Why does my Galaxy S5 connect to wifi but gets no internet?

voodooshama

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy S5 connects to WIFI, but gets no internet, PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone, struggling with this right now. My wife & I both have Galaxy S5's, each have tablets & my son has iPad, also have a laptop that all connect to WIFI to internet no problem - EXCEPT MY GALAXY S5. I don't understand what is going on. I have gone into my router, can see the phone there in the list of connected devices. Checked to see if the phone was blockedIt seems that my wifi on my phone is connecting to the router, then off, then on, then off. Sometimes it connects for like 10 seconds, then I can open a page, then it wont go again.

Is there a way I can go into my application manager on the phone & force stop the wifi or delete the cache on the wifi? it is clear that the issue is on the S5's end.

PLEASE somebody help! Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 connects to WIFI, but gets no internet, PLEASE HELP

Welcome to Android Central! Did your S5 recently update to Lollipop? There's a common glitch involving the Smart Network Switcher. Go to Settings>Wi-fi, tap Menu>Advanced, and turn off Smart Network Switch.

CMwojno

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same issue described, but the 'Smart network switch' is off. I have also tried forgetting the connection and re-entering the password and ID, nothing is working. This is an S5 issue as it say's it connects to multiple wifi's but I am not getting access to the internet. I previously did not have any issues. I only recently questioned my inability to gain internet access.

Johnny Chan1

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue after the Lolipop 5 upgrade. It was working fine before the upgrade. Forgetting the connection and re-connect doesn't help. I tried static IP setup and it doesn't work as well. Even tried wipe the cache partition and it didn't work out as well.

memomz1

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem- connected to wifi but couldn't connect to Internet- and this fixed it: go to settings - select Backup and reset - select Reset settings - this will not remove data or apps but you will need to reconnect to wifi with your password. Verizon and Samsung couldn't help me and as a last resort I was going to factory data reset it which removes everything... glad I chose the other option. Good luck!

Justin Coleman2

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem- connected to wifi but couldn't connect to Internet- and this fixed it: go to settings - select Backup and reset - select Reset settings - this will not remove data or apps but you will need to reconnect to wifi with your password. Verizon and Samsung couldn't help me and as a last resort I was going to factory data reset it which removes everything... glad I chose the other option. Good luck!

I am having the same trouble, but I don't have the option of reset settings.

HookUp31

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I solve it by changing to static ip but changing the last three digits of the ip #. There was a conflict with two devices using the same ip and none of them worked.

brackenmakay

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
It could have been a router issue. Maybe you just have an old router and may need to update. I had the same issue but I fixed it by restarting my phone and it worked afterwards. Also it helped for me to disable Mobile data before accessing wifi.

snawaf01

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
same thing if u solve the issue pls let me know
i bout this new router setup
its working my pc and brothers phones all are connect but mine its an samsung s5
(I don't have the option of reset settings.)

bennerebe

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Having the same problem. I also do not have the option to just "reset settings". I was having some other issues and just did a factory reset 5 days ago... me thinks it's time for a new phont :p

crumb

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I solve it by changing to static ip but changing the last three digits of the ip #. There was a conflict with two devices using the same ip and none of them worked.

This was my problem. I just needed to set the router to give me a static ip address.

bdnremtp

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 connects to WIFI, but gets no internet, PLEASE HELP

Reset settings worked for me, I had to reboot the phone first though.

Posted via Android Central App

Madhu Akash

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
if u r using a usb wifi device first go to network and sharing center and click on wifi adapter and then click properties then click on configure and ill see and wireless mode on down click on that and change it to IEEE 802.11B DO NOT CHANGE TO ANY OTHER SETTINGS

anacortesjim

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Having the same problem. I also do not have the option to just "reset settings". I was having some other issues and just did a factory reset 5 days ago... me thinks it's time for a new phont :p

I had this issue on my work G5 and my personal G5. My data charges were costing me a fortune since I couldn't connect with WIFI. They would connect to networks, but with no internet connectivity.

It ended up being a problem with Chrome. I had to update Chrome on both phones with latest updates and the issue stopped.

You can go to Google Play, click on horizontal lines on top left, then "my apps and games". You will see a button to update all and you should click that. You will have to click update on each window that pops up then and when you are done your phone should be fixed.

I'm surprised that Verizon seems to have no idea about this common issue.

Viital The Gamer

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks!! ???????????? I do not know how to thank you cause today i dropped my phone accidentally and was super scared cause it would have been my third broken phone

humagwa

May 30, 2013
Visit site
No, the previous is not my response. I meant to ask if the factory reset did work or not. I am having the same problem of wifi connection without internet access.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain Fluellen