Unfortunately Contacts has Stopped

Jerry Thomason

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Clearing the call log did not help. Neither did clearing the cache on contacts and contacts storage. Neither did enabling background data on the play store, or resetting app preferences for all apps. That September update should be rolled back before someone needs 911 and can't get them. Someone is going to die, and Verizon is going to have a huge lawsuit.

rbentnail

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Why not back up to Google? Is there any evidence Google is the problem? So far we have lots of suggestions but no solutions.

This suggestion is contrary to all other advice everywhere that says to quit using Backup Assistant and switch to Google.

anon(8526177)

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I found a solution to the problem:

Open "People".. Tap on the 3 dots.. Then "Contacts to display".. Choose "All contacts" instead of Google only.

Now check whether the problem persists.

Why not back up to Google? Is there any evidence Google is the problem? So far we have lots of suggestions but no solutions.

This suggestion is contrary to all other advice everywhere that says to quit using Backup Assistant and switch to Google.

Yes there is! I figured that out myself. Avoid the use of Google backup. Anyway, I've given a solution to it above. Try it!

Last edited by a moderator:

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Open "People".. Tap on the 3 dots.. Then "Contacts to display".. Choose "All contacts" instead of Google only.

I don't display all contacts for a reason. This really isn't a solution.

AGuyWithARazrM

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I've having the same problem with contacts stopping. It's been going on for a few weeks, I've reset my phone lots of times and deleted apps. When I clear the contacts cache it will open for a few minutes, but then stops working again. Anyone find a good solution to this? I use my phone constantly for work and it is causing me a big inconvenience. I have a Razr M.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've having the same problem with contacts stopping. It's been going on for a few weeks, I've reset my phone lots of times and deleted apps. When I clear the contacts cache it will open for a few minutes, but then stops working again. Anyone find a good solution to this? I use my phone constantly for work and it is causing me a big inconvenience. I have a Razr M.

Display all contacts from settings and see if that works.

rbentnail

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
For me the problem seems to have just gone away. I haven't done anything since my initial problems but it hasn't happened for a few weeks now.

KINGLIFER

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
That was sick... the Ccleaner. I use that on my Windows computer as well.
Alot of people use Wondershare's MobileGo and restore txt and call logs... this will make your contacts crash esp if its on a different phone.
Just putting it out there.

Cyberchipz

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been getting this problem, it started shortly after the Verizon update for my phone; of course this might not be the problem, but it is a coincidence.
Even though I get "Unfortunately Google Contacts has stopped"; clicking on the message, and waiting a short time will make it available again. However, some time later, the message re-appears. I'm looking for solution also. Droid Razr HD - Verizon.
What is getting really irritating is when I can't answer the incoming call because I have to click OK on the error message before I can answer the phone. It is not always quick to close, and I've lost calls. In reality, I think it might be possible to say that this problem started after Google sold Motorola. Perhaps it is happening because the new owners are not honoring our privacy agreement we had with Google.

You'd need to be more specific; when you say Open People, what exactly do you mean; I have nothing in my phone as an app or section, that I can find, that is called "People" so, what do you mean Open "People"? Could you list the steps to get there from the main screen. What APP to open... etc.

avesi

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Problem solved! I found out how to get contacts to work on my Samsung Galaxy S4 again. Nearly had a heart attack when lost all my contacts after the last update (got the same good message "unfortunately contacts has stopped working"), but here is the simple solution that worked on my handset: On the home screen go to Settings - More - Application Manager. Find "Contact Storage" from under disabled or all applications filter and you will see that the update has disabled it. Enable and - voila! - you have all your contacts back :) I don't like to hang my personal contacts up into clouds or Google servers if I really don't need to so just went and exported the contact list to my computer. I hope it works for you too!

anon(8526177)

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Cyberchipz
Better yet open the "phone/dial" icon from the home screen, and swipe twice to favorite. Now follow the given steps under favorites.

Last edited:

ari restu

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Hai.. I've been having same problem "unfortunately contacts has stopped" till i cleared the storage in setting-apps-contacts-clear data (on storage). It works without losing any contact storage data..

Ritesh Ramchander

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
****SOLUTION******* : Just back up your contacts on google and through sync and back up option and go to manage apps and then clear data and clear defaults.... Thats it you are back!!!!

DARTH VAP3R

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Turn off the Google 2 step verification, allow access for less secure apps. Restart phone, s5 in my case. Also uninstalled the recent amazon apps and games prior to this, free ones on offer on Valentine's day recently. Also enabled all previously disabled bloatware. Had the amazon stopped working message, contacts stopped working and play services stopped working. Sending sms was glitchy too. All sorted now. Pretty sure the contacts one was due to recent Google security changes. Thought it was this after you mentioned disabling g+ helped, relating them to the same issue ;)

jglyfe

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem, contacts has stopped.

I've tried a reboot. Several times. The last time I left the device off for 7 hrs and when I turned it back on I let it sit for 3 hrs before doing anything.

Any ideas?

I am having same problem too! Just in past few weeks it started...I've even deleted many contacts just in case I had "too many" any answers on what to do??

MrElculver2424

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It absolutely must be an Android 5.0 bug. And I have a Galaxy S5, so it's the operating system.

I've had lots of problems since upgrading to Lollipop. I really dislike it. My phone is so much slower and things crash all the time. I get the "Unfortunately, contacts has stopped" message at least 5 times a day...at random times. It doesn't matter what I am doing on my phone; it will just appear.

I have already done a factory reset after upgrading to Lollipop. I was told that a factory reset could fix some of the issues I was having. It fixed NONE. Absolutely none. It was a colossal waste of time; do NOT do it.

I am extremely disappointed with these bugs in Lollipop.

rbentnail

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I am having same problem too! Just in past few weeks it started...I've even deleted many contacts just in case I had "too many" any answers on what to do??
I wish I had an answer for you- I don't. Every "solution" listed in this thread had little to no effect, for me at least. On my phone the problem just went away. Really. One day I had the problem, the next day I didn't. Sorry not to be of more help.

Still, every once in a rare while I get "unfortunately Maps has stopped". I close it and reopen it and it's fine. The Contacts one has never returned.

lleejeffery

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Same thing was happening to me. I Uninstaller the last Google+ update don't reinstall. And now the problem is solved.

Try uninstalling latest Google+ update. Don't reinstall. This worked for me on Note 4.