Verizon S20 Ultra Updates? What's the deal?

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Last time I'll buy an Android phone from a carrier. The way things are going, the July update will be out for unlocked variants while Verizon is still on the April update. It really does feel like the Samsung S20 has been completely abandoned by Verizon.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
The only good thing about the iPhone is updates are always fast and furious with no carrier bloatware on them. You'll never see a Verizon splash screen when starting up your iPhone.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Last time I'll buy an Android phone from a carrier. The way things are going, the July update will be out for unlocked variants while Verizon is still on the April update. It really does feel like the Samsung S20 has been completely abandoned by Verizon.

This is normal for all Samsung phones with carriers. After a few months the carriers don't give a crap about them anymore.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I believe there was a time that Samsung was worse with releasing updates to their own unlocked phones than the carriers. :confused:

It's a mixed bag with Samsung and varies between models. One thing is for certain, they really don't care about supporting a product after it's launched. Only if there is a glitch like the autofocus on the Ultras and then they'll work on it because it has enough attention that they have to for the next year.

Then they push push out their 2 OS updates and then their 3 years of monthly security updates to show they care... and then go quarterly on ya.

All the while Apple just announced... the iPhone 6S... that was released in 2015 wth iOS 9... will get iOS 14 when it's released later this year... Which basically means six years support. :eek:

One question I have been having recently about Samsung OS support... The Note 20+ will be released in a couple of months with Android 10... probably just a matter of a couple of weeks before Android 11. Because Samsung is so late after Android releases OS updates... they are going to count Android 11 as one of our two OS updates and then Android 12 a year later and that's it. We will miss out on Android 13 because 11 was released two weeks after the 20 was. To me... Just doesn't seem right lol.

This is normal for all Samsung phones with carriers. After a few months the carriers don't give a crap about them anymore.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I believe there was a time that Samsung was worse with releasing updates to their own unlocked phones than the carriers. :confused:

It's a mixed bag with Samsung and varies between models. One thing is for certain, they really don't care about supporting a product after it's launched. Only if there is a glitch like the autofocus on the Ultras and then they'll work on it because it has enough attention that they have to for the next year.

Then they push push out their 2 OS updates and then their 3 years of monthly security updates to show they care... and then go quarterly on ya.

All the while Apple just announced... the iPhone 6S... that was released in 2015 wth iOS 9... will get iOS 14 when it's released later this year... Which basically means six years support. :eek:

One question I have been having recently about Samsung OS support... The Note 20+ will be released in a couple of months with Android 10... probably just a matter of a couple of weeks before Android 11. Because Samsung is so late after Android releases OS updates... they are going to count Android 11 as one of our two OS updates and then Android 12 a year later and that's it. We will miss out on Android 13 because 11 was released two weeks after the 20 was. To me... Just doesn't seem right lol.
Yeah. That socks. And you will have to wait until 2021 to get the update to Android R while my 2017 pixel 2XL is running it right now.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
There has been several updates lately but nothing for Verizon branded phones. This is starting the suck real bad.

Verizon has to make sure all the features they stripped out of the Samsung phones remain gone :(

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There has been several updates lately but nothing for Verizon branded phones. This is starting the suck real bad.

Verizon has to make sure all the features they stripped out of the Samsung phones remain gone :(
The last Verizon branded device I had was the S10+. Once I discovered that Samsung's Find My Mobile couldn't be used I went unlocked. Unlocked on Verizon works with WiFi calling and Volte so its good enough for me and fast updates.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
While I personally never get carrier models it's just sad the state of Android phones because of the crappy carriers. I wish Samsung and everyone else can be like Apple and say carriers to just f off.

LPRodgers

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
just Odin flashed the ATEC update on my vzw s20 ultra, seems to have all the camera fixes and the phone works real well now....screw Verizon it literally only took me 15 minutes to download and update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMY2024