Why does my messages app keep turning off text notifications?

BQ282993

Sep 23, 2022
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S9, going to need a new phone soon but not there yet. Disclaimer over.

My messages app keeps turning off my messages notification. There's a little bell at the bottom right of each of my text threads that keeps getting crossed out automatically. Happens from time to time. I tried to turn on notifications but it wont let me. I have to manually go into each of my individual text threads and turn on the "bell" to get notifications that I've received a text. It's exhausting. How to I fix this quickly &/or prevent it from happening?

BQ282993

Sep 23, 2022
Visit site
Thank you! No, DND was never turned on. I'll be texting throughout the day and all of a sudden I'll stop receiving the notifications for every single text thread. Still get notifications for my other apps. Here is a screenshot of the issue I was talking about. Those crossed out bells just come out of no where, and it's for every single text conversation. Really aggravating. I appreciate the reply!

Android.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sure sounds annoying!

Do you use a smartwatch at all that might be muting notifications on the phone?

BQ282993

Sep 23, 2022
Visit site
It comes and goes. It probably happened a few times a year or two ago, seemed to have gone away, but most recently it happened a few weeks ago and then again last night.

I spent about an hour manually turning notifications back on for the texts and then last night out of nowhere, they were all turned off again. I'll try safe mode. I really appreciate your help. Have you ever heard of this happening with galaxy phones before?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of that, but maybe @mustang7757 can weigh in. I agree that it's odd for every individual thread to become muted -- if something were muting the app, I would've expected just the main notification setting to turn to silent.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That is strange, try clearing the apps data and force stop it , it will repopulate everything as long as you have back up and sync on