Unfamiliar file keeps appearing on my phone.

GloomyGhost

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S20+ and within my files under internal storage, a file keeps appearing that I'm not familiar with. I have deleted it but it just returned. Here is the file name -

.HhTjqSRo6dybqDAV2ImUSREmnZU=

When I click the folder inside it has one item titled as - .nomedia that is 288b.

I'm just paranoid that it is something bad. I virus protection that doesn't report problems but I'd like to know what this could be for peace of mind.

Thanks so much in advance and sorry if this is a dumb question 😅

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Given that folder is named with a preceding period in its name and the folder itself contains a .nomedia file that's an indicator that this is a folder some multimedia app needs to be able to function. Each time you delete it the folder needs to be recreated. The app could be the default Gallery app or some third-party multimedia app like VLC or PowerAmp, the tip-off being a ,nomedia file is needed to exclude that folder from having its content scanned and indexed by other media apps.
I'd suggest you scale back your paranoia about everything and anything being some kind of threat, and whatever file manager app you're using to go into that app's Settings menu and disable viewing hidden files and folders so they're no longer automatically showing in a display window. Having hidden files/folders visible is just adding fuel to your paranoia fire. There are going to be a lot of oddly named files that various apps use as temp working directories, not unlike an app's cache files, that are typically not visible to the average user since there's no need for us to be interacting with them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree, this is not unusual. I can't say for sure which app or system component is creating the file, but it's present on most devices. Nothing to worry about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia