before the reset. Are you using a Call Blocker App? Stock dialer? Are you using a family management app which controls access ie for children?
Not using any Call Blocker App.
I'm pretty sure it's the stock dialer. If I click on info at the phone icon, it brings up app page called Contacts which says it's a default.
No family management app in use.

Reactions: methodman89

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Something to consider. Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile's network. T-Mobile has been moving most connection to band 71. That's their newer "extended range" band for calls (because of the lower 600Mhz frequency).

That AT&T LG does not support that band at all.

If you happen to be in an area where band 71 is all T-Mobile provides, thus all Mint Mobile provides, then your LG can't make a complete connection.

Just a possibility.

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
Something to consider. Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile's network. T-Mobile has been moving most connection to band 71. That's their newer "extended range" band for calls (because of the lower 600Mhz frequency).

That AT&T LG does not support that band at all.

If you happen to be in an area where band 71 is all T-Mobile provides, thus all Mint Mobile provides, then your LG can't make a complete connection.

Just a possibility.
Thanks for the thought. Something to consider. When I tried swapping SIM cards with someone and still couldn't make calls, did not consider that they are on T-Mobile network.

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
In case anyone has a similar issue in the future and comes upon my post when searching the forums, I want to share the conclusion to my saga. Short story - I gave up with Mint and switched to Cricket. I could reasonably expect phone compatibility since my device originally came from ATT. Longer story - I still don't know for sure what the issue was since it seems Mint reps always had a different theory but never a successful solution. If I had to guess, I would say that user joeldf was on track with his idea that my phone's bands don't work with Mint. One would think Mint would know based on model of the phone and IMEI. Anyway, since 7 days guarantee period was elapsing, I cancelled and requested a refund from Mint.
Thanks to all who responded and provided suggestions for resolution.

Last edited: