Who said the Nexus can't take good photos...

shutterhead

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Most of these photos look fine to the average user. A photographer would be easily able to spot the clipping and amount of noise in any of the low light photos. But thats expected, its a low cost hardware and anyone serious about photos would get a decent hardware. Plus people seem to judge whether the camera is good or not based on the scene not the actual performance..

I am a photographer and see the cameras flaws but really don't care. I judge my 5D3 in a similar fashion in that I'd love to step into medium format so its all relative.

edieblack05

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm also a photographer and the Nexus camera is a decent camera. It does better in good lighting situations (natural light) and not so great in low light, especially if the flash is needed. I use my Nexus all the time for snap shots but when I want to print something up to display, I always use my professional camera.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I honestly think my Fascinate had a better camera, but hey it's a phone camera, I have my DSLR for taking high quality photos.

shutterhead

May 12, 2011
Visit site
It want long ago that the only digital cameras available took worse images than phones ... it won't be long before no one will really have anything to complain about.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have always been pretty pleased with my camera.....however it could always be better...especially on "long distance" photos.

macro shots look amazing with this camera...but anything further than 100 feet away is sub par IMO. but again, i have higher end cameras for that.
some of my samples
IMG_20120404_181009.jpg

this one is slightly adjusted to be honest....sharpened up about 10% and a little saturation added since it was such a crappy day
IMG_20120213_200402.jpg

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I am also a photographer. The image below was taken with my Nexus while in Colorado in June. It's actually 3 HDR shots taken with HDR Camera + stitched together. No other modifications were made to the images.

BUT - I must say that all this talk about the camera on the Nexus being good are flat wrong. Samsung is a company that makes digital SLR's for crying out loud. The 5mp sensor on the Nexus was 3-year old tech when it came out at best. It's low-light sensitivity is atrocious, and it typically takes blurry images more often than ones that are in focus.

If Google wants to compete with the big dogs (aka Apple), then their flagship devices (aka Nexus) need to meet or exceed the competition when it comes to things like the camera. Putting this camera on such an amazing phone was a mistake, hopefully one they don't repeat with the next Nexus.

I'm not saying you can't take a good picture with this phone, even crappy cameras get it right every once in a while (usually in optimal lighting with a stationary subject). So as nice as our posted pictures are, that doesn't mean that this camera couldn't have had a better lens (F/2.0 anyone?), better low-light performance and less washed out color on the final image. Give this a try: turn on the camera and find an interesting subject to take a picture of. Before you take the picture, screen shot the viewfinder of what you're going to take a picture of, then take a regular picture. Compare the screenshot to the real image: the screen shot is arguably better! It has more color, contrast and typically is in focus. Blows my mind.

If you want to see a good picture from an Android phone, put the HTC One X in HDR mode and snap a landscape. You won't be talking up the Nexus' camera anymore. And don't get me started on the 'landscape' mode. The resulting image is so small and low-quality I thought Facebook was ruining them when I first uploaded one. Completely worthless. The One X's landscapes are full quality gigantic images that you can zoom in on to see the detail - so it's possible.

2drb0qa.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: nrfitchett4

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
If there's enough light, I can take decent pics with mine. Low light pictures come out pretty bad. It's gotten better after the 4.0.4 update but it's only just okay.

AntsInMyPants

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am also a photographer. The image below was taken with my Nexus while in Colorado in June. It's actually 3 HDR shots taken with HDR Camera + stitched together. No other modifications were made to the images.

BUT - I must say that all this talk about the camera on the Nexus being good are flat wrong. Samsung is a company that makes digital SLR's for crying out loud. The 5mp sensor on the Nexus was 3-year old tech when it came out at best. It's low-light sensitivity is atrocious, and it typically takes blurry images more often than ones that are in focus.

If Google wants to compete with the big dogs (aka Apple), then their flagship devices (aka Nexus) need to meet or exceed the competition when it comes to things like the camera. Putting this camera on such an amazing phone was a mistake, hopefully one they don't repeat with the next Nexus.

I'm not saying you can't take a good picture with this phone, even crappy cameras get it right every once in a while (usually in optimal lighting with a stationary subject). So as nice as our posted pictures are, that doesn't mean that this camera couldn't have had a better lens (F/2.0 anyone?), better low-light performance and less washed out color on the final image. Give this a try: turn on the camera and find an interesting subject to take a picture of. Before you take the picture, screen shot the viewfinder of what you're going to take a picture of, then take a regular picture. Compare the screenshot to the real image: the screen shot is arguably better! It has more color, contrast and typically is in focus. Blows my mind.

If you want to see a good picture from an Android phone, put the HTC One X in HDR mode and snap a landscape. You won't be talking up the Nexus' camera anymore. And don't get me started on the 'landscape' mode. The resulting image is so small and low-quality I thought Facebook was ruining them when I first uploaded one. Completely worthless. The One X's landscapes are full quality gigantic images that you can zoom in on to see the detail - so it's possible.

Click to view quoted image

I concur on the HDR Camera +. It takes beautiful vivid pictures but you have to keep the camera still for the the 3 shots. Kind of defeats the quick shot benefit of the camera.

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see all these shots side-by-side with another camera (One X or iPhone 4s) having taken the same picture. Then we'd really see the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thicha Jairat