USB transfer - always need to change to allow file transfer

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When I plug in the USB cable, I would like to just open the phone "folder" on my computer and see the contents and use drag/drop to copy files one way or the other.

But I always have to drag down Notifications and select the USB Charging option to allow file transfer. Isn't there anyway to make this the default behavior rather than having to always re-initialize the transfer process.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there is, at least not in the standard UI. You could check your Developer Options to see if there's something there you can use.

This is the main reason why it's so hard to retrieve data from a phone with a damaged screen -- you can't see what's on internal storage via USB connection if you can't access the screen in order to change the connection option. I'm not sure why they do this, but perhaps it's for better security -- i.e., a random schmo wouldn't be able to swipe your phone and get its info via USB connection despite it being locked, because they'd have to unlock the screen first in order to change the USB connection option.

mark233

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
When I plug in the USB cable, I would like to just open the phone "folder" on my computer and see the contents and use drag/drop to copy files one way or the other.

But I always have to drag down Notifications and select the USB Charging option to allow file transfer. Isn't there anyway to make this the default behavior rather than having to always re-initialize the transfer process.
In Developer Options scroll to Default USB configuration. Choose File transfer / Android Auto.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
There is the option of installing link to Windows app on both the PC and on the phone. That way the PC always sees the phone and can transfer between the phone and the computer. Any photos in the main DCIM folder can be seen on the PC. You can also see notifications and messages from the phone on the PC. I use this app on my laptop and it is a wonderful feature with my 6 Pro. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter