Verizon XOOM gets ICS next week!

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Saw the frickin Sony Tablet is getting its update to ICS, where the hell is this update Verizon?

Sent from my Epic Android Phone w/ Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Sites are saying testing is done and we are waiting on Google to make it so. Verizon is not to blame for this one? Amazing...

TJH

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had ICS on my wifi Xoom for months. It will be nice to get it on the 4G Xoom too!

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sadly when the WiFi Xoom got updated to ICS I said that we'd not likely see the 4G version any time soon. People told me I was crazy because it was a GED and Google controlled the update. blah blah blah. Well, Verizon still had to approve it, and that was my big concern. I'm SO glad I didn't wait around for the official update before I jumped to ICS on my Xoom 4G. Otherwise I'd have missed out on several MONTHS of ICS fun. This same delay pattern is happening on MANY Verizon devices and it's simply not acceptable. I fully believe the update for the Xoom 4G was done within a week or two of the WiFI Xoom but we've been waiting all this time for Verizon. I hope this gets released soon for those who are still waiting for an official update, but, I'd really not hold my breath. The people who are skeptical obviously know Verizon well. ;)

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If leaks can be believed, there's more to the story than just Verizon. Supposedly, Verizon has approved the update, so possibly Google also enjoys Verizon's reputation for delayed updates as a means to slough off their share of the blame.

That wouldn't shock me, tbh. But, they certainly got all the non-Verizon devices updated pretty quickly. So, I honestly feel the blame falls mostly on Verizon. Maybe I'm wrong, but, it seems like a clear pattern that most non-Verizon devices are seeing updates and pretty much all the Verizon devices are "delayed". God knows when my bionic will see it. Supposedly it's in testing. BAHAHAH. Sure it is. :) Honestly, though, I do feel bad for those who've been waiting for the official Xoom 4G update. I figured it'd be delayed, but, not this long. This is nuts.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
They got all the non-LTE devices updated pretty quickly and continue to. Look at the Galaxy S2. I think everything from the Galaxy Nexus launch forward might indicate that Google has trouble dealing with LTE devices.

Hmm, actually, that's a fair point. I didn't consider that it was the LTE devices having issues, which, sadly, are all Verizon. Ok, I concede that is definitely possible. :)

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
If you guys are willing to put a little work into your xoom, run the ICS update I put up and that is stickied. It's really quite easy to get through, and there are tons of updates since the ICS that I put up there originally. I'm getting an update about every 4 days or so from TEAM EOS. They are making it smoother and smoother ... then a little mess up... but then smoother again, and smoother. I am totally loving my xoom on ICS with the Root and Rom that I have, and the updates and the ability I have to goof around with it. I suggest you look into it at least.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been running team eos since January and love it. I'd never go back to hc at this point.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If you guys are willing to put a little work into your xoom, run the ICS update I put up and that is stickied. It's really quite easy to get through, and there are tons of updates since the ICS that I put up there originally. I'm getting an update about every 4 days or so from TEAM EOS. They are making it smoother and smoother ... then a little mess up... but then smoother again, and smoother. I am totally loving my xoom on ICS with the Root and Rom that I have, and the updates and the ability I have to goof around with it. I suggest you look into it at least.

BasPilot,

How do the updates come out? Are they like the updates for Apps, or do you have to run through entire set up again?

Sorry for dumb question, but I just have never rooted before, so I do not know the process after the root is complete.

I have been debating this, but there are so many options of root, one just does not know where to go, and again, after root, how do updates work?

Thanks

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Team EOS is on goomanager. So basically when they release a new version, we get a goomanager popup like any other system notification telling us an update is available for our ROM. It downloads it, we reboot into recovery, wipe the cache, and install the ROM + GAPPS. I've not done a full wipe since I installed it in January. Although, I probably should clean out the cobwebs at some point. Generally, though, you don't have to do a full wipe once you're on the ROM.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
As BasPilot said, it's just "a little work." It's so easy people. Seriously. He wrote the instructions so simply a child could do it.

I'm running the Eos Cornerstone build. It's awesome and the soon to be released offical OTA of ICS won't hold a candle to it.

To see what you are missing, and will still be missing even after ICS is officially released for the 4G tablet, take a look at this guy's video review.
Cornerstone - Running on Ice Cream Sandwich! - YouTube

Last edited:

ammarmon

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm tired of waiting so I'm considering rooting and installing ICS which I love on my GNex.

My issue is I never sent my Xoom in to have the LTE upgrade. (I've been meaning to do it but life has gotten in the way. Everywhere I go I have fast wifi). Since I haven't done it and these builds are for the LTE equipped Xoom will it even work?

Pace Racing

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the great post about how to upgrade to ICS manually. What I'm trying to figure out is if the ICS update from Verizon is close enough that I don't have to. I've waited this long, waiting a bit longer isn't that big of a deal.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with that. Supposedly it's "ready" and waiting for VZW to flip the switch. Of course, it's been like that for weeks, supposedly. So, no one's going to be able to give you an answer on that. Other than, yes, at some point, it will get upgraded. Hopefully.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You can wait for it, but you'll still miss out on features included in ROMs that won't be included in an official OTA. Cornerstone is one huge example.

And then Jelly Bean will be released. IMHO the original XOOM will still have enough sway with devs for them to make Jelly Bean ROMs for it.

Will there be an official OTA for Jelly Bean in the 4G XOOM's future? I sincerely doubt it.

The question is "Root now or root later?" I'm running ICS with Cornerstone and clocking at 1.5GHz. It's incredibly smooth and I don't see any need for another tablet at this point. Battery power is good for about 8 hours at 1.5GHz, 60%-70% brightness and my normal applications running. I slow it down when I take a flight and get about 10 hours.

We have three of them. At this point I think the XOOMs will perform well enough for two full years (until about March 2013) before we see any reason to move on. That's a year more than I anticipated.

Pace Racing

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE...I called VZ and asked if they had any info about the ICS update. The customer service girl didn't even know what it was, but when I checked w/ Tech support, they told me that the official update started rolling out on May 10th, and would be available to anyone who forces an update on their device 10 days afer, so we should be able to get ICS on May 20th. Fingers crossed!:D

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74