What should the next Nexus 10 look like?

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If you showed an alien the Nexus line, they'd probably never make the link between the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10. I had a go at creating a 'consistent' look for the Nexus 10. The bezels on the left/right have the front-facing speakers on them, and are part of the back cover.

The model itself isn't that great, I mostly just wanted to get a design out of my head. ;o

Attachments

• nexus002.png
    nexus002.png
    342.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Asus Nexus 10 - Side.png
    Asus Nexus 10 - Side.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Nice. Hopefully the chassis is a little bit sturdier to keep the light bleed to a bare minimum.

But I think the real question is: what should the next Nexus 10 be like? As in specs. How do you top a tablet that's still the best thing out there? Another GB of RAM? Another 0.2 GHz of processing power? A 64GB model?

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Nice. Hopefully the chassis is a little bit sturdier to keep the light bleed to a bare minimum.

But I think the real question is: what should the next Nexus 10 be like? As in specs. How do you top a tablet that's still the best thing out there? Another GB of RAM? Another 0.2 GHz of processing power? A 64GB model?

IMO it just needs to be powerful enough to be thoroughly out of lag ground. It should be able to push that 1600p resolution at an average of at least 50fps in any situation the user might come across.

Near enough everything else hardware-wise could be exactly the same as the Nexus 7, and it would still be an amazing tablet.

I'd like to see it use a standard cable to charge, but I guess the USB spec just isn't adequate for charging huge batteries quickly.

One other thing: they should swap the front and rear cameras. Have the rear one be only, say, 3 megapixels, and put the better shooter on the front. Ideal for video chatting (i.e. Hangouts).

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
So will you be redesigning al the Nexus Phones so they look like the nexus 7 Tablet? Considering the whole Nexus line is made by different Manufacturers I don't expect them to look alike. To me the draw of the Nexus line has never been about a cvisual similarity throughout the line, it is about what is inside ahdn when it gets updated.

All in all your deesign looks fine, I just don't agree with the reasoning behind a need for a redesign.

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So will you be redesigning al the Nexus Phones so they look like the nexus 7 Tablet? Considering the whole Nexus line is made by different Manufacturers I don't expect them to look alike. To me the draw of the Nexus line has never been about a cvisual similarity throughout the line, it is about what is inside ahdn when it gets updated.

All in all your deesign looks fine, I just don't agree with the reasoning behind a need for a redesign.

Yes, but first impressions are everything. You already know Google and Android - the average Joe doesn't. Besides, don't you think it's better to have a complete package?

By the way, they did redesign the new Nexus phone to match the Nexus 7 - look at the photos from the statue unveiling.

djm7541

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Google needs to insist that Asus comes up with speakers on the front like the one Samsung built. Apparently there's some reason manufacturers avoid that. Why else wouldn't they all be that way, if there wasn't a manufacturing issue ?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

My only real complain about my current N10 is battery life (or at least screen time). On standby, the battery last quite a while, but when I'm using my tablet the battery drains pretty fast (and it takes a long time to charge it back up!). I'm not sure how you could do it without making the device considerably larger, which I don't want, but as long as we're making wish-lists, it would be nice if I could get at least 10 hours screen time on a single charge.

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My only real complain about my current N10 is battery life (or at least screen time). On standby, the battery last quite a while, but when I'm using my tablet the battery drains pretty fast (and it takes a long time to charge it back up!). I'm not sure how you could do it without making the device considerably larger, which I don't want, but as long as we're making wish-lists, it would be nice if I could get at least 10 hours screen time on a single charge.

It can be done. If they can find more efficient components, optimise Android further and also find smaller parts like a thinner screen to allow for a bigger battery in the same profile, that sort of battery life might be achievable.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but first impressions are everything. You already know Google and Android - the average Joe doesn't. Besides, don't you think it's better to have a complete package?

By the way, they did redesign the new Nexus phone to match the Nexus 7 - look at the photos from the statue unveiling.

I think going for a line coheasive look when you have different manufacturer's involved is a recipe for disaster. I like the rubbery back to my Samsung Nexus 10 I wouldn't want that to be nixed because the Asus nexus 7 doesn't have it . The only other solution is for the same manufacturere to make ALL 3 lines so great in 2014 we get an LG Nexus Phone, LG nexus 7, and an LG nexus 10. Then for 2015 we get a Sony Nexus Phone, Sony Nexus 7, and a Sony Nexus 10. Except if I happen to HATE LG and Sony I would have to wait until 2016 before I could consider a Nexus device. Even then there would only be similar appearnce within model years. I just dont see Samsung making a Nexus using a physical design by Asus.

Pysical design is influenced by the components within. If you prioritize your pysical design over the components the technology suffers and vice versa.

bastecklein

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to see SD card support, although its a long shot for a Nexus. A kickstand would be cool too...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forum Fiend v1.0 Beta.