What will the BlackBerry Mercury be called?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think they should leave the code name as it is. It already sounds cool.

But then, most code names sound more cool than the actual name it's given. ;)

Travis Bakker

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I feel like they have started to build a new brand around the DTEK monikers. I think they will stick with that to avoid any confusion that it is a new BlackBerry Mobile device. My thoughts are that it will be launched as the DTEK 70.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I feel like they have started to build a new brand around the DTEK monikers. I think they will stick with that to avoid any confusion that it is a new BlackBerry Mobile device. My thoughts are that it will be launched as the DTEK 70.

If BB is trying to build a flagship, this is probably the phone to do it. Something to distinguish between the DTEK line and say the flagship line.

Travis Bakker

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
If BB is trying to build a flagship, this is probably the phone to do it. Something to distinguish between the DTEK line and say the flagship line.

I really don't think that is their play with this device though. It's not meant as a halo device, more of a corporate enterprise device. They will want to continue to push the security aspect of their devices so the DTEK name makes sense there. Also, it's my opinion that BlackBerry hasn't been great with naming conventions since the Bold/Curve/Pearl era, another reason to stick with DTEK.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I really don't think that is their play with this device though. It's not meant as a halo device, more of a corporate enterprise device. They will want to continue to push the security aspect of their devices so the DTEK name makes sense there. Also, it's my opinion that BlackBerry hasn't been great with naming conventions since the Bold/Curve/Pearl era, another reason to stick with DTEK.

As BB Mobile is now technically a different company, I think they are trying to sell to the masses. I don't think this is going to be a device targeted at a specific market.

Travis Bakker

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
With TCL taking the reigns, and already having Alcatel as a mass market device. I am not so sure that BB Mobile won't be a niche play, at least to begin with as they try to re-establish the brand. If they were really targeting mass market they wouldn't do so with a keyboard device which is already inherently a niche form factor. I feel like the DTEK 60 was much more of a mass market play, and it still carried the DTEK name.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Wondering if anyone has any cool ideas or insight into what the Mercury will be called? Any thoughts?

There is one part of me that hopes it gets called the 'Mercury' but then again, i don't think any phone ever has been called its code name for the release name. Its super cool though! Below i have quoted one of the theories Steve from TCL mentioned. So thats very fitting and think it described the device well.

Theory number three is that it comes from the periodic table of elements. Mercury is element number 80. The Greek root of the element name means liquid silver. This is a very sleek and sexy device. I could maybe buy that.

As for names, i if they stuck with the DTEK naming i wouldn't be upset but i loved it when Blackberry gave their devices names like 'Leap', 'Classic' , Passport' , 'PRIV' so I'm also hoping for a name. Maybe its being called the Blackberry PRESS? :)

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I could actually live with Mercury. Has been a great name so far.

Personally, not a huge fan of DTEK as a name... kind of hope they find a new line of naming, something a little more engaging. I know they'll figure it out. I have faith!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Personally, not a huge fan of DTEK as a name... kind of hope they find a new line of naming, something a little more engaging. I know they'll figure it out. I have faith!

For sure! "DTEK" versus "Mercury"... "Mercury" definitely sounds cooler.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
To Mercury.... AND BEYOND! Wait, that's not right...

dbx2hMyXuzFPq.gif

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Don't blackberry have a habit of having pretty cool code names and releasing them with worse product names? Wasn't the priv 'Venice' (which I think is kind of cool) and then it became the 'Priv' (which in the UK is slang for toilet).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't blackberry have a habit of having pretty cool code names and releasing them with worse product names? Wasn't the priv 'Venice' (which I think is kind of cool) and then it became the 'Priv' (which in the UK is slang for toilet).

I think it was Venice! Darn, they should've kept that!!

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I also read somewhere that Mercury was the mythical Greek Messenger god, perfect for a unique messaging device!

Edit: from Brittanica (I was close but not quite correct) . . .
"Mercury, Latin Mercurius, in Roman religion, god of shopkeepers and merchants, travelers and transporters of goods, and thieves and tricksters. He is commonly identified with the Greek*Hermes, the fleet-footed messenger of the gods."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kazank