Why do you choose Android?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why you choose Android?

When I started to choose an iPhone, Windows Mobile was a joke. I won't buy an Apple product. (They once [1980s] claimed that if you wrote Mac software according to their rules, they'd never do anything to break your software. Then they switched to the PowerPC, and broke all existing Mac software. I don't like being lied to.) Android runs on Linux, which I've been using since before version 1.0, so I can do what I need to do on the phone without thinking about the "how", just about the "what".

I use tools I'm familiar with. It's how I write code, and it's how I use my phone.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

1. I love customization which brings me to point 2
2. I want to make the phone mine and not just feeling like I've rented it thanks to a lot of limitations
3. Android is the only OS which allows me to change the ROM if I'm not happy with the stock version
4. Titanium Backup Pro combined with TWRP allows me to really save all my hard work.
5. Removable Battery + sd storage - Blackberry back in the OS 7 days had it but they've ditched it so Android is the only where companies are offering this very important service
6. "desktop like style" I think the additions of a recent apps and back button with one more than one function (thank you Xposed) are essentiell and make navigation so much more fluid than on any other OS not named BB os 7.
7. high end on Android is really highend, if I'm investing a lot of money I just know that I'll get the current top specs which will last me a long time. Others OS may be similar or even higher priced but they lack top end specs or force their limitations on you to hide this very fact.
8. it's based on Linux I love Linux and use it all the time (its the main OS on my Notebook) so like the poster before me has mentioned, it's nice to have a familar feeling and all the freedom one expects from a linux OS.

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

Interesting thread. I'm just moving over from WinPhone ICON to the Note 4. I'm looking forward to using an OS that is here and now and not one I am constantly waiting for. My last Android phone was about 3 years ago. It's time to see what the rest of the world is doing.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

I didn't choose Android.
I buy whichever phone is the best within my budget regardless of which OS it runs.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Android to me, is more flexible, customizable, and fun. This iPhone 6+ is just a phone. A good phone, but it's just so basic.

🍄VI+🍎🐛

beckyhan

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site

My first phone is Nokia, my second is android, my third one is ios. And I bet my fourth one is android. I will choose android, cuz I think I can find more mature and good apps in android. Now with the update of android system, the app management will be better. :)

akawarrior

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
I used to work for a company that bought nothing but Apple products. I learned to just hate them. The Apple products that is. Crashing all the time, non-user friendly and non-productive. Windows phones not on the market but would not have bought one anyway. Flip phones reminded me of "some place where man should never go". So, with some research found a secure smart phone and it sounded great. I picked Blackberry. Loved it. Could rip out almost all bloat ware and build the core OS in modules like I wanted. Could reduce the size of the core to light weight in size but yet keep full basic funcitionality. Plug in more apps and run clean and fast. Was happy with my Frankinstine phones for years and years. Then BlackBerry came out with the z10 that could run up to Android 4.2 apps and direct load them on OS 10.2.1xxxx. Took BlackBerry 2 years to come out with a really well working version that worked with both BlackBerry & Android apps. Blackberry has some great apps but user interest was moving on and BlackBerry was loosing developers to Android. With Android OS moving on past 4.2 it became a fact that I was loosing out on some really cool app support. Being a long term die hard BlackBerry fan. It took me a while to realize it was time to make the jump to more power and fluentcy.
Not to mention better communications on all radio platforms. I still loved BlackBerry but every bird has to fly the nest sometime. Now was my time to do so. Convinced my wife to do the same as she was a iPhone user for strictly fad, friend pressure and of course iPhone marketing.
Both her and I made the jump to Android with her kicking and screaming all the way. I knew if I could get her to try it she would quickly love it over the iPhone and she did. She now can't believe she fought me for so long over the switch. I knew I could win her over from already dealing with Android via the Blackberry. I think BlackBerry made a boo boo when bringing Android apps to Blackberry. They thought that the developers were moving away from them and going to Android, so to keep people buying Blackberries they would drag the sales on by doing so. Problem here being was they drug the taste of Android onto the Blackberry table. Giving the end user the idea of why should I be limited to 4.2 runs when I can have the real deal. Google added to the BlackBerry pain by regulation of Android apps with the Playstore not opening to them as well. Even though there were work arounds being developed. End result was why work so hard when you don't have to. Just go Droid and get more power as well. Ahhhh Ahhhh More Power! Poof, here we are.. We have been Droided. Wife now agrees. She is a picture taker and she is taking her best pictures ever with out even trying. We both as of 2 weeks ago Samsung Galaxy Mega 2's. Great phones.. Super performance for our simple needs.
Love the bigger screen for both of us. Getting older and eyesight is not what it used to be..

Akawarrior.. :)

Via : Galaxy Mega 2 - Kitkat 4.4

Last edited:

osallent

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I was a WP user, but I got tired of some apps being unavailable or slow to update. I still prefer the Windows UI, but one can't beat the variety of hardware and the rich ecosystem of Android.

Post made possible by Sony Xperia Z3 via the Android Central App

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site

I left Windows Phone because the app situation became untenable. Everyone strongly recommended the iPhone, so I bought an iPhone 6 Plus, but after six weeks I just didn't like the hardware or the UI, so I started looking at Android. I traded the iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and the experience was much better but still not exactly right. Then I downloaded Aviate and I was finally satisfied. I'm with Android because it has better hardware and UI than Apple and better apps than Windows Phone.

Flinthills

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site

About 4 phones ago it was very difficult to get outlook to work on my phone without paying for software that needed to be installed on my laptop and phone. Went with Google calendar and never looked back.

The laptop and phone appointments are always in sync. Then the company posted a database to the cloud that is accessed thru Chrome.

So it's the data that I need access to that drove the need for an android phone. And the Note 4 does a wonderful job.

Posted via the Android Central App

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

iOS = for general public that doesn't want to fuss around with anything and it has all the best apps most frequently updated and always top of the line hardware(iPhone)

Android = more for tech geeks that want loads of customization options, more diverse hardware to choose from(high to medium to low end)

Windows Phone = for people who want the simplicity of iOS but can't afford iPhone

DriftSlave

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site

Android phones are pretty legit, I like alot of them specifically the Nexus line, Sony's Xperia Z line, the One+1, and now since I had the honor to demo the Hauwei Honor 6, I'm a fan of Hauwei as well.

The OS itself is pretty cool, I never liked Windows OS, and I don't hate iOS it's just that Android allows me to freely change and modify more aspects of the phone than the other two. Recently with Android 5.0 Lollipop I've been a real fan of the UI, Material design really pops and it's colorful. The rest of the android eco-system is okay, I haven't really bought into all of it though I am interested in Android wear. I don't really see a point in Android TV or their chromebooks...in fact I think those are among their weakest platforms...I'd rather have a Chromecast or gaming console of choice and a Macbook/laptop respectfully but...to each their own right?

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site

In short, my original Android phone (an LG Lucid POS) was purchased because it wasn't Apple which is IMHO over-hyped to a fare-thee-well and the "image" they convey to me is simply no where near who I am anyway. I have since graduated to a Droid RAZR Max HD 32GB which works very well still, plus a Nexus 7 (2012). My wife, my son and his wife all use Apple products (like lemmings actually lol) so I have some real experience with iOS8 (and earlier) and I can say that I think it really is a clunky, obtuse and illogical operating system in my mind.

I guess to be fair, I am a long time (since the early 1980s) programmer and currently a SQL Server database administrator and programmer so perhaps I am biased?

MinhJWaterman

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

Android phones are more flexible. It has better hardware and user interface. I like android phone very much due to its affordable pricing range.

Glad Gib

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

Personally I think that android phones worth more that Apple phones since they are obviously cheaper and there are so many android phones to choose from... More apps from the Google Playstore and stuff

JPT Games

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

Open source will always win my favor.
You can run any non-market app.
Android has a file system like you do on a computer. You can edit/download/upload save files.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confteam