What is ENHANCED backhaul?

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Taken directly from AT&T?s website:

Question:
What is backhaul?
Answer:
Backhaul is one of the major pieces of a telecommunications network. Think of it as the limbs connecting AT&T?s cell towers with AT&T's world-class backbone network that provides access to the Internet.

Note: 4G speeds require a 4G device and are delivered when HSPA+ technology is combined with enhanced backhaul. 4G speeds are available in select cities with availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment. For information on currently available 4G markets, see 4G Speed from AT&T and select the Coverage map.

The sentence that got my attention is this one: ?4G speeds require a 4G device and are delivered when HSPA+ technology is combined with enhanced backhaul?.

Enhanced backhaul? Is there a difference between backhaul and enhanced backhaul? How the heck can you find out if 1) You are in an area with enhanced backhaul and 2) If you are not, how the heck do you find out if AT&T plans on rolling out enhanced backhaul in your coverage area?

If this is truly a requirement to maximize a 3.5G / 4G device's potential, I'm curious why, in all the news and posts about 4G, LTE, HSUPA updates and so on, I have ready virtually nothing regarding enhanced backhaul.

So I?m clear, my actual question is: How do I find out about enhanced backhaul in my area?

Shanks.

poneeboy53

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Those are maps are where they have their HSPA+ network installed (they never mention anything about enhanced backhaul regarding the maps). I live in LA and am pretty sure that they do not have the enhanced backhaul up yet. My speeds have not increased.

Another lie by AT&T maps are worthless if they haven't turned anything on yet and top that off with no HUSPA and it makes me sick that i am stuck with AT&T.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree with poneeboy53. The map on the AT&T site that you can click on the certain cities that allegedly have 4G speeds is misleading. Supposedly those areas have enhanced backhaul (the physical wiring) completed but haven't necessarily turned on whatever they need to turn on to get the increased speeds. I've talked to a few different AT&T reps (in stores and on the phone) asking why my speeds are no faster than my wife's iPhone 3Gs, even though their map shows "4G" is enabled where I am, and most of them said tower I'm near may have not been switched over yet. The funny thing about that is that I've done speed tests all over the Chicago area and I get pretty much the same speeds everywhere.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I think I did see that Providence, RI has enhanced backhaul in one of my Internet searches. My wife is from RI and we will be there over Easter. I will be sure to run some tests from my phone.

The lack of "switched on" towers/backhaul is really frustrating. I wish AT&T would at least explain WTF it is waiting for.

These big ISP/Telcos are HORRIBLE about open communication with their subscribers.

Thanks to you both for the info.

gmurphy0487

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I live near LA and have been there recently and didn't see any speed difference from where I live in Palmdale. AT&T's maps are very misleading. Shouldn't have signed that contract.....

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I think they're scared. Just like their excuse for the capping of upload speeds was because they wanted to ensure their network could handle full speeds from the Inspire and Atrix, thus maintaining a "quality customer experience". Maintaining? I'm still waiting for mine to begin!

frogstofall

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I do find it interesting that in small print on the map it says,

"Map depicts current and future 3G coverage. 4G coverage not depicted."

Now what the HELL is the point of a 4G map that doesn't show any 4 freaking G?!?!

Hypnopottamus

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I do find it interesting that in small print on the map it says,

"Map depicts current and future 3G coverage. 4G coverage not depicted."

Now what the HELL is the point of a 4G map that doesn't show any 4 freaking G?!?!

LOL. AT&T frustrates me to no ends! Their coverage stinks and their data usage policy is a joke. Unfortunately I'm kind of stuck for now. At least I get consistent 3G coverage and my calls haven't dropped in a long while. I just want to unleash this phone's potential already. GIVE US HSPA+ ALREADY!!!

waaday1101

May 4, 2019
Visit site
In what I know about cell tower coverage which admittedly isn't a ton, and a very brief history of communications companies, it is very unwise too trust the coverage maps that AT&T, T-mobile, and smaller brands say. I would definitely ask around your area, on the other hand Verizon is a the coverage leader but......you will pay an average of 5% more in my personal experience. -Namaste

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco24