Update Rooted phone?

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted my phone and now the new maintenance update has arrived. Is it ok to update my phone or do I have to unroot my phone? i am coming from an Iphone and I know i couldn't just update my phone without something bad happening.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
You should never do an OTA update unless the developer of your ROM says that it's alright. For example, with Vaelpak, you can do certain OTA updates, while with CyanogenMod lets say, you might not be able to.

In short the answer to your question is no, not usually. Something will get messed up.

On the bright side, like the BigRick showed... developers will implement the changes into their ROMs and update them so you can flash the new ones.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
You should never do an OTA update unless the developer of your ROM says that it's alright. For example, with Vaelpak, you can do certain OTA updates, while with CyanogenMod lets say, you might not be able to.

In short the answer to your question is no, not usually. Something will get messed up.

^^ This.

I accepted an OTA update when I first started rooting and my phone was unrooted because of it. The person that developes the ROM I use is usually quick with updating.

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
No i didnt. I used unrevoked. I have the same rom.

Check out this link to a video on how to flash a rom. Props to JerzyIroc who created the video. This is a very nice walkthrough on what you do. The basic steps you have to complete are to make sure you download the new rom you want to flash (flash just means install) to your SD card, make a nandroid backup (in case something goes wrong installing the new rom), clear the cache and reset (wipe) the phone, then install the new rom. I would offer that it's not any more work to install a custom rom than it is to install the new OTA version, and there are a number of really nice custom rom's out there that blow away the stock rom IMO. Good luck.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
After every OTA update comes out give it about 2 hours then check XDA for the rooted version it will be there

Dave

Last edited:

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
This may be a dumb question, but my phone is rooted with a custom ROM, can I just flash this or will it replace my current ROM?

You can flash it, but it will replace your current ROM. Make a nandroid backup before you do it so you can always go back to your current setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecoch