Question Unsolicited file sent to my Google Drive on my Android tablet

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
I've got a 3 year old Lenovo m8 tablet with Android 10 and Google Chrome. My app usage is very basic (preloaded Google apps, Skype, banks, VPN.)

Yesterday I received notification in the form of a triangle inside a triangle on the top left of my screen. The swipe down message says:
------------------

The triangle above is actually a triangle inside a triangle.

When I click on the swipe down message, it takes me to my Drive screen and shows the below document:

Aug 3,2023 Abbey not paid
Aug 11,2023 Chapel not paid
Aug 20, 2023 Chapel not paid
Sept 30, 2023 Seattle not paid
Oct 30, 2023 Ft. Lauderdale not paid
Dec 23, 2023 Boston not paid
--------------------

I clicked on the Drive document drop down menu and I clicked on "block johnDoe@gmail.com". I have no idea who this email address belongs to.

I also clicked on "remove" on the drop down menu, but the Drive document is still there.

Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited:

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Is the document still there, or is it just on the list as having been opened recently, and now acts like a broken link?
Have you changed your email /drive settings so this doesn't happen again?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It could very well be that the sender is legit and accidentally shared the file with you due to a typo. You could consider sending an email back to him and letting him know -- but just watch out for any kind of phishing attempt. Otherwise, you could just treat it like spam: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/13305033?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Android
On that note, do you want to be a dude and edit out that guy's email address.

To the OP my advice would be to ignore it. if it was sent in error, ignore it. if it's spam,, ignore it. if it's phishing, ignore it.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I think it's this setting. From Gmail /Settings /General Settings.
I'm on an older Android, it could be somewhere else.
I think there's also another setting synching gdrive.
Good luck
63763f91c398dfaf83adb2a8e603675f.jpg

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
Ok, I'll ignore it. Just wanted to be sure I don't need to do some type of virus, etc cleaning procedure on my tablet.

To the OP my advice would be to ignore it. if it was sent in error, ignore it. if it's spam,, ignore it. if it's phishing, ignore it.

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
It could very well be that the sender is legit and accidentally shared the file with you due to a typo. You could consider sending an email back to him and letting him know -- but just watch out for any kind of phishing attempt. Otherwise, you could just treat it like spam: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/13305033?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Android
Ok, I just sent "Derek" an email inquiring if it was an accident. I'll let you know if Derek replies.

My main concern is how could someone send something directly to my Drive. That seems very invasive to me, but I'm obviously not a computer tech type person.

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
Ok

Ok, as I replied to B Diddy: My main concern is how could someone send something directly to my Drive. That seems very invasive to me, but I'm obviously not a computer tech type person.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok

Ok, as I replied to B Diddy: My main concern is how could someone send something directly to my Drive. That seems very invasive to me, but I'm obviously not a computer tech type person.
Either totally by accident or by obtaining your email address from a list and sending it in order to try and scam you. Either way, my advice is to ignore it.

Lol

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
Good luck
As you suggested, I went to Gmail /Settings /General Settings, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting I do next so that people can't send something directly to my Drive

Good luck

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
Yes and no. The file isn't actually in your drive, it's just accessible from there. When somebody shares a file with you the file stays on their drive.

But yes, anyone with a Gmail account can share a drive file with you
Good info, thank you.

But I'd prefer if Google/Gmail asked me first if I want to accept or decline the file someone wants to share with me.

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
To: Methodman89...

Sorry, I'm still not seeing where I could change a setting so that
Google/Gmail would ask me first if I want to accept or decline a file someone wants to share with me....Or something like that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've got a 3 year old Lenovo m8 tablet with Android 10 and Google Chrome. My app usage is very basic (preloaded Google apps, Skype, banks, VPN.)

Yesterday I received notification in the form of a triangle inside a triangle on the top left of my screen. The swipe down message says:
------------------

The triangle above is actually a triangle inside a triangle.

When I click on the swipe down message, it takes me to my Drive screen and shows the below document:

Aug 3,2023 Abbey not paid
Aug 11,2023 Chapel not paid
Aug 20, 2023 Chapel not paid
Sept 30, 2023 Seattle not paid
Oct 30, 2023 Ft. Lauderdale not paid
Dec 23, 2023 Boston not paid
--------------------

I clicked on the Drive document drop down menu and I clicked on "block derekXXX@gmail.com". I have no idea who this email address belongs to.

I also clicked on "remove" on the drop down menu, but the Drive document is still there.

Please advise. Thank you.
The problem with using a device with older Android version and not getting security updates anymore is they don't get patched from latest threats out there and scammers try to thrive on Google drive over the years. Just have to be careful out there .

Reactions: methodman89

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok

This kind of thing can also happen with Google Calendar, if Event Settings are set to add invitations from anyone: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/13159188?sjid=2995091875783294333-NA

For Google Drive, the files will only show up in your Share list if you accept them. I don't think they actually take up space in your Drive, since they're from someone else. True, anyone can offer to share a file with you on Drive, but you won't see it unless you accept it.

You can block the address from sharing to your Google Drive this way: https://techwiser.com/stop-getting-spam-google-drive/

Reactions: J Dubbs

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
This kind of thing can also happen with Google Calendar, if Event Settings are set to add invitations from anyone: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/13159188?sjid=2995091875783294333-NA

For Google Drive, the files will only show up in your Share list if you accept them. I don't think they actually take up space in your Drive, since they're from someone else. True, anyone can offer to share a file with you on Drive, but you won't see it unless you accept it.

You can block the address from sharing to your Google Drive this way: https://techwiser.com/stop-getting-spam-google-drive/
B Diddy,

1) I looked at my event settings. It was already set to accept invitations only from people I know.

2) I never accepted the sharing of the file. I would have thought that I'd have an opportunity to Deny the receipt of a shared file.

3) I went to my Drive settings, etc, and clicked on Manage Access, I believe. It showed 3 names +/or email addresses, one of which was mine. I clicked on something like Deny Access regarding my email address.

Then, for the first time, the triangle within a triangle on the top left of my screen disappeared, as did the shared file in my Drive.

The above disappearances weren't my immediate intentions, but there's no going back since I'm no longer allowed access. The disappearances probably could only be a good thing, I would think.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter