Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by $20 after November 15, 2015

Piggy winks

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
well, seems I can upgrade... plugged in my account info to see, and this is what I get. I didn't add it to my cart, and canceled out.

contract.JPG

That would mean I have to stay with Verizon, which I don't know if I want to do for another 2 yrs. I'd probably get the Apple 6S, sell it and get my Moto X PE. but then would have to upgrade my 2nd feature phone line and give the wife my current Moto XDE, but still have to pay the access fee and additional data, which VZW said would then come out to be about $140 (i pay $108 now) minus the phone.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Yikes. Not only am I eligible for a subsidy, they want to give me $100 for a 4-year old LG Revolution!

I chickened out on proceeding further. This subsidy seems like a bonus for giving up unlimited. Funny how the various news stories about the price rise on unlimited data plans never mentioned a subsidy, but only said that Verizon was offering the ability to purchase a new phone on an installment plan.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I just did some quick research of current plan offerings from the big three (I didn't look at Sprint) and MVNOs Page Plus (Verizon towers), Cricket (AT&T towers) and Project Fi (T-Mobile and Sprint Towers, and wi-fi calling):
- for a single smartphone (I was surprised by the AT&T $40 device charge.)
- for plans that offer unlimited voice and text.
- not including all the VZW tiers above 18 GB (they even offer a 100GB plan for a mere $750).
- only reporting 4G LTE limits. (some plans throttle at the limits, other plans automatically add charges for more 4G).

AT&T offers rollover data for one month.

T-Mobile offers rollover data for one 12 months for their 3GB and 5GB plans.
T-Mobile unlimited data plan allows 7 GB of hotspot data, and includes some kind of Rhapsody music ("Rhapsody unRadio").
T-Mobile plans offer free streaming music ("Music Freedom") without using data, when on their network from select music providers (Pandora and iHeart Radio were given as examples).

Cricket offers a $5 discount for signing up for Auto Pay, which I applied.
Cricket offers Group Save Discounts for additional lines: $10 off 2nd line, $20 off 3rd line, up to $40 off the 5th line.

Project Fi has a $20 base charge for unlimited talk and text, plus a $10/GB data charge, with a credit applied for any unused data.

VZWAT&TT-MobilePage PlusCricketProj. Fi
1GB$50$50$30
1.5GB$40
2GB$70$40
2.5GB$35
3GB$65$60$50
5GB$100$70$55$45$70
6GB$80$80
7GB$70$90
10GB$55$120
12GB$100$140
15GB$140$170
18GB$120$200
Unlimited$80

I'm sorry but I think your numbers are a little off according to this website: Family Plans - Mobile Share Data Plans - AT&T

AT&T charges $40 for access to the plan from a smart phone if you are signing a 2 year contract and taking the subsidy (VZW is the same). If you are bringing your own device or on AT&T Next they charge you $15 (Verizon is $20).

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm on America's Choice 450. That was the lowest advertised calling tier $40 (no text). I know there were lower unadvertised tiers. I contacted VZW corporate. They told me I can keep exactly what I have or switch to the new Verizon Plan.

America's Choice was discontinued in 2008 . . .

Yeah, you need to be on a Nationwide plan as that is what I'm talking about. America's Choice I think was right before it.

rogue5

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Just when i finally bought a new phone off contract, this just had to happen:( This pretty much erase my discount that i have with them. I might have to move to Tmobile if this gets too pricey for me.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but I think your numbers are a little off according to this website: Family Plans - Mobile Share Data Plans - AT&T

AT&T charges $40 for access to the plan from a smart phone if you are signing a 2 year contract and taking the subsidy (VZW is the same). If you are bringing your own device or on AT&T Next they charge you $15 (Verizon is $20).

Thanks. My quick survey of plan offerings used a different page, apparently listing only on-contract device charges.

I really haven't followed cell phone plans much because I was dumb and happy with the UDP. You pointing out that both AT&T and Verizon do this made me investigate more carefully. I enjoyed a few hours today of incorrectly thinking that a phone subsidy, which we could possibly get if we went off UDP and onto another plan, was some kind of lucky bonus. Instead, it's just give and take: they give a phone subsidy for signing a 2-year contract, and they take a higher monthly device charge to make up for the subsidy. No free lunch.

Over the life of that 2-year contract, in order to get that phone subsidy, you've paid an extra:
- $480 on Verizon ($20 more/mo.)
- $360 on AT&T 5GB or less plan ($15 more/mo.)
- $600 on AT&T 15GB or more plan ($25 more/mo.)

The table has been corrected to reflect what you said (VZW charges a straight $20 more of a device charge for on-contract customers). Thanks again.

Versed

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon to raise the price of unlimited data by $20 in November

Just keep on eye on Fi's pricing, there are better deals to be had. Fi has its use if one leaves the country a few times a year. Otherwise, modify you VZW plan or check out T-Mobile, Cricket etc... They are also limited to Nexus 6 and newer Nexus phones.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm baffled. My wife and I are on Nationwide 500 plan. I am the admin. My line is UDP and not under contract but she is in MY Nationwide 500 plan and has a 2 year contract on subsidized iphone with only 1 gig per month.

I inquired about switching to a newer plan cuz despite udp I never use 10 gb and she never even uses one however I was told if I do that she would have to pay back the money she saved on the subsidized phone cuz all new plans are full priced with phone paid for in monthly installments. I have no need of monthly installments. I would just as soon pay up front.

So my wife is in same NW 500 plan as I yet my bill will go up 20 month even though we are stuck in this plan until her 2 years are up?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you went with the Verizon plan then you would have to pay $20 surcharge for the line on contract for the remainder of the contract.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

forgiventhief

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon to raise the price of unlimited data by $20 in November

My upgrade date is October 21...im planning to use bestbuy method once again.... Do we have until November 15 to upgrade using bestbuy method to avoid the 20 dollars increase???

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
What is the Best Buy method please? What do you get, and what are the steps.

Thanks.

mwara244

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has said it will not raise ULD plans if the Holder works for the Government, or Government jobs, I read.

Was curious as well, as my family plan owner has a Government job as well.

bulabula

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
No, you read it wrong. If your account is associated with a govt or corporate contract you are protected from the price hike. If you are a government worker collecting a 15% discount and it's a private line you will be charged an extra $20

Sent from either my Nexus 5/6/7

gimpy1

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I am on a government plan and the plan is changing at the end of the month. We are losing a lot of our extras, including unlimited data, when we upgrade it change or plan.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm baffled. My wife and I are on Nationwide 500 plan. I am the admin. My line is UDP and not under contract but she is in MY Nationwide 500 plan and has a 2 year contract on subsidized iphone with only 1 gig per month.

I inquired about switching to a newer plan cuz despite udp I never use 10 gb and she never even uses one however I was told if I do that she would have to pay back the money she saved on the subsidized phone cuz all new plans are full priced with phone paid for in monthly installments. I have no need of monthly installments. I would just as soon pay up front.

So my wife is in same NW 500 plan as I yet my bill will go up 20 month even though we are stuck in this plan until her 2 years are up?

The rep you spoke to was wrong in some ways and right in others. Basically, it works this way:

1.) 12 GB would be $80 a month for the plan with unlimited talk and text
2.) Since your line is out of contract, the line access fee would be $20
3.) Since your wife's line is in contract, Verizon charges an extra $20 to the line access fee for the remainder of the contract. So, her line access would be $40 until the contract expires.

So, for the 12 GB plan, it would be $80 + $20 + $40 = $140 before taxes. This plan would go down to $120 after your wife's contract expires. See question 6 at The Verizon Plan FAQs | Verizon Wireless to explain the issue with your wife's line.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I would just love it if for once all the loyal Verizon customers, If you have unlimited data it means you have not left Verizon for a while, would stick it to them. I say the first day the news comes out we turn of our wifi and stream movies all day. That would really show them how much data we could use, but don't.

#stickittothem #greedyverizon #leavemyudp

Ever since this story broke on Sunday and confirmed on Monday, I've left my phone on 4G virtually all the time, and have not switched to the WiFi throughout my house.

My 4G signal strength is very good, not as great as the WiFi, but fast enough... I came to the realization that why should I 'save' Verizon any bandwidth when in fact I'm paying for my UDP, and while VZ would prefer to have me move from my plan, to a tiered one...

They've NOT made me a single 'counter-offer' (when I've asked) regarding equipment, accessories or anything at a discount... to switch to a tiered one from the UDP!

So there... I'm one of the UDP's who's leaving on their 4G... virtually all the time.

Hey VZ... watch my data usage jump! ;)

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Exactly.
They made me take an unlimited plan and they didn't offer the lower priced web plans on smartphones.
They told me using WiFi would kill the always connected experience.
This was before 3G was really deployed and I had a windows smartphone.
They made me take a $30 unlimited plan I didn't need.

Verizon is about the money and they will bend you over for whatever service can make money.
Texting was free initially, and voice was expensive.
Then texting became expensive and voice was free. Mind you texting costs them nothing inside the network because the must have the idle channel that is used to stuff the data. They wanted $.5-10/text.
Then when kids discovered that they could use messaging via Yahoo, Google, etc. then data became the thing they really want to monetize.

So now that they have everybody hooked on streaming and everything else like a crack dealer, they want to charge more.
Data and the costs of service should be going down. We are the only industrialized nation where the cost of the internet and connectivity is actually going up.

THEY don't make you take anything.

You choose to take what they (a business) are offering.

You needn't use their service. Once you make your choice you have to pay for the service.

Hangouts will let you completely stop using any mobile carrier if you want.

Your angry comments are not helpful or constructive to other users.

Posted via the Android Central App

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
He may be a bit off on the first paragraph but the rest of what he said is spot on. They are definitely taking advantage of what people are using more of to increase profit margins. However, they are a for profit business and last time I checked they weren't the red cross. Even if I hate the fact that they area doing this I understand why and as you stated they aren't forcing me to stay here which is why i will be moving to AT&T as soon as I can figure out the logistics of it (I have an 82 year old Aunt that lives 1000 miles away that has a line I pay for on my plan so it makes things a little more difficult).

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If there were more competition in the wireless market, I would agree. The high barriers to entry make effective competition impractical.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claudio1986saavedra