VZW Network Issues

BigSwoe

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm on CR 1.3. Been just fine for a long time. Today I cannot get network access. I can sometimes get an email but nothing in browser, etc.

Anyone else having network problems? Not sure whether it is my Fassy or VZW.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What steps have you taken to try and fix the issue? If you've done everything you know to do, I would say it's a Verizon issue.

BigSwoe

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Just to close out this thread and perhaps help someone else:

Tried all sorts of different modem, rom and kernels. Even full stock with the Froyo OTA (very painful) update. Verizon is sending another FC.

They are perplexed 'surprise!'. They don't know how I am able to get phone calls and texts but no data. When the tech checked by connections they see very rapid changes from 1x to 3G to nothing. As I told them, that would explain my inability to get data access :p

ITF36059

Dis-Member
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm on CR 1.3. Been just fine for a long time. Today I cannot get network access. I can sometimes get an email but nothing in browser, etc.

Anyone else having network problems? Not sure whether it is my Fassy or VZW.

I experienced something very similar to this a couple of weeks ago. I had yo-yo net for three days...
There is some discussion on this in here somewhere, might be the ComROM 1.3 thread. You might have to search this forum for additional info. Anyway, they talked of an ESN swap that solves the problem. You have to call Verizion any ask technical support to try an Electronic Serial Number (ESN) swap. This worked me.

BTW I am running ComROM 1.3 also....Perhap that clever Shark will swim by and chime in.

Mike

Reactions: BigSwoe

TCStehle

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I experienced something very similar to this a couple of weeks ago. I had yo-yo net for three days...
There is some discussion on this in here somewhere, might be the ComROM 1.3 thread. You might have to search this forum for additional info. Anyway, they talked of an ESN swap that solves the problem. You have to call Verizion any ask technical support to try an Electronic Serial Number (ESN) swap. This worked me.

BTW I am running ComROM 1.3 also....Perhap that clever Shark will swim by and chime in.

Mike
Depending on the level of tech support you get they may not want to do the ESN swap because they're sure "it won't make a difference". I had the same 3G issues with it cutting in and out and eventually going away completely. I did the ESN swap myself using my old Omnia i910.

If you have an old smart phone you can logon to your Verizon account and reactivate the old phone which accomplishes the ESN swap. It was interesting messing around with the old Omnia for 15 minutes of so realizing how far things have advanced in just 3 years. My old Omnia was running a custom ROM of WP6.5 and for it's day it was cutting edge. So much for memory lane.

After you activate the old phone and do the *228-1 thing and verify it's working go back and reactivate the Fascinate and do the *228 -1 and -2 thing. You should have your 3G back on the Fascinate. I've had to do this twice, once on ComRom 1.3 and again just this week on ComRom 2.1 OTB1.5

Reactions: BigSwoe

BigSwoe

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Depending on the level of tech support you get they may not want to do the ESN swap because they're sure "it won't make a difference". I had the same 3G issues with it cutting in and out and eventually going away completely. I did the ESN swap myself using my old Omnia i910.

If you have an old smart phone you can logon to your Verizon account and reactivate the old phone which accomplishes the ESN swap. It was interesting messing around with the old Omnia for 15 minutes of so realizing how far things have advanced in just 3 years. My old Omnia was running a custom ROM of WP6.5 and for it's day it was cutting edge. So much for memory lane.

After you activate the old phone and do the *228-1 thing and verify it's working go back and reactivate the Fascinate and do the *228 -1 and -2 thing. You should have your 3G back on the Fascinate. I've had to do this twice, once on ComRom 1.3 and again just this week on ComRom 2.1 OTB1.5

Goid idea. I have a replacement on the way so can't hurt anything to try. Makes you wonder about the root cause. I thought for sure it was the ED04 modem as that was my latest change (couple weeks ago) but that proved to not be the case. I don't have another smartphone, I have an old Blackberry. Hopefully it won't matter since it will only be active for a short time.

TCStehle

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Let us know how the ESN swap goes on your old Fascinate. I'm pretty sure it will get your 3G data back. I'm currently running the EC09 modem from the GB leak and I will say it's improved my signal strength and missed call issues. My missing 3G problem this week was before I flashed the EC09 modem and was still running the ED04 modem.

ITF36059

Dis-Member
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

The tech swapped mine with an old samsung dumb phone I used to have.

Another Round Fired from Tapatalk

TCStehle

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
The tech swapped mine with an old samsung dumb phone I used to have.

Another Round Fired from Tapatalk
Yep. I doubt the full activation of a smart or dumb phone is critical path in this case. I just did it to mess around with the Omnia for a bit. I think the key is in reactivation of the Fascinate after it's be deactivated from the Verizon network.

nici1970

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Same thing...but

I had the same issue with the 3g going from 1x to 3g-d then nothing.............but what happened next was truly odd. The 3g icon would disappear completely then pop back up but it was ver sluggish if it connected at all! It was if it was never there. I went back to stock froyo same thing. Verizon had me do the esn swap stuff and I had already done a factory reset once back to froyo so they overnighted me a new fascinate......Im on my 3rd one thus far.....the original one I purchased allowed me to do updates until I got to froyo, then it would not do over the air updates, second one was the disappearing 3g icon, and I just cant wait to see what if anything happens with this one. Regardless of what happens with this one, I will always love my fascinate.....

adjangs

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I could not connect to 3g at all for a few days last week. I was too busy to try to fix it, but it started working on its own and has been fine ever since.