Why did you pick the ecosystem you did?

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello, folks,

This is LOOOONNNGGG... you've been warned.

I'm curious as to why folks have picked the ecosystem, (Android, iOS, Windows... am I missing any?), that they did.

This is NOT meant as a which is better, because none are better or worse than the other... but some are better for YOU.

From my reasons below you'll see the tenor of the thread I hope this will be; not argumentative, not whose e-@$@^ is bigger, but INFORMATIVE.

Mods, if you think this thread will become, or does become, too inflammatory, feel free to delete it... like you need my permission, LOL :)

One thing I will say about iOS... I recommend it to anyone, (including my parents and In laws), who doesn't care about customizing and just wants to "use their phone," and not worry about it.

I read an article once where the author hit the nail on the head. He said: "When you have a device that both my 8 yr old daughter and my 80 yr old Grandmother can use with ease and no explanation... you have a winner on your hands."

So... how I came to land on Android.

My first smartphone was the iPhone 3G, or was it 3GS? Anyway, back in the, if not infancy of smartphones, surely the KG - 2nd grade era of smartphones.

I honestly don't know if Android was a thing then, I just knew about iPhones and loved my experience with them.

However, at some point along the road, when I did learn about Android, I was hankering of more screen real estate... that's it, nothing more, nothing less... I just wanted a bigger screen and Jobs was adamant that the iPhone would never get bigger than 3.5"

So, despite reading about what a boondoggle Android was back then... and I don't think anyone would argue that it WAS a boondoggle back in its early days, I gave Android a shot.

As I said, I simply wanted more screen. So, I bought the Galaxy S2 skyrocket I'm pretty sure it was called.

Boy oh BOY did I learn to HATE Android. I couldn't find anything. I couldn't do the things I could do with my iPhone... everything was just such a mess !! Nowadays I'd probably say the same thing if I moved to iOS after all these years on Android, LOL.

Back to my iPhone I went, convinced all the bad press I'd read about Android was true.

Then some new iOS update came out... I honestly don't remember the number, but it KILLED WiFi usage. My phone, and my iPad 2, both of which had updated, could not stay connected to WiFi for more than a few minutes. My son's iPad 1, (he inherits my hand me down tech), which had NOT updated, was just fine.

Tons of research on the web, and tons and TONS of people complaining about this... and not a single word from Apple. I was so ticked off.

I then grabbed my Android Skyrocket out of the drawer, hooked it up to WiFi... which worked unlike my newly updated iPhone... and researched Android, watched YouTube videos, and learned how to do everything that I wanted to do.

This transition took place over about a two month period of time from when the update came out, to when I got fed up enough to learn about Android, to when I got the hang of using Android... and still no fix for the iPhone WiFi issue.

So, I switched SIM cards and never looked back. Frankly, if that update hand't killed WiFi, or if they'd fixed it during the time I was learning how to use my Samsung Skyrocket, I might still be on iOS since they did ultimately produce larger screens.

As I learned more and more about Android, and how I could customize it; the keyboard I want, the messaging app I want, the launcher I want, the placement of icons where I want, etc etc... and let's face it... Android also got better and better as it went along, (as did iOS too), I fell in love with both the OS and the larger and larger screens that were coming out.

Now, iPhone did, (as we all know), start getting bigger screens too. I'm pretty sure they allow some customization for keyboards and such now? I might be wrong there though.

So, BOTH platforms have made tremendous strides over the years. Frankly I'm not a fan of Samsung, Google or Apple as a COMPANY... but I can, and do, appreciate their OS and devices they offer.

For ME... for what *I* want in a phone/device... the Samsung Galaxy Note series scratches my itch, and *I* prefer Android for its greater customization it affords me. It's NOT a better OS... it's better for ME and that's the main reason I made the switch to, and have stuck with, Android... greater control over how my phones looks and how I use it.

As mentioned above, my parents and In Laws got an iPhone, based on my recommendation, and always squawk when I talk about how much I can, and do, change on my phone regularly. They say it's too complicated, and love their iPhones... and I'm glad they do. However, they have to rely on others for "tech support," LOL.

So... what drew you to whichever ecosystem you use?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
If Windows Phone was a think, and BB, I’d have those two also. I never want to be tied to one platform if possible.

My Note II kept killing batteries. So I bounced to iPhone. Got bored. Wash rinse repeat.

Currently iPhone X and Note 9 along with spare Essential (mostly to play with 9.0 Pie).

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I started out by just following the lead of my daughter and son-in-law. I liked what I saw in their Android phones. At the time, I knew very little about Apple. As the years went on and the more I studied both ecosystems (before they were called ecosystems LOL) I became more educated on Apple as a business and their products. Their phones seemed to never change/grow...literally. And it was Apple's way or the highway. Their closed platform was a turn off because I was tech savvy but like you, I actually suggested Apple for my elderly parents and I explained why. They thought it was odd I would suggest a phone to them that they often heard me say "Apple is against my religion" LOL They chose to go with the same phone I had so I could provide tech support :) The final straw was Apple's stance against helping law enforcement in the security of this Nation by not unlocking the phone of the terrorist-murderers of 14 people, the attempted murder of 22 others that resulted in serious injuries during an attempted bombing in San Bernardino. I love Android's platform and I love what Samsung does with it. Earlier this year I veered off the Samsung lane and gave Google Pixel a chance. After-all, one of my fav tech You Tubers (MKBHD) told me I should (g) Well, it took less than a day for me to figure out "pure stock Android" was not for me! I like fluff (with substance) and Samsung offers it in spades :) My first Samsung was the S5, then the S7 followed by the S9+ and now the 8th Wonder of the World...the Note 9.
Android gives me everything I want in a phone. Apple offfers (me) nothing.

jmorris1974

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I started off my journey with the Droid X. that phone died on me and I was forced into a Samsung Fascinate. Android at that time was fairly buggy and not that reliable from my experience. When the iPhone 5S came out, I decided to jump to iOS. I stayed there for three years, and then moved back to Android with the LG v20. The LG was so buggy that I almost went back to iOS. I would have to, had I not received an email deal for the Note 9.
Android had always appealed to me because it resembles most like a PC with all the uses and customizability. iOS was a good place for the time I was there. It really is almost a "just works" type of experience, and the years worth of updates they provide for their phones is unparalleled.
Android appears to me to be going in the direction of the computer from Star trek, and that fascinates me to no end. Throw in the customizability and the relative cheapness in price in comparison to what you get with iOS, and it just feels like home.

Mits5139

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I've tried most of the ecosystems that were available:

Nokia Symbian
BlackBerry
Windows Phone
iOS
Android

In an ideal world I loved windows phone the best but due to lack of support decided to move on. Apple is a great ecosystem and it just works but I loved the variety of trying different handsets. not something you experience with apple.

Hence onto Android. I love tech and love to change fairly frequently. The sheer variety of phones available was the big appeal. The ability to load my own tracks onto my phone, expand via memory card as access my phone on any computer I attach my phone too was a big draw. Samsungs DeX OS the closest thing to windows continuum and it works well for the basics. All the apps that I used on apple are on android as well as sometimes more feature rich.

My chosen ecosystem is now more a blend of android and windows. A great combination so far 😊

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Basically landed on Android as the available options began to dwindle. I much preferred Windows. Before that I was a Palm/Handspring purest. All that remains is Google's Android and Apple's iOS.
Apple maintains a strict closed ecosystem. Whereas Android allows a y manufacturer to use their OS. I went with Android because I felt claustrophobic in Apple's domain and I am/was an advocate for open source.

Right now I'm with Samsung's version of Android, particularly because I like the Galaxy Note series.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I had a BlackBerry Curve, an iPhone 5, then finally my first Samsung smartphone the Galaxy S5 - ever since then I have not wanted any other phone. I liked how you could customize everything and not just the wallpaper like iPhones. I got the S7 Edge, S8+, my first Note, the Note8 and finally my Note9 and there is nothing that Apple could create that could ever make me consider switching back. I have my iPad for the iOs feel and my Macbook Pro as my laptop. But for my phone, it has to be Samsung because I just love what they have to offer. Not saying it's the most perfect phone in the world, but it is for me and I am incredibly happy with it

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I got started with Symbian on the Nokia E61, had another Symbian device (Nokia E71), and then switched to BlackBerry (9000 and then 9700). Next, I went to Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 900 and 920). When it was evident that Windows Phone was on its way out (apps being pulled and Microsoft giving up support), I needed a new platform.

I have family and friends who use iPhones and Android devices. I chose Android due to the variety of devices available and the customisation options available. I've been using Android devices for 3½ years now (Moto X OG, Moto X Pure Edition, and now LG V20). I also have a 2013 Nexus 7 tablet which still works great. I'm not sure what my next device will be, but I know it will be another Android device.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't know that I chose Android necessarily. More like it just stuck. I had the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4. Not only were they my first smartphones, they were my first phones, period. I never wanted a flip phone. I never wanted a little brick phone. But as phones turned into computers, that piqued my interest. While owning those two phones I was totally become a phone nerd. Reading info, taking in as much I could. And the LG Optimus G was coming to the states. The first quad core device to be released in the US. I was already thinking about giving Android a try. Both of my iPhones were jail broken and while that was fun, I was looking for a change and thought this would be the time to give it a go. 4 LG devices (including the Nexus 5), an Honor 8 and a Galaxy S8 later, I'm happy to say I never looked back.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Everyone has different work flow needs...

My companies used blackberry phones and PCs... so I naturally migrated to android and PCs.

I stay with best in class... love my Android phone, iPad and Microsoft PCs.

I owned MacBook Pros, but the cost and compatibility issues eventually turned me away. Laptop makers like dell and hp figured out how to make better quality builds...

R

Aby_Cat

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I have an Android phone, an iPad with iOS, and a desktop PC and Surface Pro with Windows. And prior to Android, I was a hard core Blackberry user. So I am comfortable working with just about any system. For me, the ability to customize my Android phone is a huge win for me, I hate how Apple forces so many restrictions. But when it comes down to it, they are just different tools to do a job and you pick the ones you like and are comfortable with. I don't think any one is better than the others, they are just different.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What a great conversation topic - thank you so much for posting! And I see that you are a newer user here - welcome to Android Central!

When I first got into smartphones in general, BlackBerry was its own ecosystem; so I'll start with that. I was initially drawn to BlackBerry because it had the keyboard and I thought it was a really innovative device line. I loved that they had three different "types" of BlackBerry phones - the Bold, the Curve, and the Torch. I loved the removable battery and the customization options. And I was a really big fan of BlackBerry Messenger and the LED light.

BlackBerry just worked for me. I saw absolutely no need to try out Android, iOS, or Windows. And when the BlackBerry Q10 came out, I got it around launch time and thought it was the coolest thing ever (physical keyboard plus touchscreen!!).

Once I had the Q10 for a while, I got to the point that I wanted to try something new (maybe a year or less later). Android seemed to be a very interesting ecosystem - so many choices - and so I wanted to explore my options. I was really intrigued by the Nexus 5.

When I first got into Android (I indeed bought a Nexus 5), I found the OS to be to my liking too - not that it was better than BlackBerry, just that it met my needs as well - I loved the customization, the different choices and features of each device line, and the different hardware styles. And I fell in love with the simplicity and fluidity of stock Android.

With all that being said, I think each ecosystem has their own benefits and drawbacks. And BB and Android still meet my needs - and I also think the marriage of BlackBerry and Android was AWESOME.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
My first "flagship" experience was when the Note 3 came out, and qt the time, work was providing your choice of phone. I got it and LOVED it. After two years they abruptly said there only supplying iPhones now, security related concerns for them. I went with an iPhone for a few months iPhone 6 Plus at the time. But I missed my android experience so much that I returned the iPhone and went back to my Notes.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello, folks,

This is LOOOONNNGGG... you've been warned.

I'm curious as to why folks have picked the ecosystem, (Android, iOS, Windows... am I missing any?), that they did.

This is NOT meant as a which is better, because none are better or worse than the other... but some are better for YOU.

From my reasons below you'll see the tenor of the thread I hope this will be; not argumentative, not whose e-@$@^ is bigger, but INFORMATIVE.

Mods, if you think this thread will become, or does become, too inflammatory, feel free to delete it... like you need my permission, LOL :)

One thing I will say about iOS... I recommend it to anyone, (including my parents and In laws), who doesn't care about customizing and just wants to "use their phone," and not worry about it.

I read an article once where the author hit the nail on the head. He said: "When you have a device that both my 8 yr old daughter and my 80 yr old Grandmother can use with ease and no explanation... you have a winner on your hands."

So... how I came to land on Android.

My first smartphone was the iPhone 3G, or was it 3GS? Anyway, back in the, if not infancy of smartphones, surely the KG - 2nd grade era of smartphones.

I honestly don't know if Android was a thing then, I just knew about iPhones and loved my experience with them.

However, at some point along the road, when I did learn about Android, I was hankering of more screen real estate... that's it, nothing more, nothing less... I just wanted a bigger screen and Jobs was adamant that the iPhone would never get bigger than 3.5"

So, despite reading about what a boondoggle Android was back then... and I don't think anyone would argue that it WAS a boondoggle back in its early days, I gave Android a shot.

As I said, I simply wanted more screen. So, I bought the Galaxy S2 skyrocket I'm pretty sure it was called.

Boy oh BOY did I learn to HATE Android. I couldn't find anything. I couldn't do the things I could do with my iPhone... everything was just such a mess !! Nowadays I'd probably say the same thing if I moved to iOS after all these years on Android, LOL.

Back to my iPhone I went, convinced all the bad press I'd read about Android was true.

Then some new iOS update came out... I honestly don't remember the number, but it KILLED WiFi usage. My phone, and my iPad 2, both of which had updated, could not stay connected to WiFi for more than a few minutes. My son's iPad 1, (he inherits my hand me down tech), which had NOT updated, was just fine.

Tons of research on the web, and tons and TONS of people complaining about this... and not a single word from Apple. I was so ticked off.

I then grabbed my Android Skyrocket out of the drawer, hooked it up to WiFi... which worked unlike my newly updated iPhone... and researched Android, watched YouTube videos, and learned how to do everything that I wanted to do.

This transition took place over about a two month period of time from when the update came out, to when I got fed up enough to learn about Android, to when I got the hang of using Android... and still no fix for the iPhone WiFi issue.

So, I switched SIM cards and never looked back. Frankly, if that update hand't killed WiFi, or if they'd fixed it during the time I was learning how to use my Samsung Skyrocket, I might still be on iOS since they did ultimately produce larger screens.

As I learned more and more about Android, and how I could customize it; the keyboard I want, the messaging app I want, the launcher I want, the placement of icons where I want, etc etc... and let's face it... Android also got better and better as it went along, (as did iOS too), I fell in love with both the OS and the larger and larger screens that were coming out.

Now, iPhone did, (as we all know), start getting bigger screens too. I'm pretty sure they allow some customization for keyboards and such now? I might be wrong there though.

So, BOTH platforms have made tremendous strides over the years. Frankly I'm not a fan of Samsung, Google or Apple as a COMPANY... but I can, and do, appreciate their OS and devices they offer.

For ME... for what *I* want in a phone/device... the Samsung Galaxy Note series scratches my itch, and *I* prefer Android for its greater customization it affords me. It's NOT a better OS... it's better for ME and that's the main reason I made the switch to, and have stuck with, Android... greater control over how my phones looks and how I use it.

As mentioned above, my parents and In Laws got an iPhone, based on my recommendation, and always squawk when I talk about how much I can, and do, change on my phone regularly. They say it's too complicated, and love their iPhones... and I'm glad they do. However, they have to rely on others for "tech support," LOL.

So... what drew you to whichever ecosystem you use?

I, like you started at iPhone 3g, then 4, then moved to Android on Galaxy S3(which had its ups and downs), been on Android ever since(but not all Galaxies) . By the time I realized I would like trying a Windows phone it was too late!

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've used a variety of Symbian/Palm/Windows Mobile/BlackBerry/iOS/Android devices. I like Android because it has a simple file management and transfer system and offers a variety of options for customization (widgets, launchers, default apps, etc.). I also like having a headset jack; I use it everyday to listen to FM radio. I also use it to connect to my sound system and car audio system.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Basically landed on Android as the available options began to dwindle. I much preferred Windows. Before that I was a Palm/Handspring purest. All that remains is Google's Android and Apple's iOS.
Apple maintains a strict closed ecosystem. Whereas Android allows a y manufacturer to use their OS. I went with Android because I felt claustrophobic in Apple's domain and I am/was an advocate for open source.

Right now I'm with Samsung's version of Android, particularly because I like the Galaxy Note series.

I thought I saw you in another post saying you like iPhone the best?

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I thought I saw you in another post saying you like iPhone the best?

iPhone is best for those that like Apple's offerings.

To stay on topic - I use and prefer Android (specifically Samsung Note 9 and previously Note 8. Also had several earlier Note versions to include the very first one) for the reasons I listed earlier in this thread. But agree that iPhone is best for those that prefer Apple. Do you not agree?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was on iPhone until the 4 then came to Android. Been on countless Android phones (was a chronic switcher for years). I have dipped back into iPhone a few times and currently am again right now.

No matter if I am on iOS or Android I am a huge Google user. Every service is used such as assistant, mail, notes, drive, etc. I have to give Apple credit on some of their ecosystem with how many people use it and the few perks like iMessage (great for non tech fam).

So I'd say I'm mainly Android with an appreciation for the competition and what it is.

Suresh Williams

Dec 9, 2017
Visit site
I started off with Symbian phone- Nokia 5530 Express Music and then moved onto Xperia J. I then decided to pick iPhone 4S which I couldn't even use for 6 months due to lack of customisation and then to Xperia Z2(Being my most loved phone) I wanted to get a glimpse of Windows Phone OS and hence picked Lumia 750(Still using it as my backup phone)
Currently am typing this with my OnePlus5 and now waiting to upgrade to Pixel 3😍😍😍

Using a BB phone with BB OS is one another wish pending