Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by $20 after November 15, 2015

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
On the nationwide plan, unlimited texting was $30 for the family plan, or $20 per line.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just popped in a Straight Talk AT&T SIM card to test out my signal strength. I am actually pulling in 4G LTE faster than Verizon for $45 a month.
I am using a Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon and an AT&T straight talk sim card. Goodbye Verizon
ef518d941ed3bf41bded0580ca1c5cf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
If you really want to make this increase not really affect you, Hangouts 5.0 now has full group messaging support along with MMS and basic SMS. People with Verizon UDP could do the Google Voice port loophole (if wanting to keep your existing number) and eventually drop your texting plan. This would save you up to $30. Not a lot, but every little bit counts.

Additionally, if you are willing to move to Google Voice full time, Verizon has a plan that you could switch to that costs $45 for 30 minutes of talk, pay per text, and unlimited data. This plan would increase to $65 with the new increase, but you would use VOIP and texting through Google Voice so only the data part would matter with the Verizon plan.

tim242

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Fast speed only gets you so far...5 GB on ST. You might want to check out their TOS...they forbid streaming of anything. They have canceled people for breaking the TOS.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Cricket doesn't have extra gigs. You are throttled down to EDGE after the 10 GB on that plan.
Yes it does. You can add it to your account when you need extra 4g lte.
I saw the option when i signed up today.
298667b56e8f1f6a01caf6764f73af50.jpg

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If you really want to make this increase not really affect you, Hangouts 5.0 now has full group messaging support along with MMS and basic SMS. People with Verizon UDP could do the Google Voice port loophole (if wanting to keep your existing number) and eventually drop your texting plan. This would save you up to $30. Not a lot, but every little bit counts.

Additionally, if you are willing to move to Google Voice full time, Verizon has a plan that you could switch to that costs $45 for 30 minutes of talk, pay per text, and unlimited data. This plan would increase to $65 with the new increase, but you would use VOIP and texting through Google Voice so only the data part would matter with the Verizon plan.

I'm on America's Choice 450. That was the lowest advertised calling tier $40 (no text). I know there were lower unadvertised tiers. I contacted VZW corporate. They told me I can keep exactly what I have or switch to the new Verizon Plan.

America's Choice was discontinued in 2008 . . .

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Fast speed only gets you so far...5 GB on ST. You might want to check out their TOS...they forbid streaming of anything. They have canceled people for breaking the TOS.
Yeah, that is why I went with the $55 10gb plan on Cricket. Both run on AT&T towers, so I should get similar speeds . My wife is on ST, so I tested with her sim. I thought I would only get H+ on gsm. Surprised I had a stronger LTE signal than Verizon.

uvarules

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Also Verizon allows you to use unlimited data on a 4GLTE broadband router, 4GLTE jetpack, 4GLTE tablet, and you can officially use 4GLTE unlimited tethering with the addon. As I have one line with a 4GLTE broadband router, 2 jetpacks, and 2 smartphones with unlimited tethering, tmobile or other usa carriers won't work for me... At least not with unlimited data.

So Mod, can you tell me how your worked the router/jetpack 4G LTE? I'm UDP 4G LTE on all my phones and UDP hotpsot/tether on one that I use when I have larger downloads. 3G USB that I use in a Cradlepoint MBR95, but I've never seen a way to replace that 3G USB with a 4G LTE USB on Verizon without the VZ Website telling me I need to change my entire data plan. I'll pay full price for the new modem, but even that didn't help...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So Mod, can you tell me how your worked the router/jetpack 4G LTE? I'm UDP 4G LTE on all my phones and UDP hotpsot/tether on one that I use when I have larger downloads. 3G USB that I use in a Cradlepoint MBR95, but I've never seen a way to replace that 3G USB with a 4G LTE USB on Verizon without the VZ Website telling me I need to change my entire data plan. I'll pay full price for the new modem, but even that didn't help...

I believe that Verizon didn't allow 3g unlimited modems to go to 4glte unlimited. What you need to do is to use your 4GLTE unlimited data smartphone sim and put it into a 4GLTE broadband router or 4GLTE hotspot or 4GLTE modem or whatever.

Verizon isn't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, it is due to the 700MHz auction rules, and Verizon is doing the absolute minimum to follow the open devices requirement.

Also Verizon didn't let me buy it postpaid even at full retail, I had to buy the netgear ac791l prepaid. If you want an older device then you can also get them in eBay. But the ac791l is the only one with lte-a and carrier aggregation and supports a desktop dock with ethernet out. If you only need ethernet out then there are other options.

On my old 4GLTE broadband router, I was able to buy that through the iconic portal and buy the device only... But it looks like Verizon closed that loophole

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I thought. No one would pay that now. The new plans are unlimited talk and text.
No doubt, when these plans came out, data usage was very low, which is why Verizon eliminated the tiered data plan and REQUIRED all smartphones to use UNLIMITED DATA. Not out of the goodness of their hearts but because it made them the most money overall.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
No doubt, when these plans came out, data usage was very low, which is why Verizon eliminated the tiered data plan and REQUIRED all smartphones to use UNLIMITED DATA. Not out of the goodness of their hearts but because it made them the most money overall.

This is true! When I got my UDP for my business, charging for the data for VZ was an after thought.

They wanted my VOICE business so I have a Nationwide UNLIMITED Voice for seventy bucks... which for me was what I wanted because of all the calling being done.

VZ will do anything to the customer to MAKE THEM PAY for whatever is REALLY needed.

In many respects the cellular companies have become THE BABY BELLS of this generation.

They're monopolistic and you've got to watch your bills and plans and now equipment purchases very closely.

Just so you know... my first cellular plan was ONLY THIRTY MINUTES FOR FIFTY BUCKS. McCaw Cellular... which became ATT Cellular.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused about whether we can still get a Verizon phone subsidy if we switch to a new Verizon Plan

Best Buy has this page showing subsidies for signing a 2-year contract, e.g., a 32 GB Samsung Galaxy Note 5 for $250.

Verizon Wireless shows no subsidies under their "Shop - Phones & Devices" tab.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused about whether we can still get a Verizon phone subsidy if we switch to a new Verizon Plan

Best Buy has this page showing subsidies for signing a 2-year contract, e.g., a 32 GB Samsung Galaxy Note 5 for $250.

Verizon Wireless shows no subsidies under their "Shop - Phones & Devices" tab.
You need to log into your account.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
You need to log into your account.

Yes, I can confirm this. When I log into my account, and click on upgrade from my device, it gives me an option to upgrade with 2 year contract and it gives me the discount pricing

Posted via the Android Central App

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Exactly.
They made me take an unlimited plan and they didn't offer the lower priced web plans on smartphones.
They told me using WiFi would kill the always connected experience.
This was before 3G was really deployed and I had a windows smartphone.
They made me take a $30 unlimited plan I didn't need.

Verizon is about the money and they will bend you over for whatever service can make money.
Texting was free initially, and voice was expensive.
Then texting became expensive and voice was free. Mind you texting costs them nothing inside the network because the must have the idle channel that is used to stuff the data. They wanted $.5-10/text.
Then when kids discovered that they could use messaging via Yahoo, Google, etc. then data became the thing they really want to monetize.

So now that they have everybody hooked on streaming and everything else like a crack dealer, they want to charge more.
Data and the costs of service should be going down. We are the only industrialized nation where the cost of the internet and connectivity is actually going up.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Same problem with subscription TV. The television providers are also the internet providers. Cut your TV subscription for streaming service; they raise internet access fees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord