Useless apps

stvsherrod

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So i am new to these phones all together so i have a couple quick questions.. I downloaded the Advanced Task Killer to try to stop the apps from running all the time and maybe have my battery last a little longer... Well, that works for a while but they always seem to re-open on thier own.. i have went to appications and "force stopped" a bunch of them.. is there a way to uninstall them? like sprint nav, amazon mp3, the nascar and football... i don't remember what they are but they are definitly stuff that i will never use.. if i could just wipe them off the phone that would be great.

on a side note.. is there any usefull apps that i should download besides the task killer and and lookout.. thanks

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I use Handcent for messaging, and maildroid for email.

As far as removing those apps the only way to do it is to root and run a ROM that let's you do that.

Reactions: stvsherrod

stvsherrod

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
that artical on "rooting" is what got me to this forum to begin with... I have to look into it alot more cause i still have no idea what it does... thanks

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Never ever use a take killer. If you root, jump to the hacks section. Lots of awesome stuff there. And we have lots of fun lol

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I haven't rooted my new phone, so ignore my signature for this post :) I don't have any unwanted apps running on my phone. How? All of those apps you listed have settings in them which enable you to disable them from automatically running. Go into each of those apps, hit menu, then settings. I'm not going to look and spell it out for you exactly, but just poke around in the settings menu and you'll find the options to disable them from running and/or updating automatically. I get great battery life without being rooted, and don't have useless apps running in the background.

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
From what I have read on this forum and others, Task Killers are not recommended by Android developers though Sprint sales people seem to always push them.

FROYO handles power management with the apps better than older versions of Android making Task Killers superfluous. Additionally, using Task Killers can cause more power drains as they can close programs that should be running which then puts the OS out of whack.

This is not to say that some programs are not power hogs and need to be stopped. Take Tango for instance, when it first came out it was a huge battery drain as it was running constantly in the background in apparently full mode. Most people uninstalled it until the developer fixed the problem.

The better developers do a good job of listening to complaints about their apps and take relatively quick action to fix any problems.

To make your battery last longer, follow the battery tips listed in this forum and others. Also turn off 4G when not in use. If all else fails then get an extended battery as even doing all of the power saving tips may not allow your battery to last for as long as you need it.

Doc

Reactions: Jerzyiroc

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
From what I have read on this forum and others, Task Killers are not recommended by Android developers though Sprint sales people seem to always push them.

FROYO handles power management with the apps better than older versions of Android making Task Killers superfluous. Additionally, using Task Killers can cause more power drains as they can close programs that should be running which then puts the OS out of whack.

This is not to say that some programs are not power hogs and need to be stopped. Take Tango for instance, when it first came out it was a huge battery drain as it was running constantly in the background in apparently full mode. Most people uninstalled it until the developer fixed the problem.

The better developers do a good job of listening to complaints about their apps and take relatively quick action to fix any problems.

To make your battery last longer, follow the battery tips listed in this forum and others. Also turn off 4G when not in use. If all else fails then get an extended battery as even doing all of the power saving tips may not allow your battery to last for as long as you need it.

Doc

Yes. As has been said time and time again, task killers only mask a problem, they don't fix it. Aside from bloatware, your phone is loading programs into memory because it remembers which ones you use most often. Keeping them in memory allows them to be opened almost instantly, as opposed to having to start them fresh every time.

Reactions: Jerzyiroc

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals39