Was it worth the upgrade

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
You get a slightly better (brighter) screen, minus the hideous notch of course. But you lose a few things like LED notification, the ability to select 60pfs video, and the audio quality on recorded videos is sub par compared to the 2 xl and other flagships. Like others, if you want the latest and $$ is no issue then upgrade. If not, your not losing much staying with the pixel 2

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Wasn't worth it for me. After three Pixel 2 devices all with similar issues to varying degrees I had to try something else. So far other than camera the OnePlus 6T has been better in every other way and I got a screen bigger than the 3XL and saved a few hundred while also selling my Pixel 2 for more than I could get on any trade in deal. As for the camera, it's more than adequate.

We know you don't feel it's worth it, but the OP was actually looking for feedback from people who upgraded and made that determination. Not only did you not upgrade, you ditched your Pixel 2 for something different.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
We know you don't feel it's worth it, but the OP was actually looking for feedback from people who upgraded and made that determination. Not only did you not upgrade, you ditched your Pixel 2 for something different.
Ok, fine.
6d5c9f0f2c54608d9a4802cd8510d0c9.gif

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I had a Note 8, shattered two screens even with a case and screen protector and went back to my iPhone 7 Plus. Ordered the P3XL from Project Fi, can’t wait for it to come in.

baldypal

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I got the Pixel 3, I had Pixel 2, it's definitely worth the upgrade. Hardware, overall feel, and wireless charging. 3 big reasons to upgrade. The glass is very nice. It is slippery but I haven't dropped it... yet. The larger screen on the same size footprint is a great improvement. Software is mostly the same and features are coming to Pixel 2, but it's already here in the Pixel 3.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I got the Pixel 3, I had Pixel 2, it's definitely worth the upgrade. Hardware, overall feel, and wireless charging. 3 big reasons to upgrade. The glass is very nice. It is slippery but I haven't dropped it... yet. The larger screen on the same size footprint is a great improvement. Software is mostly the same and features are coming to Pixel 2, but it's already here in the Pixel 3.

Stop at a Best Buy and try out a Google Fabric case and see what you think. You don't have to buy it to try it out. It slips on and off fairly easily. I tried one and it's still on my Pixel 3 XL.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I upgraded from OG Pixel XL to Pixel 3 XL and feel it's worth it, though only because of the Black Friday sale prices. I still would have eventually upgraded, but not for many months and probably would have bought used. Part of the positive upgrade is because the OG Pixel is showing its age after 2 years. Battery life is degrading and there's definitely some lag that wasn't there last year. I also wanted to have the new radio frequencies (Band 66 on TMo) that are on the P3.

I probably wouldn't have upgraded if I had a P2.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from OG Pixel XL to Pixel 3 XL and feel it's worth it, though only because of the Black Friday sale prices. I still would have eventually upgraded, but not for many months and probably would have bought used. Part of the positive upgrade is because the OG Pixel is showing its age after 2 years. Battery life is degrading and there's definitely some lag that wasn't there last year. I also wanted to have the new radio frequencies (Band 66 on TMo) that are on the P3.

I probably wouldn't have upgraded if I had a P2.

Couldn't agree more with your post! I also just upgraded from the OG Pixel XL to a 64GB 3XL in Clearly White. Only having used the phone for one day, I can already say the screen, camera, and overall build quality are huge improvements. My assumption is the battery life will be better as well, not to mention the front-facing speakers, etc. The notch isn't so attractive, but also isn't the end of the world as many have complained. And the beauty of Android is we have options to mitigate the unsightliness if we so choose. With the Black Friday deal through Project Fi of $200 off, a $200 bill credit, and $130 for phone trade-in, this ended up being a GREAT deal on a flagship phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't agree more with your post! I also just upgraded from the OG Pixel XL to a 64GB 3XL in Clearly White. Only having used the phone for one day, I can already say the screen, camera, and overall build quality are huge improvements. My assumption is the battery life will be better as well, not to mention the front-facing speakers, etc. The notch isn't so attractive, but also isn't the end of the world as many have complained. And the beauty of Android is we have options to mitigate the unsightliness if we so choose. With the Black Friday deal through Project Fi of $200 off, a $200 bill credit, and $130 for phone trade-in, this ended up being a GREAT deal on a flagship phone.

The notch was a non event for me from the beginning and after owning it for just over a month I almost never notice it. When I do it's usually because someone brings it up.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

It's a small sample size so far, but there is a significant improvement in battery life versus my Pixel XL. I listen to iheartradio on my morning commute through bluetooth. OG Pixel would be at 84%-87% battery when I got in. P3 XL was at 94% this morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene