What will rooting get me? Will I also need a custom ROM?

savvy_cowgirl

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I bought a used EVO 3D, that had been wiped, so it is back to factory. I'm trying an android phone again after sending my Galaxy SII back after a 12 day trial. I've now found out that you can "root" the phone and have more control. What I would like to do is remove the location applications, I'm not going to use them they take up space. I'd like to remove the social stuff, facebook, twitter & the like, same reason. I've found I can disable them, but they aren't removable. Also the alarm clock would go off for like 15 seconds. That won't wake me up on a good day. Is there a way to make it let me set it for longer, short of buying an app like I did for the Galaxy SII?
I know rooting gives me more control over the phone, but I don't know what KIND of control? Like the things listed above? Or will I have to go further and find some custom ROM and then install that to make it do what I want?
Thanks so much! I get some of the stuff in general, like the more control, but I wanted to know a bit more specifically.:p

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Its always better to root. With a file manager you can remove whatever bloat you wont need and then some. You can PM me if you need more info and details