Unlocked S7 Edge

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yep and I don't understand why it's tough to push the updates for the US unlocked model. If they have to develop/ prepare security updates individually for each variant of the S7 then that's terrible software design. The guy in charge should be fired for developing such tightly coupled systems.

And now you know why Android fragmentation IS a thing. Nope, it's not as simple and Android itself is largely to blame, but each hardware variant and manufacturer customization to the OS makes things even more complicated.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Unlocked S7 Edge and updates

Good day all. I saw an article that the S7 and Edge on Verizon and T-mobile both got their July security updates this past week. My unlocked Edge still has the May update. Am I missing something? When I check it says I have the most up to date software. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks everyone!

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Unlocked S7 Edge and updates

Good day all. I saw an article that the S7 and Edge on Verizon and T-mobile both got their July security updates this past week. My unlocked Edge still has the May update. Am I missing something? When I check it says I have the most up to date software. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks everyone!

One of the (several) reasons I returned my unlocked S7. It seemed pretty clear from the get-go it wasn't going to get my carrier (Verizon) updates, at least not in a timely fashion. Not to mention the other carrier services it lacked.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I'm thinking of returning this one tomorrow for the AT&T variant. The lack of these updates combined with the lack of VoLTE and Visual Voice-mail is making me rethink it a good bit.

trinichindian

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

I'm on the unlocked and have June about a month now.

July seems to be taking a while though.

Posted via my Titanium S7 Edge!

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I assume you don't have the unlocked version that was released about 2 weeks ago? The US unlocked version

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

I assume you don't have the unlocked version that was released about 2 weeks ago? The US unlocked version

I've been pretty disappointed with mine so far. I may return it to Best Buy. My wireless signal has been bad compared to my T-Mobile variant. I've had more software hiccups with the unlocked version too. Not what I expected. I thought the experience would be better.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I've been pretty disappointed with mine so far. I may return it to Best Buy. My wireless signal has been bad compared to my T-Mobile variant. I've had more software hiccups with the unlocked version too. Not what I expected. I thought the experience would be better.

Posted via the Android Central App
Yeah Fallout Shelter seems to crash A LOT and I play that consistently. I am about to order the AT&T one again. Best Buy is doing a GC for that as well so it'll be nice.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

Yeah I'm thinking of returning this one tomorrow for the AT&T variant. The lack of these updates combined with the lack of VoLTE and Visual Voice-mail is making me rethink it a good bit.

Had I realized unlocked = crippled (on Verizon), I'd have never even considered it. In another thread around here somewhere, we were lamenting how much power Apple must have over the carriers, since its unlocked iPhones work the same no matter which carrier one has. Well, not really "lamenting" I guess - it's a good thing Apple doesn't let carriers dictate - but wishing Sammy had as much control.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Had I realized unlocked = crippled (on Verizon), I'd have never even considered it. In another thread around here somewhere, we were lamenting how much power Apple must have over the carriers, since its unlocked iPhones work the same no matter which carrier one has. Well, not really "lamenting" I guess - it's a good thing Apple doesn't let carriers dictate - but wishing Sammy had as much control.
I agree. Apple does have the market cornered on doing as they wish with their devices. I'm picking up my AT&T variant today during lunch.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Has anyone seen any of the security updates for their phones yet? Seems like the unlocked one should get things faster, not slower.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have the unlocked version on AT&T and HD Voice (voice over LTE) and video calling do not work. Also, still on the May security update. The software is different than what is on the AT&T version. Some new things and some missing. The unlocked version seems to get a better signal, faster wifi and better battery life. It is also faster in use. I sure wish AT&T would let us use VOLTE. What difference does it make to them -- we pay the same monthly rate as people using the AT&T version.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

AT&T visual voicemail works for me. No VoLTE, though.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

If I were to buy the Best Buy unlocked version will wifi calling with with Tmobile? I currently have an S7 so should my SIM card fit in the edge right? The Best Buy one is $749 compared to 789 from Tmobile. Would it be better to get the tmobile one or go the unlocked route?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

If I were to buy the Best Buy unlocked version will wifi calling with with Tmobile? I currently have an S7 so should my SIM card fit in the edge right? The Best Buy one is $749 compared to 789 from Tmobile. Would it be better to get the tmobile one or go the unlocked route?
Yes if you are using T-Mobile everything works fine on the unlocked US model. Wifi calling, VoLTE, band 12 etc. I'm using the G930U on T-Mobile and loving it other than still being on May update. If you are paying full price I personally would pick the unbranded/unlocked version over carrier version. Best buy also had the $75 gift card with purchase couple of weeks back not sure if it's still active.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostbytes