What to do if you forget your phone's PIN/password/pattern

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One of the most common questions on this forum is of course, "Help, I forgot my password! How do I get into my phone?" If you're like most human beings, you keep a lot of sensitive information on your phone, and so therefore it's important to keep it secure. The best way to do so is with a good screen lock. However, remember that a screen lock can almost never be bypassed -- that's intentional, because what good is a security measure that can be easily skipped?

So what happens if you forget the password, PIN, or pattern you created? Unfortunately, not a whole lot in most cases. If you have a Samsung phone and had the foresight to create a Samsung account and register your phone, you could use Samsung's Find My Mobile to remotely unlock the phone and/or change the password: https://findmymobile.samsung.com/.

If you have a really old phone, it might prompt you to enter your Google account and password if you fail the unlock process enough times (but be careful -- sometimes a phone will also completely wipe the phone after a certain number of incorrect unlock attempts).

But for pretty much any other recent phone, you're stuck -- and no, you can't use Google's Find My Device to remotely unlock a phone or change your password. Find My Device will only remotely lock your phone, and will prompt you to create a password only if you didn't have one set up to begin with. All you can do is a hardware key factory reset (do a web search on how to do that for your particular device), which of course will wipe your local data (so hopefully you were keeping things backed up or synced on a regular basis -- see belodion's post: https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/967867-lose-all-your-data-one-second.html#post6682856). And it will also trigger Factory Reset Protection since it will be considered an "unauthorized reset," which will prompt you for the Google account and password associated with the device -- so hopefully you remember that crucial bit of information.

So how can you avoid this kind of mishap? You could always use a password manager service, but that still requires you to remember a master password, and if you're reading this, then we've already kind of established that remembering a complicated password might not be 100% reliable for you. My suggestion is to go old school and write it down on a piece of paper, and keep it safe somewhere at home (or in a safety deposit box).

Mooncatt's excellent guide here can give you more guidance on how to manage your passwords effectively: https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...-importance-why-you-should-remember-them.html

Last edited:
Reactions: RikkiAmbrose

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks B Diddy ! *thumbsup* That's all important & helpful info !;-)
I'm trying to catch-up a bit after not having swung by these here parts for a couple of years, so I really appreciate your wisdom and advise and well-written, helpful articles.

ABarr

May 10, 2023
Visit site
What is everyone's opinion on this idea? Google's frp lock BASICALLY LET GOOGLE STEAL (or brick!)TWO $400 phone's from me when they first pulled that FRP GAME on us.
If we had ONE Very Secure PASSWORD & we started every new phone with that password for the Google Account & the next day changed it to WHATEVER.. if Google FRP asks for a password. Does that password unlock it? I'm just thinking if it is used on every device on only day one. Is that a safe way to keep that password or is that NOT?? with the alternative being a possible a lockout. ?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
What is everyone's opinion on this idea? Google's frp lock BASICALLY LET GOOGLE STEAL (or brick!)TWO $400 phone's from me when they first pulled that FRP GAME on us.
If we had ONE Very Secure PASSWORD & we started every new phone with that password for the Google Account & the next day changed it to WHATEVER.. if Google FRP asks for a password. Does that password unlock it? I'm just thinking if it is used on every device on only day one. Is that a safe way to keep that password or is that NOT?? with the alternative being a possible a lockout. ?
Welcome.

I’m not sure I understand. How does FRP brick your phone?

Do you mean that it’s unreasonable to expect users to remember more than one password, which would then be a temporary master password?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

ABarr

May 10, 2023
Visit site
Well I say bricked meaning, I could never use either of them again. & When Google first came out with that, "I" wasn't prepared. I had no idea what a FRP even was until after I was locked out.
The question of the password, I would say, if you own several devices plus your kids, it's a lot more than one password.. but reading it now, I know the answer is no.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
A good tip if you plan to go the "write it down on a piece of paper" strategy is not to simply write the password, but write a clue to the password that only you would know.

Personally, I keep all my passwords in a text file that I keep on my phone in the safe/vault thing (which has a different password to the one that unlocks the phone) and I keep it in a password protected zip file in my Google Drive. So it's accessible from both phone and computer.

Even if someone got into the safe/google drive and got the file, they'd first have to crack the password to unzip it, then they'd need to understand my password hints that no amount of social engineering could help them. Here's what one might look like: <lb2><5dg><lb3><far><ewg> The "lb" means something to me, as does dg, far, and ewg, but they only make sense to me. Looking at that I could instantly know that it means something that looks a bit like Rp49rqs532!fpd. It works so well that I can visit a website and work out in my head in a second what the password should be, and it would be different at every website.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A good tip if you plan to go the "write it down on a piece of paper" strategy is not to simply write the password, but write a clue to the password that only you would know.

Personally, I keep all my passwords in a text file that I keep on my phone in the safe/vault thing (which has a different password to the one that unlocks the phone) and I keep it in a password protected zip file in my Google Drive. So it's accessible from both phone and computer.

Even if someone got into the safe/google drive and got the file, they'd first have to crack the password to unzip it, then they'd need to understand my password hints that no amount of social engineering could help them. Here's what one might look like: <lb2><5dg><lb3><far><ewg> The "lb" means something to me, as does dg, far, and ewg, but they only make sense to me. Looking at that I could instantly know that it means something that looks a bit like Rp49rqs532!fpd. It works so well that I can visit a website and work out in my head in a second what the password should be, and it would be different at every website.
That's a great idea -- I used to do this, but as a file in Google Drive (since even though I fully trust Google Drive's security, there's always that .0001% chance that someone unsavory accesses it -- perhaps due to my own carelessness).

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
That's a great idea -- I used to do this, but as a file in Google Drive (since even though I fully trust Google Drive's security, there's always that .0001% chance that someone unsavory accesses it -- perhaps due to my own carelessness).
Yeah, that's why the file in Drive is a password-protected zip. So you have to (1) hack into my google drive account, (2) find the zip file which is my passwords (hint: it's not called passwords.zip ;)), (3) hack into the zip, and after all that step 4 is to figure out what all the hints to the passwords actually mean. I'd need to be either a billionaire or a person-of-interest for anyone to have the motivation and ability to get through all those hoops :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow