Verizon keeps pushing OTA update...

Mikee73

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
first of all thanks to everyone for participating in this awesome forum.
I have rooted D Inc 2 and I am trying to avoid the latest OTA (as you know, it removes the root and locks the bootloader). So, first I kept deferring it (but you can only defer for 5 days), then I let my phone download the update and attempted to install (got error message, as expected), then I cleared regular and Dalvik cache, finally I changed otacerts.zip file name - no success... Every few days, the update starts automaticlaly, again and again... Anyone has an idea how to permanently disable OTA update, so we can stay rooted?

Mikee73

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks blkberryhosp, how about deleting (or moving to a folder in SD) com.smithmicro.DM through Root Explorer? Would it stop OTA?

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't know that moving or deleting it would stop if you look here or at xda I'm sure that some one has built a stock rom with the updates built in and all the bloat removed. The easiest way I know of is to go to a custom rom with the update scripts removed all together.

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Freezing definitely stopped the OTA update for me. However, it also prevents me from manually checking for an update. Which is OK for me since I did not want to lose root. I would rather wait for root to be available for 2.3.4 before updating.

I don't know what would happen if it was deleted. I have not tried it. And I don't think you can move it to SD card.

Custom ROMs might be another alternative.

skyboxer

May 11, 2011
Visit site
My wife's phone is running BAMF and it tried to update, as it's based off the stock rom and running sense. Renaming and freezing took care of it I think. I'm running cm7 so I think that stuff is in there to give me trouble.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

Mikee73

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for your help. Freezing com.smithmicro.DM1.0.0 definitely took care of it for me, but had to buy a full version of Titanium backup Pro (about $6). Now, both automatic and manual updates are blocked. Not sure whether renaming otacerts.zip also contributed, will try to rename it back to the original name. Let's hope we will get root for 2.3.4 soon, but for now, I think its a good idea to update our radio file, as the performance if definitely better. Even though I did not notice more "bars" and signal level (dB) in usual spots is same, seems like quality of voice is better and converstaions in low signal areas break up less frequently...

anon(415574)

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
So, stupid question?

I have mine rooted/s-off and have CWM installed. If I go back to stock 2.2.x and accept the GB update it'll relock the bootloader so I can't go back to CWM and play with it?

I ask as I am trying to sell my phone, so I put it back to stock, but I'd like to stay rooted and s-off as a precaution..

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
So, stupid question?

I have mine rooted/s-off and have CWM installed. If I go back to stock 2.2.x and accept the GB update it'll relock the bootloader so I can't go back to CWM and play with it?

I ask as I am trying to sell my phone, so I put it back to stock, but I'd like to stay rooted and s-off as a precaution..

If you want to ensure a chance to root in the future the OTA is bad news all over. I'm honestly not even sure if that OTA would install correctly because the HBOOT on your phone was originally 0.97, then Revolutionary installed it's own protected version over that.

I'm not certain whether the new OTA would just overwrite and install the 0.98 HBOOT (which would then leave you unrootable), or just fail outright. Either would be unfortunate.

So I would suggest just following the unrooting guide on this section of the forum which would then leave you with 2.3.3 and the 0.97 HBOOT, both of which are rootable, assuming they don't automatically push the OTA on you of course.

Last edited:

stander01976

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I've tried renaming the file and deleting it and neither works all the way - you keep getting notifications for the OTa update but install does not complete.

It looks like the script regenerates the file when it is not found. I'm new at this but it looks like this is what is happening. After some research, I plan to install a custom ROM but I don't want to worry about this in the interim.

Going to update to Pro and freeze the DM file. (I have three .bak versions on the phone that I renamed so the file has to be regenerating...)

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've tried renaming the file and deleting it and neither works all the way - you keep getting notifications for the OTa update but install does not complete.

It looks like the script regenerates the file when it is not found. I'm new at this but it looks like this is what is happening. After some research, I plan to install a custom ROM but I don't want to worry about this in the interim.

Going to update to Pro and freeze the DM file. (I have three .bak versions on the phone that I renamed so the file has to be regenerating...)

Yeah the full version of titanium is worth the price for the extra functionality, and you can make everything go away. If you are a fan of Sense and want to keep it rather than having a Vanilla ROM I suggest you check out MikRunny.