Verizon via Ars Technica - updates will not be delayed

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Just that you have to activate it on a Verizon account. If doing payments it's a new line or upgrade, if paying outright still requires activation then you can move it out.

So if I pay full price at Bestbuy.com, get it shipped to me, I can't just put my t-mobile sim in and boot up and avoid Verizon altogether?

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
It was already confirmed shortly after Google's announcement that security updates will come direct from Google. This is confirming what was unknown at the time, that major system updates won't be delayed.

ggendel

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Could not agree more.
I'd take it with a ton of salt. Verizon has broken promises so many times in the 11+ years I've been with them that I lost count. If you make an FCC complaint, they will tell you one thing in a phone call but send a completely different story to the FCC. I assume they do the same thing with the press to make good PR. I've asked them to email me what they said so I can have it documented but they always refuse.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I'd take it with a ton of salt. Verizon has broken promises so many times in the 11+ years I've been with them that I lost count. If you make an FCC complaint, they will tell you one thing in a phone call but send a completely different story to the FCC. I assume they do the same thing with the press to make good PR. I've asked them to email me what they said so I can have it documented but they always refuse.

I have had VZW for over 10 years too - I never worried about updates/bloatware because I didn't know there was another option. Now that I am a wee bit smarter, I take these things into consideration. It is going to take a while to see how true VZW is to their word.

prking0905

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I am with Verizon but I would never buy a phone thru them if it is available on the Play Store, regardless of how "little" they say the bloatware is. Also, I wont believe they will not delay the updates until I see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov