Video recording fps drop explanation

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I think I figured out why the video looks choppy in low light settings. I was watching a clip on YouTube of the S3 video recording by FlossyCarter. I discovered that the S3 has a huge response lag when compensating for lighting changes. I think that's why the frame rate doesn't change that much thus giving smoother recording.

I watched the same clip (identical settings) with the EVO and it compensated instantly but you noticed the fps drop.

At first I thought the ISO was being adjusted dynamically using spot metering, but now I think the exposure is what's being adjusted. To test this theory I did the following:

1. Adjust the exposure on the camera app to +2 and record a video. I saw a very low frame rate and severe blurring when panning.

2. Adjust the exposure on the camera app to -2 and record a video. Now I saw the frame rate remaining mostly steady and less blurring when panning.

This is while recording indoors. So I think the main culprit is the ability to record video using a high exposure value. I don't know if increasing the bit rate can remedy this or if software optimization can give the best of both worlds (instant exposure adjustment and constant frame rate)

Sorry in advance if I used wrong terminology, but I'm curious of anyone else sees the same thing and has a different opinion.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao